He giveth more grace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Bondage and the Bible is a 60 minute independent film by Eric Harmon. This film includes the critical analysis of the Bible’s endorsement of slavery and examines the inconsistent message in the New Testament, which supports slavery and inequality.

Synopsis:

Bondage and the Bible tackles the controversial subject of African Americans who follow the bible as “the word of god” despite glaring passages that support and condone the institution of slavery. The film examines how Old Testament curses and commandments legitimizes slavery and how New Testament scriptures urge slaves to obey even the cruelest of masters. In addition, the film evaluates the psychological damage that ensues when African American people worship iconic images of a white god. Using actual bible scriptures and interviews with people ranging from biblical scholars to ordinary citizens, the film offers a diverse look at how the bible’s support of slavery allowed U.S. slave owners to pass on a religion to African Americans that guaranteed an inferior relationship to all things divine.

[underline mine]

Found on The Freethought Society website, trailer included on site.

There are no commandments to own slaves only law regulating it, where are the curses and commandments legalizing slavery? That is not how God ordained things, He did set standards and used those type of relationships to show right and wrong, to show His mercy and grace. Its funny I have never had any black, white, red or purple person say they could not believe in God because those in the bible had slaves, most come to understand the freedom in Him.

Man is corrupt beyond meaure theres no denying that, I guess I dont understand the thread.

shalom,

Mizz

Actually, there have been several threads on this board where non-believers point to this issue and use it as an excuse (one of many) for their non belief, saying that God condoned slavery. Certainly it's always refuted, but it turns into a hot issue. Of course, any excuse will do.

True and I generally stay away from them. And excuses are exactly what it is! I went to a lot of 'black' churches as a kid after all most of my family lived in Compton, Downey and the likes and we would visit neighborhood churches, never once in my life have I ever heard a person of color refer to not being able to believe in God nor Messiah because of that issue. What I usually hear is God is not the one who said to do that, that He shows us a better way For some reason the thread just struck me as odd thats all.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

True and I generally stay away from them. And excuses are exactly what it is! I went to a lot of 'black' churches as a kid after all most of my family lived in Compton, Downey and the likes and we would visit neighborhood churches, never once in my life have I ever heard a person of color refer to not being able to believe in God nor Messiah because of that issue. What I usually hear is God is not the one who said to do that, that He shows us a better way For some reason the thread just struck me as odd thats all.

I have been in about four "Black" churches and preached in one, dare any say before God that I am a rasist bigot.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Sometimes when it speaks of slavery in the Bible, it may not be the same type of slavery that we were accustom to, prior to the Civil war. They may have been servants that asked and agreed to be slaves/servants to a wealthy person. (it wasn't uncommon)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Sometimes when it speaks of slavery in the Bible, it may not be the same type of slavery that we were accustom to, prior to the Civil war. They may have been servants that asked and agreed to be slaves/servants to a wealthy person. (it wasn't uncommon)

I think jobs back then were a little harder to find than they are today and people worked off some sort of debt and this may have been called slavery.

Not to say there was no actual slaves.

This thread has become something else that what I intented it.

As thing are right now I am going to take my drama-making self off-line, for a undetermined time, if not forever.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Blessings, Monarchy! :emot-hug:

May you find peace - shalom - in the Lord.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

emot-hug.gif Monarchy emot-hug.gif

People, I am feeling better the third day, I can concenstrate on something else other that what is going on.

My imagination when I am down and weak can get out of control.

Thanks for prayers. :emot-hug:

Wake tonight.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

As thing are right now I am going to take my drama-making self off-line, for a undetermined time, if not forever.

Brother, I must be getting old, because you lost me here.

People, I am feeling better the third day, I can concenstrate on something else other that what is going on.

My imagination when I am down and weak can get out of control.

Thanks for prayers. :emot-hug:

Wake tonight.

But I am sure glad that you are back. :emot-highfive:

Brother, I must be getting old, because you lost me here.
Brother, if it is the first sentence you don't understand: I didn't intent for it to be a slavery topic so much as it was a twisting of Scripture topic.

If it is the second sentence: I imagined that I was on the top 20 members to watch list (or even shorter list). I don't ever want to bring drama to this board or make my posts so about me as it is about others and the Most Holy Godhead.

But I am sure glad that you are back. :emot-highfive:

It is a pleasure to know you, oldzimm, thanks.