ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

My last study on this forum was on Psalm 1. This time I am posting on the last psalm in that book, Psalm 150.

Psalm 150

This beautiful and animated psalm closes the series of the Hallelujah Psalms Ps. 146–150, and appropriately also closes the entire volume. It was manifestly designed to occupy the very place which it does occupy - to complete the volume devoted to praise. Praise is the suitable ending of the book. In the review of the whole there is occasion for praise. In view of all that has been disclosed about God, about His religion, about the manifestations of His mercy and grace to His people, there is occasion for praise. After all that has been experienced, observed, and recorded in this book - all of trial, sorrow, temptation, conflict, disappointment, sickness, bereavement, persecution, war, captivity, bondage, exile, tears, pain, darkness, trouble - there is, as the result of the whole, as there will be at the end of our own troubled and checkered lives, occasion for exultation, praise, triumph - songs, rejoicings, raptures, hallelujahs. This psalm, then, made up wholly of expressions of gratitude and praise, is an appropriate close to the entire Book of Psalms. So may our lives close, when its varied scenes are over, with thanksgivings and praises, as a proper expression in view of the past, and as emblematic of the uninterrupted employment that awaits us in the heavens.

This psalm is of the same kind and upon the same subject with the two preceding ones and is a very proper psalm to conclude this book with, being all praise. Thirteen times in this short psalm is the word "praise" used; it is so frequently and in every clause used, to show the vehement desire of the psalmist that the Lord might be praised; and to express His sense of things, how worthy He is of praise; and that all ways and means to praise Him should be made use of, all being little enough to set forth His honor and glory. And not the Levites only, whose business it was in the temple service to praise the Lord with musical instruments, are here exhorted to it, but all people even the Gentiles, even all that have breath, Psa_150:6. For this psalm belongs to the times of the Messiah; especially when all will praise the Lord, as they will have reason for it.

Each of the last five Psalms begins and ends with Praise ye the Lord. And each Psalm increases in praise, love, and joy, unto the last, which is praise celebrating its ecstasy. The elect soul, the heir of God, becomes "eaten up" with the love of God. He begins every sentence with praise; and his sentences are very short, for he is in haste to utter his next praise, and his next, and his next. He is as one out of breath with enthusiasm.

The first and last of the Psalms have both the same number of verses, are both short and very memorable; but the scope of them is very different; the first Psalm is an elaborate instruction in our duty, to prepare us for the comforts of our devotion; this is all praise. Blessed are those who meditate on God's law and do it in the first psalm. This final psalm shows fruit of that blessedness – praise.

(continued) ...

Psa 150:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

Praise God in His sanctuary - His holy place; the place where He dwells. The allusion here is, probably, to the temple, the place of His abode on earth.

Praise God in His sanctuary - We are here stirred up to praise God. Praise God for His sanctuary, and the privileges we enjoy by having it among us; praise Him because of His power and glory in the firmament. Those who praise the Lord in heaven, behold displays of His power and glory which we cannot now conceive. But the greatest of all His mighty acts is known in His earthly sanctuary. The holiness and the love of our God are more displayed in man's redemption, than in all His other works. Let us praise our God and Savior for it.

Praise Him in the firmament of his power - The whole expression is equivalent to earth and heaven; Praise Him on earth; praise Him in heaven. The word rendered firmament is the same which is used in Gen_1:6. It properly means an expanse - a thing spread out. The verb from which the word is derived means to beat; then, to beat out - that is, to spread out by beating, as gold is; and then, simply to spread out, to expand. Compare Psa_136:6 To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy endureth for ever. Isa_42:5 Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein: Isa_44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself; The call here is on all that dwell above that expanse - in heaven - to unite with those on earth in His praise.

Praise God in his sanctuary - Psalm 150:1 (Septuagint) Praise God in his holy places: praise him in the firmament of his power. The Septuagint renders it, "in His holy places.”

Psa 150:2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

Praise him for his mighty acts - The creation of all things out of nothing; the sustaining of all beings; the government of the world; the redemption of man by Christ, and the wonderful works done by Him on earth; the work of grace upon the hearts of His people, and the preservation of them in grace to glory; The reference is to that which displays the power of God; the things which manifest his omnipotence.

Praise him according to his excellent greatness - Hebrew, the multitude of his greatness or of his majesty. Let the praise be such as is becoming so great, so holy, and so glorious a Being. Hence, the psalmist proceeds to call on all to make use of everything, by instrument and voice, that would in any manner set forth the praise of God.

praise him according to his excellent greatness - That which appears in his nature, perfections, and work, and these both of providence and grace; and in proportion hereunto, and according to the abilities of creatures, angels, and men, is He to be praised; which is giving Him the honor due unto His name.

Praise him for his mighty acts:

1. For us. Election. Redemption. Inspiration.

2. In us. The work of enlightenment in the understanding; purification in the heart; quickening in the conscience; subjugation in the will.

3. By us. Thought through us; felt through us; spoke through us; worked through us.

Praise him according to his excellent greatness:

1. Reverently, according to the greatness of His being.

2. Gratefully, according to the greatness of His love.

3. Retrospectively, according to the greatness of His gifts.

4. Prospectively, according to the greatness of His promises.

What the exhortation requires:

1. That men should study God's works, and observe the glory of God in them.

2. That they should meditate on His greatness till they realize its excellence.

3. That they should openly proclaim the honor due to Him.

4. That they should not contradict in their life the praise they speak.

Psa 150:3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

Praise him with the sound of the trumpet - In this verse and the verses following there is an allusion to the instruments of music which were commonly employed in Hebrew worship. The idea is, that all these - all that could properly express praise - should be used to celebrate the praises of God. Each one, with its own distinct note, and all combined in harmony, should be employed for this purpose.

