IGNORED

What is "hell"? Eternal punishment? Or eternal death?

What is hell?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is hell?

• Eternal torment.
    • The grave and eternal death.
    • Unsure. Jesus is all that matters!
    • Both the grave and death, and torment.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/06/1993

Hell is a firey pit of torment for unsaved sinners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQin1VX0bA0

(wolf in sheep's clothing?)

Or:

Hell is eternal death in which the unsaved perish and do not deserve life and are not conscious while the traditional christian "hell" is a result of pagan mythology and scriptual misunderstanding

(lies?)

I've read that hell isn't really eternal suffering, and that those who don't recieve eternal life perish forever. But at the same time, I don't want this to be an example of what 2 Timothy 4:3 says.

שְׁאוֹל - shĕ'owl:

1) sheol, underworld, grave, hell,

a) the underworld

b) Sheol - the OT designation for the abode of the dead

———1) place of no return

———2) without praise of God

———3) wicked sent there for punishment

———4) righteous not abandoned to it

———5) of the place of exile (fig)

———6) of extreme degradation in sin

So what's the truth here?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Your options are incomplete. Revelation tells us that hell and death will be case in the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:14-15

Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Scripture also informs us that while we are still in this life, we will only know in part, so any answer given to your question about Hell being forever are only summations of ones studies.

1 Corinthians 13:9&12

For we know in part and we prophesy in part.

For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

Why is this important? You asked which video is true. To each of them, they both are true. To me, the first I can't prove happened one way or the other. The second I disagree with because of what I hold as true. Neither are wolves in sheep clothing, though I would say the one in the second is confused by neglecting scripture that speaks of the worm never dying nor the fire being quenched, which in itself, is argumentative to some.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

This is a blatant attack on the revealed Word of God concerning what God has said concerning the judgment of the unbeliever. You need to stop reading whatever foolishness you were reading. Sheol IS the grave, but it is not the end. There is a final ongoing death for the godless which Jesus calls Ge-enna and John calls Lumne-Pur. Some will be quick to point out that Ge-enna (Gehenna) was the humongus garbage pit outside of the city of Jerusalem which was continually kept burning, and so it was. Jesus compared the fate of the unbeliever to Ge-enna. John uses the term Lumne-pur to describe the fate of the unbeliever in the Revelation account of the Last Day. Lumne-pur means lake of fire.

There is also the Hebrew word Tophet (place of fire) used 9 times in Scripture, the most interesting of which (to me) is this one:

Isa 30:33 For Tophet [was] established of old, Yes, for the king it is prepared. He has made [it] deep and large; Its pyre [is] fire with much wood; The breath of the LORD, like a stream of brimstone, Kindles it

Tophet is defined as:

1) a place in the southeast end of the valley of the son of Hinnom south of Jerusalem.

I think most of us could draw the conclusion that Jesus is referring to Tophet when using the term Ge-enna.

Notice that the Isaiah verse states that Tophet was 'established of old'. The word here is arak and carries the idea of a place prepared or set in order. I believe he is referring to the created order here. All creation was done within the first six days, so Tophet is certainly consistent with the idea of God having created a place of fire at Creation and not as an afterthought.

Not only was Tophet ordained or established 'of old', but it was prepared for the king. Hmm. If it sounds a lot like this verse, it's because I believe they refer to the same thing:

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels

The devil a king? You bet. He's the king of those angels who follow him. The word aggelos doesn't always mean heavenly beings, it can also mean earthly messengers. Those who follow the devil are his angels in that sense.

The Isaiah verse conveys the idea that there is much wood in Tophet, as though the pile were being built up on a continual basis. Jeremiah 5:14 says this:

Jer 5:14 Therefore thus says the LORD God of hosts: "Because you speak this word, Behold, I will make My words in your mouth fire, And this people wood, And it shall devour them.

The word of God is like fire and those who fail to listen to it like wood. The two witnesses of Revelation 11:5 cause those who try to harm them to be devoured by fire. The word that they speak are the Law and the Prophets...God's Words, and that word causes their enemies to be devoured by fire on the Last Day.

The lake of fire is not non-existence. Is it literal fire and brimstone? Honestly, I think so. Scientists tell us that the core of the earth is molten lava. What better description of molten lava, than a lake of fire? But I also think it's more than a simple continual burning. Those Scriptures which an unbeliever hears are input into that computer between their ears called a brain. Scripture says that the inhabitants of the Lake of Fire are tormented 'day and night' (a comparative term meaning continually). What could be more of a torment than to have the very thing you despise the most being replayed over and over and over in your conscience forever? Both the CIA and the US military know you can torment a prisoner by replaying something they hate over and over. Do you think that the God of the universe doesn't know that as well?

The Isaiah passage also finally says that what ignites all that wood in Tophet is: The breath of God. It is the Word which judges men on the Last Day.

Is eternal punishment real? You bet. And if you're an unbeliever, you can count on it.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Hell is eternal punishment.

Bold Believer

This is a blatant attack on the revealed Word of God concerning what God has said concerning the judgment of the unbeliever. You need to stop reading whatever foolishness you were reading. Sheol IS the grave, but it is not the end. There is a final ongoing death for the godless which Jesus calls Ge-enna and John calls Lumne-Pur. Some will be quick to point out that Ge-enna (Gehenna) was the humongus garbage pit outside of the city of Jerusalem which was continually kept burning, and so it was. Jesus compared the fate of the unbeliever to Ge-enna. John uses the term Lumne-pur to describe the fate of the unbeliever in the Revelation account of the Last Day. Lumne-pur means lake of fire.

