• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

The president and his wife bow and curtsy to Queen Elizabeth. Other Americans who are presented before her do also. so, to say that Americans do not do such a thing is false. If your fellow countrymen do it, it is for you to follow suit also as a mark of respect for national leaders.

No, they don't. In fact, it was a point of controversy that our president bowed to the Arab despots, but didn't bow to the Queen. In fact, our First Lady violated protocol by putting her arm around the Queen as if she was nothing but an old grandmother.

None of our presidents have ever bowed. You have your facts wrong. She is your Queen and you can bow to her if you wish, but Americans don't. I never will, even if expected.

Our president also bowed to Japan's Leader.

bowing%2520to%2520the%2520emperor.jpeg

PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES bowing to Chinese

obamahujintao4-12-10+bow+2.jpg

obama-bow.jpg

Plus Bush:

bush_bow.jpg

Nixon:

20091116-fncbow1.jpg

Eisenhower bowed to French President Charles De Gaulle

bow-eisenhower.jpg

I have met a couple of Leaders of other countries, I did a head bow, while never taking my eyes off of theirs. I have also neck bowed to Vietnamese Officers, Thailand Officers, and have returned salutes from Russians soldiers, plus necked bowed to just plain old folk out of respect, however, I always maintained eye contact. I am the Servent of the Lord, Jesus, no better then any other man on earth. Respect does not mean given up your position, and before anyone gets the idea, no I would not bow to satan.

Just the Facts: ~~~Dennis

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I am appalled at these Presidents bowing to foreign leaders! No matter, I (and many others here and around the country) would never bow to any of these people. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It just goes to show you that people do not understand a monarchy.

You're right, Axe, we don't. But....what are the chances any of us will ever meet Queen Elizabeth or any of the other crowned heads of Europe? I don't consider any of those M.E. despots rulers so I don't include them. There are some legitimate kings in Africa too although I can't think of their names. Anyway, it's an American thing; we are still defiant 236 years after declaring ourselves independent of the British monarchy. :rolleyes:

Is there a reason to thumb one's nose at propriety, though?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

As the saying goes just because someone jumps off a bridge do i have to do it too?

When the presidents bowed before these men to me it is saying the men they bowed to are more higher then they

are which in fact they are equal to each other.

Call me crazy if you would like but I wouldn't still do that if I was still the first woman president meeting another leader.

Bowing to a head of state is a mark of respect, and humility, and nothing else, and it is definitely not a matter of worship.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Oh I understand. Which is why I DON'T and WON'T bow. Sorry to the Brits. But if the Monarchy wants my respect they are going to have to earn it. Bring on the Republic. Why do I humble myself before the Queen? noidea.gif Why does a family have power, just because their ancestors did? noidea.gif For reals??? It's 2012.

Oh I understand. Which is why I DON'T and WON'T bow. Sorry to the Brits. But if the Monarchy wants my respect they are going to have to earn it. Bring on the Republic. Why do I humble myself before the Queen? noidea.gif Why does a family have power, just because their ancestors did? noidea.gif For reals??? It's 2012.

I hope this isn't typical of all Americans. My goodness.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I'm not American. I am Australian, and I am a part of the Commonwealth. I don't want to be. I don't believe in the Monarchy. I believe rulers should be democratically elected, not retaining power merely because their rello's were in power. The Monarchy flies against my idea of representation in the government. It is something I am very passionate about. Other forms of unelected power are strenuously opposed, why can't I oppose the Monarchy? There is only one King I will bow to. When the Queen visits, I intentionally avoid where she will be (she was in my town recently) so that I don't cause a public scene by not bowing. I'm not about to cause a riot, I just do not respect the Monarchy and won't bow.

I'm not American. I am Australian, and I am a part of the Commonwealth. I don't want to be. I don't believe in the Monarchy. I believe rulers should be democratically elected, not retaining power merely because their rello's were in power. The Monarchy flies against my idea of representation in the government. It is something I am very passionate about. Other forms of unelected power are strenuously opposed, why can't I oppose the Monarchy? There is only one King I will bow to. When the Queen visits, I intentionally avoid where she will be (she was in my town recently) so that I don't cause a public scene by not bowing. I'm not about to cause a riot, I just do not respect the Monarchy and won't bow.

Well, I think you respect it enough that you avoided showing your disrespect. Good on you.