IGNORED

On Mental Illness:'Christians Should Not Be Afraid Of Medicine&#39

I personally avoided anti-depressants because I was more afraid of potential side-effects than I did the disease.

I was like that for the longest time. I finally decided the side effects couldn't be any worst than what I was thinking about doing to myself. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

When the pill wears off, the problem is still there.

The same could be said for any medical condition that requires medication.

On a side note, it annoys me to no end when people who have never had to deal with a mental illness try to tell me that medication doesn't work. IT DOES WORK!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

The same could be said for any medical condition that requires medication.

On a side note, it annoys me to no end when people who have never had to deal with a mental illness try to tell me that medication doesn't work. IT DOES WORK!

Yes,they do LadyKay and they are very important if you need them.Compare your life with them and then without them.If you do not need them and you are coping then by all means do not take them.It is a personal choice.Some people with  a serious Bi-Polar have taken their lives because they have refused to take the meds.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

LadyKay

Don't shoot the messenger.  I simply put up a study done by a scientist/psychologist at Harvard that proved the negative effects of anti-depressants vs. the placebo  effect.   I thought it was a very informative study, so please don't take everything so personal.  :mgcheerful:  Apparently it was an impressive study because it made Prime Time 60 Minutes

LadyKay

Don't shoot the messenger.  I simply put up a study done by a scientist/psychologist at Harvard that proved the negative effects of anti-depressants vs. the placebo  effect.   I thought it was a very informative study, so please don't take everything so personal.  :mgcheerful:  Apparently it was an impressive study because it made Prime Time 60 Minutes

From your previous post it is obvious that you do not like vaccinations or medications.

LadyKay

From your previous post it is obvious that you do not like vaccinations or medications.

What's your point? 

Please show me the quote where I said I did not like medications, Bopeep.  I have made my opinion about vaccinations after years of research by qualified and respectable sources, and that is my informed choice. 

LadyKay

What's your point? 

Please show me the quote where I said I did not like medications, Bopeep.  I have made my opinion about vaccinations after years of research by qualified and respectable sources, and that is my informed choice. 

Big pharmaceutical companies fool the masses in America again.

A Harvard Medical School psychologist, Irving Kirsch, who has been studying placebo effects for three decades, recently came up with the documented conclusion that pharmaceutical anti-depressants don't work.

Drug companies pay the FDA for approving their drugs. But the FDA doesn't do the trials or reports. They simply take them from the drug companies who all do their own trials and decide which reports to publish and submit.

Kirsch discovered that most anti-depressant trials showed no proof of efficacy. Those results were simply hidden from view. So if 12 tests were done, and only two showed any efficacy at all, those two would be submitted to the FDA, and the FDA would essentially say "pay your fee and go to market."

nikki,their is a well known statement in the medical field "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".I think telling someone that anti-depressants do not work is a dangerous statement to make for anyone.Many lives have been saved by anti-depressants and anti-psychotic medications.Their are many different psych meds on the market now.Some may not work for one person but may work for another.Do you not agree?Yes,their are side effects maybe some dangerous but what is the alternative?Do you think these meds are a rip off?Do you think they are a waste of time?No. you did not personally make this statement yourself but I understand it was a research study?Do you agree with this study?I understand that their is a mark up on drugs and their is alot of politics involved.What was their lives like in the 1800's without these drugs.Do you know how many people died from simple illnesses that medications have now prevented these deaths?Do you know how the mentally ill were treated in the 1800's?It is very scary.I would like to know your opinion on all of this. :mgcheerful:

LadyKay

What's your point? 

Big pharmaceutical companies fool the masses in America again.

A Harvard Medical School psychologist, Irving Kirsch, who has been studying placebo effects for three decades, recently came up with the documented conclusion that pharmaceutical anti-depressants don't work.

Drug companies pay the FDA for approving their drugs. But the FDA doesn't do the trials or reports. They simply take them from the drug companies who all do their own trials and decide which reports to publish and submit.

Kirsch discovered that most anti-depressant trials showed no proof of efficacy. Those results were simply hidden from view. So if 12 tests were done, and only two showed any efficacy at all, those two would be submitted to the FDA, and the FDA would essentially say "pay your fee and go to market."

nikki,their is a well known statement in the medical field "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".I think telling someone that anti-depressants do not work is a dangerous statement to make for anyone.Many lives have been saved by anti-depressants and anti-psychotic medications.Their are many different psych meds on the market now.Some may not work for one person but may work for another.Do you not agree?Yes,their are side effects maybe some dangerous but what is the alternative?Do you think these meds are a rip off?Do you think they are a waste of time?No. you did not personally make this statement yourself but I understand it was a research study?Do you agree with this study?I understand that their is a mark up on drugs and their is alot of politics involved.What was their lives like in the 1800's without these drugs.Do you know how many people died from simple illnesses that medications have now prevented these deaths?Do you know how the mentally ill were treated in the 1800's?It is very scary.I would like to know your opinion on all of this. :mgcheerful:

nikki,their is a well known statement in the medical field "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".

There is also the well know statement in the medical field  that what you don't know can hurt you.

I think telling someone that anti-depressants do not work is a dangerous statement to make for anyone.

Harvard Medical School psychologist, who by the way is a Ph.d,  Irving Kirsch, did the study and proved his analysis in a documented research  report.  Unless you or anyone else qualified  can refute Dr. Kirsch analysis in a documented research study; he is the  expert on  the topic and I do not have a problem with  his analysis. 

Does that mean that I would tell someone not to take their anti-depressant medication? Of course not.

Unless someone was having life threatening adverse reaction after taking an anti-depressant, no I would not tell anyone to stop their anti-depressant because I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist and I am not qualified to do so.

However, unless an interested person has actually participated in a blind  research study such as this where a placebo and or a chemical called anti-depressant was given, the person really does not  know if the harmless  placebo would help him vs. a chemical with a list of side effects or adverse reactions.   There is a big difference you know.

These type of studies are done all the time at research schools of medicine where people volunteer and get paid "X" amount of $$$ to partake in the study to  determine the effect upon people. 

BoPeep

No. you did not personally make this statement yourself

Nor did I imply what you said.

This is interesting: Reasons for admission to Lunatic Asylum 1800's

List.jpg