There is also the Hebrew word Tophet (place of fire) used 9 times in Scripture, the most interesting of which (to me) is this one:

Isa 30:33 For Tophet [was] established of old, Yes, for the king it is prepared. He has made [it] deep and large; Its pyre [is] fire with much wood; The breath of the LORD, like a stream of brimstone, Kindles it

Tophet is defined as:

1) a place in the southeast end of the valley of the son of Hinnom south of Jerusalem.

I think most of us could draw the conclusion that Jesus is referring to Tophet when using the term Ge-enna.

Notice that the Isaiah verse states that Tophet was 'established of old'. The word here is arak and carries the idea of a place prepared or set in order. I believe he is referring to the created order here. All creation was done within the first six days, so Tophet is certainly consistent with the idea of God having created a place of fire at Creation and not as an afterthought.

Not only was Tophet ordained or established 'of old', but it was prepared for the king. Hmm. If it sounds a lot like this verse, it's because I believe they refer to the same thing: Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels

The devil a king? You bet. He's the king of those angels who follow him. The word aggelos doesn't always mean heavenly beings, it can also mean earthly messengers. Those who follow the devil are his angels in that sense.

The Isaiah verse conveys the idea that there is much wood in Tophet, as though the pile were being built up on a continual basis. Jeremiah 5:14 says this: Jeremiah 5:14 Therefore thus says the LORD God of hosts: "Because you speak this word, Behold, I will make My words in your mouth fire, And this people wood, And it shall devour them.

The word of God is like fire and those who fail to listen to it like wood. The two witnesses of Revelation 11:5 cause those who try to harm them to be devoured by fire. The word that they speak are the Law and the Prophets...God's Words, and that word causes their enemies to be devoured by fire on the Last Day.

The lake of fire is not non-existence. Is it literal fire and brimstone? Honestly, I think so. Scientists tell us that the core of the earth is molten lava. What better description of molten lava, than a lake of fire? But I also think it's more than a simple continual burning. Those Scriptures which an unbeliever hears are input into that computer between their ears called a brain. Scripture says that the inhabitants of the Lake of Fire are tormented 'day and night' (a comparative term meaning continually). What could be more of a torment than to have the very thing you despise the most being replayed over and over and over in your conscience forever? Both the CIA and the US military know you can torment a prisoner by replaying something they hate over and over. Do you think that the God of the universe doesn't know that as well?

The Isaiah passage also finally says that what ignites all that wood in Tophet is: The breath of God. It is the Word which judges men on the Last Day.

Is eternal punishment real? You bet. And if you're an unbeliever, you can count on it.

Spiritual concepts, being introduced had no exact language to describe them. The concept though is very clear. Hell is Eternal punishment for those that reject a free, and easy to obtain salvation from it.

The fire that Jesus spoke of is never quenched. It never goes out, it burns forever and ever.

I don't know how to break this to you, but that fire in the Valley of Hinnom has long stopped burning. Not the fire which Jesus spoke of though, and no physical fire can destroy a soul, and twist it into such great agony that it never be the same.

We should not use Greek and Hebrew in an attempt to remove what is so simple and easy to understand.God was more than able to give us clear and concise meaning in English today. Everlasting, means Everlasting.

Jesus Is Lord.....

Amen~! Jesus Is LORD And Hell Is Eternal

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. Mark 9:47-48

And Don't Let Man Or Demon Tell You Death Is Some Resting Place

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:26-29

For Even Death And Hell End Up In The Lake Of Fire

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:11-15

And To Escape Death

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:51-57

Don't Die~!

Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?

Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. John 8:51-58

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Bold Believer

Spiritual concepts, being introduced had no exact language to describe them. The concept though is very clear. Hell is Eternal punishment for those that reject a free, and easy to obtain salvation from it.

The fire that Jesus spoke of is never quenched. It never goes out, it burns forever and ever.

I don't know how to break this to you, but that fire in the Valley of Hinnom has long stopped burning. Not the fire which Jesus spoke of though, and no physical fire can destroy a soul, and twist it into such great agony that it never be the same.

We should not use Greek and Hebrew in an attempt to remove what is so simple and easy to understand.God was more than able to give us clear and concise meaning in English today. Everlasting, means Everlasting.

Jesus Is Lord.

And in its day, neither did the fire-pit of Gehinnom go out. The real Ge-enna will never go out, though its earthly comparison did. Believers have been using the Scriptural comparison of the valley of Gehinnom to the eternal Lake of Fire from time immemorial. It was meant to be used as such, which is why Jesus did it.

Jesus often used physical things, to describe eternal and spiritual things. One would have to look up the Greek word hell to even come up with the theory on what he meant. The fire he talked about never goes out, is never quenched, and the worms never die.

Jesus Spoke Truth...... Period

And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh. Isaiah 66:24

• Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I have been thinking a lot on the Lake of Fire (Hell), this is my belief, if lost, you would be cast into the "core of the earth", the "furnace of the earth" that warms our planet. I believe one will be swimming in Magma with no island or shore to climb up on. Of course, they will have their body that cannot be destroyed.

Can you imagine seeing Christ at the judgment, in all his fulness and love, he is all that Man needs and then to be separated from him through eternality. Hell - Prefect pain, perfect fear, one becomes a worm (in type), one would have perfect nothing.

Christ is the hope of all Mankind.