IGNORED

NT - What is your favorite passage(s) in the NT? Why?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1

A recent favorite for me has been "Come unto me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest..." So much of my Christian life has been spent trying to earn God's favor and blessing by striving in human strength to live a godly life. Religious legalism has been a heavy burden for me. I am learning what it means to abide in Christ. (John 15) He does not want me to to do more for Him. He wants me to abide in Him and rest in His love. His love for me is not based on what I do or don't do but on who He is. As I rest and become secure in His love, that love will flow from my life to others until it is effortless and unconscious.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

GE, Do you have a favorite and why?

What people say towards the end of their lives is interesting. As Jesus new His time drew near to give His life at the cross He gathered His disciples and gave them a new commandment – love one another. It is amazing because approximately 60 years after Jesus died, rose again, and went to be with the Father the apostle John recalled this in his Gospel account. (Pay particular attention to verses 34 and 35)

John 13:31-35

The New Commandment

31 So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him. 32 If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately. 33 Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ so now I say to you. 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

John was probably close to 90 years old or older when he wrote this. It is in this account too that John simply refers to himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved.” It occurs 5 times in the book. (John 13:23; 19:26; 20:2; 21:7, 20)

John’s identity wasn’t in his accomplishments or his status in the Church. The “Son of Thunder” who wanted to call down fire on people for rejecting Christ (Luke 9:51-56) and forbade people from using Christ’s name (See: Mark 9:38-41) simply became “the disciple whom Jesus loved.”

John’s identity was Jesus Christ’s love.

Oh that when I’m old, if God blesses me with old age, I will be remembered as someone who pointed to Jesus Christ’s love. That's what God has been challenging me on lately. More of Jesus's love and less of me. :thumbsup:

God bless all of you.

In Christ,

Jon/GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

John 6:37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

It's simply a wonderful statement of assurance by our Lord. Beautiful.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

What is your favorite passage(s) in the New Testament? (Please limit to 3 max) Why?

If applicable, what does this passage teach you about God and your relationship to Him?

God bless,

GE

Making me think on a lovely day off? Lol.

John 1

14 And the Word became flesh, and tabernacled among us. And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and of truth.

He dwelt among us. This particular translation of "tabernacled" reminds me that the Lord came to us. It is awe inspiring to me.

Philippians 4

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.

7 And the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

When I get frantic or anxious, I try to recall this passage. It is also a reminder that I can approach Him in prayer about ANYTHING. He tells us to.

Revelation 22

17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come! And let the one hearing say, Come! And let the one who is thirsty come. And he willing, let him take of the water of life freely.

I just like this verse.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

great contributions so far! :grin:

so many..i find a new favorite everyday..

as hard as i may try..i am not ashamed to say that when i attempt to read Romans 8 aloud..i BURST into tears... :emot-lwt:

it is so moving, and always strongly reminds me of the love of God and what He brought me through in order to know that!

it reminds me to be grateful in ALL things..

i dare you guys. read it out loud. :laughing:

Romans 8:31-39

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

I thought that I had two favorites.......now I have three after reading gdemoss......Hebrews 9-10. I always read that a few times when I come across it. Other thanthat one...

These two are considered my Christian Bar of Soap;

Romans 8:1 There is therefore no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins, and to cleanse us of all sin.

I read these when I know that it is time.