• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

" "Aren't tattoos evil?""

No, they are no more evil than a theatrical mask one can buy and wear, but some are very ugly, and a few are quite disturbing. Like the quite large one I have seen on a mans back. It was a Centaur, a half man, and half horse, in the act of raping a virgin. We know in Greek mythology a Centaur the body of a horse but, in place of the horse's head it has the torso, head and arms of a man. They are wild and savage creatures, known for lustfulness and drunkeness.

Not a pretty tattoo and one deeply regretted and covered at all times! A visist to a state correctional center is an eye opener regarding tattoo's.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Please read this article. I just found it and the writer has made some interesting observations as to wether or not christians should have tattoos that I hadn't even noticed myself.

http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=230

I'm not sure wether this was mentioned before in this thread, but Paul says in 1 Thessalonians 5:22 "Abstain from all appearance of evil". I would definately classify a tattoo is an appearance of evil...right?

Hmm. A dangerous perspective to take. As I stated previously in this thread, my entire right arm is sleeved with tattoos, and I have several other tattoos in various other places on my upper body. Would you therefore classify me as evil, even though I'm on my own Christian walk? I think the word APPEARANCE may be deceiving you a little bit. Appearance in the context meant by Paul is in reference to a person's lifestyle, actions, deeds, works. How you "appear" to the world, not a reference to your physical appearance. Would then a person who has a facial deformation be evil as well? That's where it gets a little dicey.

I would never ever consider your looks or compare your lifestyle with anything to do with your salvation. I epsecially would not consider you evil because of your apearence at all. I'm sure if you had a skull and crossbones tattoo'd on you face with the words "Death Too All I See" you would not feel comefortable in public, and especially uncomefortable in a group of God's people?

Anything one does before one is born again is forgiven by God. After the new birth one is more carefull with what one does in all aspects of life. One of my neighbours had,

"EAT SH#T AND DIE," tattoo'd across his forhead, "DEVILS ADVOCATE" on his chest, and "JYPSY JOKER," on his back, in his early twenties during his time as a member of a rebel motorcycle gang. He now in his 50's and deeply regrets his discision and he cannot afford to have them removed. He knows its because these tattoo's he is unemployable and his life is a misery.

Well, getting a tattoo on your forehead, regardless of content, is definitely a foolish move, haha, at least in today's world. You might be able to get a job at Hot Topic or something, MAYBE. But as you say, it's got nothing to do with salvation. I think the world spends too much time worrying about our fleshly appearances, and less time worrying about our MORAL appearances... which are looking a bit shabby if you ask me.

Correct mate. Like the young men and women leaving the pubs and clubs in the early hours on Saturday mornings, falling down drunk and relieving themselves in shop front doorways in Kings Cross Sydney!

Please read this article. I just found it and the writer has made some interesting observations as to wether or not christians should have tattoos that I hadn't even noticed myself.

http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=230

Thanks for the heads up mate. Good article.

This Old TestamentScripture "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:28), naturally only applys to those born again. What a person did before turning to Christ is all forgiven.

This Old TestamentScripture "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:28), naturally only applys to those born again. What a person did before turning to Christ is all forgiven.

Yea, I agree with that. We can't change our past we can only go forward from here; just because someone has a tattoo won't hinder anyone from being born again.

Edited by Way195

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

http://www.bible.com...sult.php?id=230

The problem I'm having with that is this. If you choose not to get tats on the grounds of Leviticus 19:28, then you're kinda screwed when it comes to a great many other aspects of life, like shellfish, multi blend clothing, etc. These kinds of ritualistic, cleanliness laws were atoned for by Christ on the cross. They were eternally fulfilled by his sin sacrifice. He states in the New Testament the LAWS which were kept regarding stealing, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, etc. but the majority of the OT practices like this one were atoned for.

The problem I'm having with that is this. If you choose not to get tats on the grounds of Leviticus 19:28, then you're kinda screwed when it comes to a great many other aspects of life, like shellfish, multi blend clothing, etc. These kinds of ritualistic, cleanliness laws were atoned for by Christ on the cross. They were eternally fulfilled by his sin sacrifice. He states in the New Testament the LAWS which were kept regarding stealing, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, etc. but the majority of the OT practices like this one were atoned for.

