• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

The baptism that is being expressed by the OP is one that was done at that time to help spread the gospel, but we no longer receive.

Is there a Scripture for this, that the Holy Spirit no longer falls upon us?

~~

Acts 8

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike. 13 Even Simon himself believed ; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip, and as he observed signs and great miracles taking place, he was constantly amazed. 14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.

Acts 19

1 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. 2 He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed ?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." 3 And he said, "Into what then were you baptized ?" And they said, "Into John's baptism." 4 Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7 There were in all about twelve men.

You are taking something that God allowed to be done back then to done to us today. The Apostles could pass on the gifts to people, but those people could not pass them on to anybody else. The specific gifts of speaking in tongues (which is nothing more than speaking another language to spreday the gospel to other nations), healing, drinking poison, rasing the dead, causing others to die (Anninias and Saphira), heall the sick, etc. The next time you think that these abilities the HS gave them back them apply to you today then trying doing everything they had the ability to do. If you really believe that we get the HS in the form of the same gifts that they got back then you should be able to everything that they did back then.

The way it was supposed to be for the rest of us and was promised to all those afar off is that when we hear the goepel and are pricked in our hearts we are supposed to repent and be baptized for the remission of our sins and THEN we will receive the gift of the HS. This is the faith that we aree saved by. After I hear the gospel through faith I repent and get baptized because through my faith I will have my sins remitted and get the HS. Through faith I know my sins will be forgiven in baptism**. Through my faith I know that I am added to the church. Through my faith I take the Lord's Supper or I have no life in me. Through my faith I daily repent of my sins and pray to God for forgiveness. Through faith I continue in the faith or I will be cut off (Rom 11:22). I show my faith through my works (obeying the gospel)

**Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Our sins are cut away.

Your basic premise is that the things that happened in the new testament period by the Apostles is not for today. Well let's start with one person who went to be with the Lord in 1947. One person who Defies your premise. One person whom if you do your research on, will disprove much of what you have said.

Smith Wigglesworth

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

These 7 verses show the Holy Spirit is INSIDE believers:

John 14:16-23, Romans 8:11, 1 Cor. 3:16, Galatians 4:6, 2 Timothy 1:14, 1 John 3:24, 1 John 4:12-16

There is absolutely NO mention of the Holy Spirit coming UPON or resting UPON anyone.

These 7 verses show the Holy Spirit comes UPON believers when receiving the Holy Spirit baptism:

Luke 24:49, Acts 1:4-8, Acts 2:1-4, Acts 8:14-19, Acts 10:44-48, Acts 11:15-17, Acts 19:5-6

There is absolutely NO mention of the Holy Spirit being INSIDE, moving INSIDE, etc.

In these 7 passages, UPON is linked with:

Luke 24:49 ------ the promise … power

Acts 1:4-8 –----- the promise … power … baptism with Holy Spirit

Acts 8:14-19 –-- power … received Holy Spirit … laying on of hands

Acts 2:1-4 –----- speaking in tongues … filled with Holy Spirit

Acts 10:44-48 -- speaking in tongues … received Holy Spirit … the gift

Acts 19:5-6 ----- speaking in tongues … baptism with Holy Spirit … laying on of hands

Acts 11:15-17 -- baptism with Holy Spirit … the gift

Please note that "promise" and "gift" are referring to the baptism with the Holy Spirit, not salvation.

Please note that "power" is referring to spiritual power from God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  03/25/1993

SoGrateful, you are gravely mistaken. God's Word says:

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism...

There is only one baptism!

How could there be more than one baptism when Paul affirms that there is but one?

Edited by AlexanderJ

How could there be more than one baptism when Paul affirms that there is but one?

How could there be just one baptism when we have Hebrews 6:1-2 ... post #5 is mandatory reading!

Try it ... you might like it.

Edited by SoGrateful

The word "baptisms" in Hebrews is not refering to Christian baptism. As Constable says:

"Washings" evidently refers to the doctrine of spiritual cleansing. The Greek word translated "washings" is baptismos that refers to Jewish ceremonial washings whenever it occurs in the New Testament (Mark 7:4,8 & Hebrews 9:10) baptism. A different Greek word (baptisma) describes Christian baptism. This means the writer here referred not to baptism but to spiritual cleansing.

The word "baptisms" in Hebrews is not refering to Christian baptism. As Constable says:

"Washings" evidently refers to the doctrine of spiritual cleansing.

The Greek word translated "washings" is baptismos that refers to Jewish ceremonial washings

whenever it occurs in the New Testament (Mark 7:4,8 & Hebrews 9:10) baptism.

A different Greek word (baptisma) describes Christian baptism.

This means the writer here referred not to baptism but to spiritual cleansing.

His "evidently" shows that he's not so sure.

How does this verse, and da water baptism verses, and da fire baptism verses, fit into his/your theory?

“For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body (the church)

… and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.” (1 Corinthians 12:13)

Anyone with a brain should be able to see more than one baptism!

Don't trust what man says (your big C may not even be born-again) ... trust the word and the Spirit.

Edited by SoGrateful