IGNORED

A question of ethics

A question of ethics  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ethical, for a person on food stamps, to make goods for a charitable bakes sale, with those funds?

• Sure, it is her food, she can do what she wants with it.
    • No, it is a violation of public trust, the taxpayers intend the food to be for her, not for a charity.
    • This is a gray area, and she should pray about it and do as she is convicted.
    • I have no opinion or am unsure.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

God sees the heart. I say go for it, but there may be a nuance of your food stamp system I am unaware of, which may change my view. So I will hold off voting.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Depending on the state, if the food is intended solely for the recipient of the food stamps for personal use only, then it could be considered fraud to use it to help sell at church bake sales.

Now if someone were to give her money to purchase the ingredients that is not connected to goverment hand outs, that would not be fraud.

Another Take (Two Issues)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.Galatians 5:22-23

What is Public Assistance and/or Food Stamp fraud?

Public Assistance or Food Stamp fraud is the intentional misrepresentation, concealment or withholding of information in order to get any, or increased, public assistance or food stamp benefits. If you intentionally sign any papers (such as an application for benefits, a questionnaire, or recertification papers) in which the information in the papers is not true, you have committed fraud. This is true even if you never end up receiving any public assistance or food stamps at all. http://209.203.251.6...efits/fraud.htm

So Do You Really Think A Food Stamp Fraud Investigator

Might Clear The Table Of A Local Church Potluck

And Pry The Food From Between The Teeth

Of The Little Children

As A Recovery Of Ineligible Benefits

Or The Miss-Use Of Food Stamp

Food To Feed Folk

At The Table?

Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth. Proverbs 26:20

Beloved I Really Really Doubt It

~

Just Like The Selling Of The Food Stamps Themselves

The Selling Of Food Stamp Food

(IMO) Is Fraud

Period

Love Your Brother Joe

Guest ninhao

I voted for violation of public trust. I think food stamps, if I know correctly, is to help someone to eat who cannot provide for themselves. If this person avails of the public system to provide for themself how can they then be using these benifits to be charitable. In essence it is the pubic funds that are doing the charity by default which is possibly fraud. Also if the food stamps can provide for more than the recipients needs maybe they are recieving to much. imo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I look at this issue as being one where a person who has little, and is the recipient of charity, has decided to share what she has and to pass that charitable spirit on. She doesn't stand to profit from it, after all.

Guest LadyC

i don't think it's a violation of anything. however, each person should be led by the Holy Spirit when deciding whether or not to participate in a bake sale. besides, seriously... how much is the person going to bake for the event? a cake? maybe a batch of cookies? it's absolutely ridiculous, IMO, to judge a person of wrong-doing for that. it's nobody else's business how a person SPENDS the food stamps, assuming they were not fraudulent obtained to begin with.

the person on foodstamps:

(a) is just as capable of budgeting down and maybe having a "cheaper" meal one or two nights in order to utilize a few dollars of their food stamps for a bake sale. maybe instead of having hamburgers and fries, her family will have to make do with Bar-S hotdogs (79 cents per package of 8) and generic mac & cheese (50 cents per box that feeds 4).

(b) should not be penalized or ostracized from participating in a bake sale because of their financial status. maybe it's a church bake sale and the mother doesn't want to appear "snobby" and unwilling to serve in ministry, but also doesn't want to share with her church family that she's on public assistance. or maybe the bake sale is part of a school thing, and the kids are expected to participate if they can. to NOT participate makes the children feel ashamed and ostracized.

© to say a person is committing fraud if they spend $5 on the ingredients for a cake or batch of cookies is to also say that person is committing fraud if they DARE invite a family member, friend, or neighborhood kid over for dinner without charging them at the door.

the government does not dictate how one can use the groceries they purchase with food stamps. it only requires that they meet income requirements to be eligible. there are far better things to do with our time then to look down our silly little noses at someone else for baking a cake to help a charitable cause.

Guest LadyC

thanks ninhao. it's hard enough in this life to raise kids without having to subject them (unnecessarily) to the public humiliation of being poor. no reason at all to draw attention to the fact that a family can't afford to do a bake sale.