Why does Hell have to be eternal?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

i dont believe that hell is just a metaphore for being "snuffed" out of existence, one needs to do alot of fancy footwork with scriptures to show other wise. but on the other hand i am persuaded that there will be alot more people in heaven than most christians believe- i havn't made up my mind yet but i think those who never heard of jesus and those who were truly sincere in their beliefs but didnt accept him out of their sincerity, i think god will give them another chance to choose to follow him or not after they passed from this life to the next

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Because God said so.

Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Once everything is set, it is set for eternity. Bow the knee to Jesus today and stay that way.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Because God said so.

Not a good enough answer Gary. Punishment should fit the crime. It really sounds to me that you are unable to think of a reasonable answer. Your response is what, in my youth, was called a cop-out.

The punishment does fit the crime. Perfectly!

You are looking at the "crime" through worldly eyes, not through the eyes of a perfectly loving and just God, who understands sin as we will never be able to.

What does not fit is the reward for the sin. We don't deserve the reward, the opposite of eternal hell, which is of course eternal life. Only because God loves us, and sent His Son to die for us, are we washed clean of sin.

It's really that easy, eternal hell, or eternal life with Him.

Interesting you should say..

Why eternal punishment for such a brief period of sin?

So what is it about? The period of time one sins? Less sin, more heaven?

God knows our sinful nature, and He sent His own for every sin we have committed or will commit. No matter how long, or short our "brief period" is.

Make the most of it. You are really only here for such a short time, and eternity does await. I just don't want the hot version......

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Because God said so.

Not a good enough answer Gary. Punishment should fit the crime. It really sounds to me that you are unable to think of a reasonable answer. Your response is what, in my youth, was called a cop-out.

Celsius. Of course my answer is not good enough for you because you are god and judge all things and God has no power with you. You call it a cop-out because I bow my knee to God believing that he is God and that I need to trust in what he says even when I do not understand completely. The answer sure would be good enough if you knew God and were known of God. If his spirit were resting upon you and quickening your mortal flesh instead of being dead in sin and trespass, judging God as not qualified to be God because you cannot reasonably conclude him to be worthy of being God.

Oh that God might have mercy upon you and cut you down at the knee, humble you as he did me that you might have life. That he would pour out his grace upon you and not continue to mold you into a vessel of dishonor fit for destruction. That he might cause the scales to fall from your eyes and convert your soul in his truth. As you would make a lovely brother rather than a wandering enemy of the family who is named by his name. That we could break bread together and rejoice in his judgments! That you could come to love his precepts and know the depth of his love for you. That he might become real unto you that you might be able to endure by seeing him who is invisible. Unfortunately until that day come, if it come, you and your judgment of those that are not good enough for you will continue to separate you from them and God. Sorrow fills my heart. I long to call you brother and friend. O Lord please help this one lost sheep....seek him early.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Lately a lot of things in my life have caused me to doubt my faith. I have read the new testament over several times and most of the old testament once (I couldn't get through the last section of the old testament because frankly it was making my life overly depressing) so I have a fairly good understanding of scripture (not perfect of course, no one can have that). And besides all the usual questions that come up when reading the Bible, one really important one stood out for me:

I understand that sin requires punishment. I agree that sin requires punishment. What I don't understand is why a finite amount of sin should earn you infinite torment. Especially if you are a good person (example monks who devote their lives to meditation and better understanding).

I have heard the argument that it is because you reject God and you don't want to be with him. However this does not make sense to me because deep down we ALL want to be with God, we just let the worldly things get in the way and get lost on our path on Earth.

I'm having trouble reconcilling myself with this. I want everyone to be with me in Heaven. I really beleive that deep down everyone can be good and that this potential for good should allow them to only have only a finite amount of time in Hell.

Hell will not be forever or eternal. It is a false belief.

1Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

This is a doctrine of the devil because believing this also means that you believe that man is EQUAL to God and cannot die.

It also says that God is unable to destroy sin and sinners, but they will continue to live on forever and forever.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This belief in eternal torment also goes against the most well known passage of scripture, John.3:16, because no one will perish but EVERYONE, both the wicked and righteous will live forever.

Guest shiloh357

Because God said so.

Hell is not punishment. No one goes to hell as a punishment. You,yourself will go hell because by default, you are a sinner and have rejected Christ. Hell is the consequence of rejecting God's offer of eternal life. So itis not a case of punishing someone for a crime. That is the wrong analogy. A more proper analogy would be something like driving down a road and someone stops you and tells you the bridge is out, but you recklessly ignore the warning and plunge to your death.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Because God said so.

As I've said before, hell is eternal because the one we sin against is eternal, and so, we deserve an eternal punishment.

Without Christ and the pardon God offers, we would all go to hell because God said to make it into His heaven, we must be perfect, in thought, word, and deed.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  366
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Hell has to be eternal because mankind were created immortal beings. Man was made in the image of God, God breathed into Adam so Adam could live forever, however when Adam sinned then death was introduced as a punishment but mankind is a threefold being, body, soul and spirit (a trinity of such) so when the body is gone then the soul and spirit are left and they have to go somewhere, God is outside time so to speak, and God cannot tolerate sin, those that reject the Saviour the Lord Jesus (God Himself) have to have punishment that is the way it is.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hell has to be eternal because mankind were created immortal beings. Man was made in the image of God, God breathed into Adam so Adam could live forever, however when Adam sinned then death was introduced as a punishment but mankind is a threefold being, body, soul and spirit (a trinity of such) so when the body is gone then the soul and spirit are left and they have to go somewhere, God is outside time so to speak, and God cannot tolerate sin, those that reject the Saviour the Lord Jesus (God Himself) have to have punishment that is the way it is.

Mankind were created immortal beings? Are we little gods?

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Genesis 3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Does these texts say we were created immortal beings?

Are we eaing of the Tree of Life today?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/18/1958

Yes I have accepted Jesus, I have always been a Christian...I am just in a seeking period of my life where I am striving to better understand my faith. I don't think that every person is good, but that every person has the potential to BE good. And anyone with the potential to be good should be allowed eventual release from their tortur

It is not a matter of being good or bad but rather do we accept Christ as our savior? We all have the power to save ourselves as the thief on the cross who accepted Christ and was promised salvation. John 3:15 "that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Edited by GoldenEagle