Khristeeanos

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

I noticed that some topics get hundreds of posts a week and others are barely sniffed at.

Example:

In the thread Christian love, How do we show it to other believers?, there are just 22 posts total.

And that was probably only because I bumped up this thread after a day of no posts.

And in a thread debating Once Saved-Always Saved, we had 133 posts and that was only stopped because the topic became heated and thankfully a moderator stepped in and closed the thread.

These two threads were authored on the same day if I am correct.

Why are we as Christians so eager to condemn other people for their beliefs yet we are unwilling to attempt to love each other as we are?

Christ didn't demand people change before they came to Him. He loved them where they were and then after that He said to change (forsake sin).

I look back on my last few years and remember being so zealous to tell people my opinion on OSAS that I would search dozens of websites every night looking to see if they believed it or not and then emailing them to tell them that they were wrong. I was very abrasive in my tone and now that I look back, I see how harmful this was to the Body of Christ.

I was busy tearing others down instead of loving them.

The main question I have is this:

Is our understanding of doctrine and our prideful thinking that we have 100% correct theology more important to us than the "Great Commandment" to love God and others before ourselves?

John 13:34-35 (NIV)

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Dunno why.

Trying to make ourselves look smart by showing others how stupid they are, I guess.

What troubles me is my lack of attention to the Prayer threads, also.

I'm trying to be there more over the next few years.

(Making resolutions early, I guess)

Good topic.

We are supposed to lift each other up.

t.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Dunno why.

Trying to make ourselves look smart by showing others how stupid they are, I guess.

What troubles me is my lack of attention to the Prayer threads, also.

I'm trying to be there more over the next few years.

(Making resolutions early, I guess)

Good topic.

We are supposed to lift each other up.

t.

Thats probably it, but i post on a whole lot of different threads and i don't think i do not pick one or the other... even though im in alot of these fites lol

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Dime I understand what you are saying....but I think the thread on Love that you initiated is far less controversial than the never-ending-story of OSAS vs CS...most people would agree with the definitions of 4 types of love and be quick admit their short-comings...hence many replies just giving a thumbs-up.

The other issue involves core beliefs and sometimes as others have pointed out a lot of pride is involved...but also it is a Forum and a good medium to thrash out all our understanding concerning the various positions and to try and articulate by proper use of Scripture and deep consideration of each others point of view...this also involves love.

That some people may get overly heated at times is part of the human condition...we are all different...and some things/subjects/attitudes get us to boiling point in double quick time and this subject can do that more than most...but I like a good argument and a challenge and welcome heated debate...others don't and take offense quickly.

We can be sure that under the right sort of pressure what is in us will come out of us...hence we need to guard our hearts at all times and constantly be changing as we become more Messiah-like. Our security here should be that if we blow it and mess up through any number of things...being prideful,boastful,judgemental,angry,

unloving et alia we can say sorry/repent/apologize and get on with. I like to see love in operation under stressful situations or controversial arguments and discussions...at least on a Forum you can take a deep breath count up to 10 and then re-write all you have just written!

So in answer to your main question....

Is our understanding of doctrine and our prideful thinking that we have 100% correct theology more important to us than the "Great Commandment" to love God and others before ourselves?

We need to check our motives/attitudes continually whatever we are discussing at the same time constantly updating/double-checking our doctrine according to personal faith and revelation from the Scriptures.

Acts 17:11 And these were more noble than those of Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind and searched the Scriptures daily to see if those things were so.

Acts 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Act 17:3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.

Laying pride aside...if you are passionate about something you will not be passive.

On the street am I going to seek to discuss at length the doctrine of OSAS...or any doctrine for that matter?....no I am going to preach Christ.

BUT...on the Forum there are certain things I personally find stimulating and edifying to discuss...they challenge my own stance and my attitudes (which have not always been brilliant) and many times help me get a fuller picture.

We can love each other but argue passionately...even over some funny things.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Why are we as Christians so eager to condemn other people for their beliefs yet we are unwilling to attempt to love each other as we are?

excellent question!!! :laugh:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

The thing is, there has to be a balance between the two. A person can be the most loving person in the world, but if their doctrine is not sound then it's not worth it. Likewise, a person could possibly attain 100% infallible doctrine, yet if they have not love then it's worth nothing.

In reality, you cannot posess one without the other. It is impossible to truly love if your doctrine is false and it is impossible to have perfect doctrine if you lack love. Both, if practiced properly, inevitably lead to strengthen the other.

That said, I think sometimes on the boards you're going to see a different side of people. Message boards are really one dimensional, sometimes two. We only get to see a single portion of a person's life and attitude. I'll use myself as an example (not in an arrogant way, but because I don't know what people are like outside the boards except for me):

On the boards I come across as a complete butt sometimes. I realize this but it's because in doctrinal debates I like to stick to the facts and try to stay on them. So it can be really annoying at times to other people. Does this mean I lack love? Well, it means I lack a loving touch, that I will admit (and I'm working on). At the same time though, in real life, I'm the complete opposite. I spend my time serving others and trying to help them. Granted I fail often and probably don't do as well as I should, but I strive serving more than I do debating. That's what I mean about message boards only showing you one side of the story. We only get a brief look into someone's life, so it's wrong to make a judgement about the person.

In the end, yes, we all need to work a little more on having a loving attitude, at the same time, we should try to understand that even if a person comes across as unloving, we're not getting the entire picture.

Guest Thomas I believe

Hi Dime, I too yesterday was upset by a competeitive attitude i saw 1 person write. They were worried that they were'nt getting credits for there post. I would say this; Is worthy here for us to compete ? or is it here for God to do his work? well my answer is the second. We all need to Love each other first. I agree.. Some people may have the Bible memorized and thats good, but to inflict wounds to another (newer ) Christian, saying they don't know boo !! is an injustice to God. "God" , lead all of us to worthy, God told George to make this site and whoever else helped. Thank-You George!!! I agree this is for Gods Glory not ours. I am new here so maybe i don't have a right to really say anything! I know one thing though, Jesus saves us thru his blood and anyone thats here in this site is just as worthy as anyone else.. We are all Brothers and Sisters in Him, the one that brought us here. Love each other Jesus said.... Thats what we need to do.. Sincerely , Michael :hug:

Edited by Thomas I beleive

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Once we say: "Gee I like you!"

And the other replies: "I like you a lot too!" The only place for the conversation to go is something like this: "I love you MORE than you love me..."

"No, I love YOU more than you love me......."

"I love you SOOOOOO much......."

And it probably would get boring, whereas spirited discussion is simply more interesting.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Once we say: "Gee I like you!"

And the other replies: "I like you a lot too!" The only place for the conversation to go is something like this: "I love you MORE than you love me..."

"No, I love YOU more than you love me......."

"I love you SOOOOOO much......."

And it probably would get boring, whereas spirited discussion is simply more interesting.

it's also easy to have a discussion over non-essential issues without getting spirited.