Sevenseas

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I Tim.5:22.......I have heard and read diff meanings or interpretations.....

Lay hands suddenly on no man - Some have understood this of laying on hands to heal the sick (Koppe); others of the laying on of hands to absolve penitents, but the obvious meaning is to refer it to ordination. It was usual to lay the hands on the heads of those who were ordained to a sacred office, or appointed to perform an important duty; notes, 1

Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.

(NIV)

Do not lay hands upon anyone too hastily and thereby share responsibility for the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin.

(NAS)

Lay hands hastily on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep yourself pure.

(KJ)

and the following (not the best translation but including as they are saying something a little diff)

Never be in a hurry about appointing a church leader. Do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.

(New Living Tran)

Do not ordain anyone hastily. Do not participate in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.

International Standard Version)

Question: What is the real intent of these instructions to Timothy and can we interpret this in more than one way?

Just wondering how others 'see' this verse and if you credit more than one meaning to it?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

A good example....

A local church where I live, appointed a lesbian woman pastor of their church.....

The passages of which you have shared with us, seem to tell us that we need to take caution in whom we allow ourselves to be taught by.

Also that we need to appoint leaders who are willingly submitting themselves to God and His will. This of course means that when we lay

hands on someone to accept him/her as our anointed...much like we appoint our president to govern and lead our nation, that the individual's

relationship with God should be taken into due consideration.

Just my two cents.

Just Another Sinner Seeking The Way

Dani