Praise him with the sound of the trumpet - Which was used in calling the assembly together, for worship and on other occasions; and at the feast of blowing of trumpets, and in the year of jubilee, Num_10:1; and by the priests in temple service, 1Ch_16:6 Benaiah also and Jahaziel the priests with trumpets continually before the ark of the covenant of God and was typical of the Gospel, which gives a certain and joyful sound, and is the cause and means of praising God, Isa_27:13 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the great trumpet shall be blown, and they shall come which were ready to perish in the land of Assyria, and the outcasts in the land of Egypt, and shall worship the LORD in the holy mount at Jerusalem.

Praise him with the sound of the trumpet - The trumpet was principally used to call the people together, but it was also an important instrument among those used by the bands of musicians that performed in the temple.

With the psaltery - a hollow stringed instrument to which psalms were sung.

Trumpet, psaltery, and harp - These were instruments of music, both used in divine worship and in which David was well skilled and delighted, and appointed proper persons to praise with them. They were typical of the spiritual melody made in the hearts of God's people, while they are praising him in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, under the Gospel, Eph_5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Praise him with the timbrel - It was an instrument that was struck with the hands. Similar to a modern tambourine.

And dance - Dancing among the Hebrews seems to have accompanied the timbrel or tabret. Exo_15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand. And all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.

Praise him with stringed instruments – The Hebrew word means strings, from a verb which means to divide; and the proper reference would be to slender threads, as if they were divided, or made small. It is nowhere else applied to instruments of music, but might be properly applied to a harp etc. The word strings is indeed applied elsewhere to instruments of music but the Hebrew word is different. Such instruments were commonly used in the praise of God.

And organs - The word is derived from a verb meaning to breathe, to blow; and would be applicable to any wind-instrument. It here represents the whole class of wind-instruments. Probably pipes.

Psa 150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

Praise him upon the loud cymbals - literally, “the cymbals of sound” or hearing. Two hollow plates of brass, which, being struck together, produced a sharp clanging sound. The allusion here is to an instrument of music that was most distinctly heard in union with other instruments. The sound of the cymbal would be most clearly audible in its accompaniment of the other instruments referred to.

Praise him upon the high-sounding cymbals – literally “cymbals of shouting” which were used on joyful occasions. The cymbals of joyful voice. A loud, lofty sound or shout, as on the reception of a conqueror, is the idea here; and the sense is, that the praise of God was to be celebrated with that which would in the highest sense express joy and triumph.

Psa 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord - All living things in the air, the earth, the waters. Let there be one universal burst of praise. Let His praises be celebrated not only with instruments of music, but let all living beings unite in that praise; let a breathing universe combine in one solemn service of praise. Rev_5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

Praise ye the Lord - Hallelujah. Thus, at the end of all the trials, the conflicts, the persecutions, the sorrows, the joys recorded in this book, the psalmist gives utterance to feelings of joy, triumph, transport, rejoicing; and thus at the end of all - when the affairs of this world shall be closed - when the church shall have passed through all its trials, shall have borne all its persecutions, shall have suffered all that it is appointed to suffer - when the work of redemption shall be complete, and all the ransomed of the Lord shall have been recovered from sin, and shall be saved - that church, all heaven, the whole universe, shall break forth in one loud, long, triumphant Hallelujah. Isa_35:10 And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Of such peculiar importance did the Book of Psalms appear to our blessed Lord and His apostles, that they have quoted nearly fifty of them several times in the New Testament. There is scarcely a state in human life that is not distinctly marked in them; together with all the variety of experience which is found, not merely among Jews, but among Christians, the most deeply acquainted with the things of Christ.

Note:

I have forgotten to add this to other studies Ive posted here about the psalms. It is posted in one of my studies already though. Here is my disclaimer about sources used and how I study.

I read a chapter then I go over it verse by verse. I read through commentaries etc to glean background information, rejecting what does not seem correct and keeping what does. I mix it up, add some of my own, interspersed with paragraphs from the commentaries. The commentaries and all my notes are what I post with each verse. For copyright purposes, I use the KJV since it is not copyrighted in the US, and for posting publicly, I use commentaries whose copyrights are open. When reading my study/ studies, I encourage you to use whichever version of the bible you are most comfortable with. I used the following commentaries: John Wesley's Explanatory Notes; Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge; Spurgeon's A Treasury of David; Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary; Keil and Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament; Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary; Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible; Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible; John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible and Strong's Concordance. I have read modern commentaries but have not posted from them in my public studies.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you again, and yes it is a beautiful Psalm, what nice way to end or close the book. I hope this dose not end the study ?

I suppose part is, if anyone shows interest, ? So because I enjoys Psalms so much, I am going to go back to Psalm 1, and in my reply post Psalm 2, hoping this is ok, , ? from Garry

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

This is a blessing. Thank you and thank God for leading you to do this.

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Thank you for taking the time to do this beautiful study of psalm 150!

Praise Him and SOON everybody will praise Him:)