IGNORED

The Marriage Covenant

Guest JAR61

As a pastor I am discovering that the issue of themarriage covenant and divorce is not as clear cut as those pastors who root themselves in the New Testamament would have us believe.

Exodus Chapters 21 thru 23 and other Books of the Law point to specific requirements under the Law.

With respect to divorce, spiritual vs. secular the Law was desigend for a Godly people. It seems that too many in the Christian church are quick to tell couples they must stay together even if the wife is being physically abused.

I don't agree with my contemporaries. God loves His daughters and protectes them under the Law.

I would like some detailed insight to the origins and terms of the marriage covenant and grounds for divorce and women's rights within a marriage.

Please include a historical perspective from a Biblical standpoint as well.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Your Bible has all the answers, have you read it?

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  965
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  05/28/1979

Wives and Husbands

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church-- 30for we are members of his body. 31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." 32This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Matthew 5

31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

I am familiar with the New Testament teachings, specifically Matthew. The issues brought forth in Matthew are exactly the ones that have been perverted to suit the complacency of the Christian church.

I was hoping that our Jewish fmailymembers here could offer substance to the LAW regarding marriage covenants, rights and divorce.

There are almost no CHristians whostudy marriage beyond the teachings of the New Testamant. It is virtually impossible to understand these Biblical issues in its proper context without understanding the Judaic roots for marriage and divorce.

Loving one's wife as Christ loved the church is not at issue here.. The discussion deals with the Judaic covenant and divorce.

Wives and Husbands

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church-- 30for we are members of his body. 31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." 32This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Matthew 5

31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Marriage is a natural law established by God for all humans. Its was not founded by Judaism it established way before Judaism came about. Marriage is a practice that is followed by Non-Jews and Non-Christians. It was handed down by God through Adam and Eve generation after generation and followed and practised by most if not all human races; religious and non-relgious.

Marriage is a natural law of God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Pastor Jeff,

I was hoping that our Jewish fmailymembers here could offer substance to the LAW regarding marriage covenants, rights and divorce.

There are almost no CHristians whostudy marriage beyond the teachings of the New Testamant. It is virtually impossible to understand these Biblical issues in its proper context without understanding the Judaic roots for marriage and divorce.

Loving one's wife as Christ loved the church is not at issue here.. The discussion deals with the Judaic covenant and divorce.

Before proposing a question, you might want to "think it out first". In the highlighted portion above, you did not mention this in your first post.

Perhaps a PM to one of our Messianics might achieve some results.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Okay... but Im new here and still learning to navigate the boards. Whom should I direct my query to?

Greetings Pastor Jeff,

Before proposing a question, you might want to "think it out first". In the highlighted portion above, you did not mention this in your first post.

Perhaps a PM to one of our Messianics might achieve some results.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest shiloh357

Pastor Jeff,

I think I understand your query.

I am a Messianic Jew, and hopefully can answer some of your questions regarding the Hebraic perspective on marriage and divorce. It is very covenantal. God's marriage to Israel at Sinai is a very vivid picture, and provides much in the way of understanding how Jewish people view marriage. It also flavors what much of the Scriptures have to say concerning marriage.

I do not want to waste time answering questions you are not asking, though. Perhaps if you could ask some more specific questions, you and I can arrive at the answers you are looking for. If you like, we can begin with God's marriage with Israel to get the ball rolling.

I am not promising that I can answer all of your questions. Some questions you might consider asking a Messianic Rabbi in your area. Many Rabbis will gladly answer your questions. Some of my answers may not sastisfy you, and you may also consider finding a Jewish website that allows you to send in questions and recieve an answer from a Rabbi in your e-mail.

I think this would be a very good study.

Shalom, and welcome to the boards!!

Thank you Shiloh. I guess a good place to start is by understanding the original nature of the marriage covenant. What does the contract actually consist of.

Under what conditions is the covenant broken and how does it affect the parties to the covenant and their rights to divorce.

I also want to examine the difference between a "spiritual" divorce and secular.

WHen the law was given, Israel was goverened by God. There was no "secular civil insitutions"... therefore... the issue of divorce as construed by contemporary society is misunderstood.

I also want to examine the original issue of adultery...which when examined using the Hebrew language has very little to do with marital infidelty (esp. by a man) and more to do with whoredom.....

There are about 10 Hebrew terms defining adultery and only one mentions marital infidelity... and in that term it describes when a woman cheats on a man and is very specific in its definition.

THank you for your help.