• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/22/1971

Do you ever get those times when a Bible passage just leaps out and grabs hold of you powerfully to the point where you are moved to tears - those times when you feel you have really met with God.

Well that happened to me today. I cannot be proud or boastful: it simply showed up how pathetic my Christian life can be.

The passage in question is Revelation 3:20: ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me’ (ESV). It’s such a well known verse that’s it easy to forget what it is really about. It’s often used to invite non-Christians to invite Jesus into their lives. But that is to take the verse out of context. This letter is actually written to Christians. To a church.

Read the whole letter to the church in Laodicea. What’s it about? Jesus says: ‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot!’ This verse used to puzzle me - I used to think that hot meant on fire for Jesus and cold meant the opposite. Of course hot or cold in that sense is modern day idiom. Wind back the clock 2,000 years. Hot water was good for washing and cooking. Cold water was cool and refreshing. But luke warm water? Good for nothing. (Drinking Luke warm water is horrible - no wonder Jesus wants to spit it out.)

It’s like we’ve become good for nothing; no use to Jesus. It’s arrived at the point where he is actually outside our lives, outside our churches looking in, standing outside and excluded. There we are thinking everything is going swimmingly well: ‘I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing,’ we say. And the reality: ‘you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.’

Not sure why but the whole passage moved me deeply today. I looked at the state of the church in my country (England) and my own life and just cried. Oh God let this change; let us buy gold refined by your fire, clothe us in your robes, and cleanse our eyes. Let me be hot or cold rather than horrible useless, lukewarm, good for nothing water.

Hope it's okay to share this.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Do you ever get those times when a Bible passage just leaps out and grabs hold of you powerfully to the point where you are moved to tears - those times when you feel you have really met with God.

Well that happened to me today. I cannot be proud or boastful: it simply showed up how pathetic my Christian life can be.

The passage in question is Revelation 3:20: ‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me’ (ESV). It’s such a well known verse that’s it easy to forget what it is really about. It’s often used to invite non-Christians to invite Jesus into their lives. But that is to take the verse out of context. This letter is actually written to Christians. To a church.

Read the whole letter to the church in Laodicea. What’s it about? Jesus says: ‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot!’ This verse used to puzzle me - I used to think that hot meant on fire for Jesus and cold meant the opposite. Of course hot or cold in that sense is modern day idiom. Wind back the clock 2,000 years. Hot water was good for washing and cooking. Cold water was cool and refreshing. But luke warm water? Good for nothing. (Drinking Luke warm water is horrible - no wonder Jesus wants to spit it out.)

It’s like we’ve become good for nothing; no use to Jesus. It’s arrived at the point where he is actually outside our lives, outside our churches looking in, standing outside and excluded. There we are thinking everything is going swimmingly well: ‘I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing,’ we say. And the reality: ‘you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.’

Not sure why but the whole passage moved me deeply today. I looked at the state of the church in my country (England) and my own life and just cried. Oh God let this change; let us buy gold refined by your fire, clothe us in your robes, and cleanse our eyes. Let me be hot or cold rather than horrible useless, lukewarm, good for nothing water.

Rich

Thank you for posting this.

thumbsup.gif

Has scripture ever jumped out at me? Yes...the first time this occurred was when I found myself looking into the book of Job. At the time there were many questions as well as doubts within my heart concerning suffering. God's word still does that today for me and likely will continue to. Another one is in the book of Ecclesiastes in reference to there being a time and place for everything under heaven. There are so many others too...such as certain verses as well as chapters of James that speak in reference to the tongue as well as walking in faith. Having faith...is one thing....living it and working it.....is another and one that so often any more today seems to have been forgotten along the way. Recently too when looking into scripture for instruction on the church....this may seem strange but I was moved to the point of tears when reading passages in regards of what women should adorn themselves in within the church. It has been an eye opening passage for me as it is now something I practice.... in accordance to the written word rather than the things in which I had been taught as a small child.

1 Timothy 2:1-15 (NIV) I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time. 7 And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying —and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. 9 I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

As a young girl I was taught that one had to look one's best for God. This meant wearing the best of what one had....my nicest dress, shoes, hair pins, jewelry. Seeking instruction on the church, I found the above passages truly ones that spoke to me. Notice too the words written in regards of a woman's role within the church, quiet obedience. It makes me think of a woman in the Old Testament. This being Hannah.....who came quietly and with her whole heart to God in prayer. Then in truth....there likely is no place a man or woman could be stronger than down on bended knee.

Just Another Sinner Seeking The Way

Dani

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/20/1956

I really enjoyed what you shared! Great! Thank you! May the LORD continue to speak to you and continue to flow, "Rivers of living water," from the depths of your being into the lives of those around you! Sincerely, Roger

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Rich, what you are describing is called revelation. One can read the words in the bible. One can understand the words that are printed on the page. One can come to a conclusion as to what they mean. But in the end the one has only been doing that which is of self. A carnal rendering. Revelation is when God brings the word to life in your heart causing conviction and real godly sorrow unto repentance. What a blessing it is! Jesus warned, take heed what your hear and more will be given to you, do not take heed and even that which you have will be taken from you. I pray you take heed to what has been revealed to your heart and that it moves you to obediently request more and more, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, so that you will be filled and overflowing.

In the Name of Our Lord,

Gary

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yes!

The interesting thing about this passage is that Laodicea was built by waters that were lukewarm! There were two rivers feeding into their river - one from hot springs and one from the mountains. The water from the hot springs were used for healing. The water from the mountains was cool and refreshing for drinking.

The Laodiceans were given a slap in the face with a visual reality they had to live with. Their physical illustrated their spiritual state.