IGNORED

Gifts Of The Spirit: Question

Tinky

I'm not so sure about raising from the dead, not because it cannot be done, but because there is not enough faith (there must not be even a shadow of a doubt) in this age. Matthew 17:20

So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

Brothers and Sisters, I'm seeking opinions on this subject. I'm curious as to whether you believe certain gifts of the spirit (speaking in another tongue, raising the dead, casting out demons, prophecy, healing, etc.) ended with the apostolic age, or they continue to this day.

There is no Scripture saying the gifts have ceased. There are, however, "anti-tongues speakers" who say that gift ended with the disciples. Today we hear of people being healed and raised from the dead in third world countries. I wonder if that is because there people accept God's Word without reservation as opposed to in the U.S. and other progressive nations we are "too sophisticated" to accept it.

Brothers and Sisters, I'm seeking opinions on this subject. I'm curious as to whether you believe certain gifts of the spirit (speaking in another tongue, raising the dead, casting out demons, prophecy, healing, etc.) ended with the apostolic age, or they continue to this day.

There is no Scripture saying the gifts have ceased. There are, however, "anti-tongues speakers" who say that gift ended with the disciples. Today we hear of people being healed and raised from the dead in third world countries. I wonder if that is because there people accept God's Word without reservation as opposed to in the U.S. and other progressive nations we are "too sophisticated" to accept it.

Amen~!

But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. Jude 1:20-21

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Opinions or what scripture says? ;)

Well, people interpret scripture many ways. ;)

Well, I don't know how you can interpret a list of the gifts as we see in Fez's post above...which I agree with

I have certainly seen it done though. Interpreting many different ways is not what God had in mind I don't think

because that would cause confusion and God is not the author of confusion ;)

I agree. ;)

2 Pet. 1:20-21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

1 Cor. 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

The reason I asked the question is I read a book by a pastor I admire (John MacArthur) who stated that certain gifts have ceased because we now have the complete word of God in the Bible and no longer need such confirmation of the faith through such miracles.

I also personally believe that such things as speaking in tongues were simply those that spoke miraculously in the languages of the hearers, not the "babbling" that is prominent in many Pentecostal denominations.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I speak in tongues and many on these boards do. I am very familiar with the skewed theology presented by those who refer to tongues

as babbling. I am also familiar with the oft expressed vehement hatred that some of these people have. You have to ask yourself why

they become so emotional when that gift is mentionned.

The Bible states :Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues. I Cor 14:39

Opinions come and go, but the word of the Lord stands forever.

We do not have perfection...we see through a glass darkly.

I would fear for an individual who teaches that the gifts have ceased as they are basically denying the power of the Holy Spirit

and the fact that the church is not a physical organization, but should demonstrate the power of God through His Spirit

Many of us know the power of God and the operation of the gifts and the life changing ability to witness and to live for

God. You shall have power AFTER the Holy Spirit comes....the works of the flesh are many and deeds done for God

in the power of the flesh do not stand and how do they bring glory to God when the earth is already full of what

mankind can do without God

Jesus said that He can do nothing apart from His father yet so many today want to do a work or think they are doing

a godly work when they do it in their own flesh and the door frame reads Ichabod

One reason the churches are in such bad state today is BECAUSE they have thrown out their Teacher and God

does not perform according the the word of a person.

I speak in tongues and many on these boards do. I am very familiar with the skewed theology presented by those who refer to tongues

as babbling. I am also familiar with the oft expressed vehement hatred that some of these people have. You have to ask yourself why

Please forgive me for a poor choice of words. I didn't mean to offend by using the word "babble."

I don't hate anyone. I'm just of the opinion that those who spoke in "tongues" were those in the early church who miraculously spoke in the languages of the hearers.

Again, I meant no malice. :heart:

Please forgive me for a poor choice of words. I didn't mean to offend by using the word "babble."

I don't hate anyone. I'm just of the opinion that those who spoke in "tongues" were those in the early church who miraculously spoke in the languages of the hearers.

I didn't say you hated anyone....I am just up to here with all the negativity against the Holy Spirit by those who think they know better

than what scripture states

I am sorry...I should have put a 'do not take this personally' in my post...I usually do and I forgot so I did not mean to offend you

personally...I certainly do not hold you accountable for a book someone else wrote...! :)

I really did not aim this one at you...it's just a story I have heard over and over...so forgive me too if I hurt you...I didn't mean to

I didn't say you hated anyone....I am just up to here with all the negativity against the Holy Spirit by those who think they know better

than what scripture states

I am sorry...I should have put a 'do not take this personally' in my post...I usually do and I forgot so I did not mean to offend you

personally...I certainly do not hold you accountable for a book someone else wrote...! :)

I really did not aim this one at you...it's just a story I have heard over and over...so forgive me too if I hurt you...I didn't mean to

:emot-hug::emot-heartbeat:

:emot-eyes::heart: Thank you!