Dont be having problems mate. You are correct! The Old Testament Laws were given by God through Moses to Israel. They were between God and Israel! They are all done away with on the cross. All except 9 of the 10 commandments, keeping the sabbath. Isiah 1:13-14. We can observe any day we please now.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

Dont be having problems mate. You are correct! The Old Testament Laws were given by God through Moses to Israel. They were between God and Israel! They are all done away with on the cross. All except 9 of the 10 commandments, keeping the sabbath. Isiah 1:13-14. We can observe any day we please now.

Probably a poor choice of words, I didn't mean to imply that I had a problem so to speak. Just a miscommunication about the relevance of the Levitical statement about tattoos. Sorry for the mixup, :mgcheerful:

There are a few of the commandments in the old testament that were not reinstated in the new, but you will find that Jesus endorsed a good many of them in his teaching. But yea, the ones that weren't mentioned in the new testament we would have a basis to consider void.

As to our subject of tattoos again, take note of the piont that is made about our bodies being the temple of God.

OUR BODIES ARE A TEMPLE

When the Lord created man and woman and placed them in the garden along with His other creations. He spoke these words in Genesis 1:31, "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." When the Lord created the human body, He pronounced that the way He created it was very good. The Lord desires that our bodies be a reflection of His own beauty. When people tattoo their bodies they are tampering with what the Lord said was very good the way He made it. We should never mark our bodies as this is unnatural. Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and we are admonished not to defile them. Tattoos on one's body is like graffiti on a wall. Having tattoos on our bodies does not glorify God.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20: "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

What is it within man that makes us dissatisfied with the way the Lord made each of us? Most people are not happy with the way they look so they seek ways that will cause them to feel better about themselves or cause others to accept them. This is not wrong when it comes to having good grooming habits, but we need to understand true beauty comes from within, not from what we wear or how we look. When the emphasis is put on the outward appearance we can be ensnared in vanity, rejection, fear, pride and even racial discrimination. One of the most wonderful things about receiving the Lord is that He wants to deliver us from the outward things that we think we need to feel good about ourselves. When we are in sin we do not feel worthy or acceptable, but through Christ we are. When we can fully walk in the knowledge that we are acceptable before God through Christ, we are then free to be the person God made us to be without having to create a different image. Many people are consumed with trying to be different or become acceptable not only by getting a tattoo but by other things as well.

Some Christians argue that they have the name Jesus or some Biblical word or sign tattooed on their body so they can witness by the tattoo. However, God is more concerned how we are living our lives than by displaying a religious mark on our body. That is not the highest way He would have us witness. The Lord would rather us witness to others by the character of Christ being demonstrated in our lives than display Christian slogans that many times are not matched by the life of Christ. Certainly, the Lord can use a tattoo of a cross or other religious symbol when a Christian has one of these as God knows the heart of the one who truly wants to share Christ with others. However, it is not necessary to use any worldly thing to attract sinners. It is the Holy Spirit who draws people to Christ through any yielded vessel of the Lord. When we pray and witness to others the Lord will cause them to listen.

Just because a person has had a tattoo, it will not prevent God from using people to witness nor keep them from being a minister of God. God looks on the heart and can use different things to testify of Christ's love, even tattoos. However, well- meaning people can be deceived in their methods of evangelism.

Guest Norrin Radd

I'm not sure wether this was mentioned before in this thread, but Paul says in 1 Thessalonians 5:22 "Abstain from all appearance of evil". I would definately classify a tattoo is an appearance of evil...right?

First of all, whether or not a tat or many other things "appears" evil is entirely in the mind of the beholder.

Secondly, the only time that verse even suggests that is in the KJV, and even then the context makes it questionable. Modern translations -- even the NKJV -- consistently render it as "every form of evil" or "every kind of evil." The context suggests the verse is not a command just sitting there by itself, but is related to the previous few sentences on judging the content of prophecy.