hmh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

As a Christian, I used to believe it was okay to drink in the privacy of your home...but eventually I believed the Holy Spirit to tell me that this wasn't okay for me. You still have to buy it from somewhere, someone will see you. The bible tells us to be the salt and light of the earth. Are we risking that by buying a 6 pack even if it takes us a year to drink it? Is it really worth it? For me, it's just not. But that's my own conviction. I wouldn't tell anyone else what they can/can't do. The bible is clear however not to become intoxicated. If my mind is going to be "altered" I want it to be altered by the Holy Spirit not Jack Daniels. :thumbsup:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

This is the Church Covenant in many Baptist churches. It is a standard covenant. Most of the churches I have been a part of , have used this as their covenant.

Church Covenant

Having been led as we believe, by the spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior, and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, we do now in the presence of God, angels and this assembly most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with on another as on body in Christ.

We engage therefore by the aid of the Holy Spirit to walk together in Christian love, to strive for the advancement of this church, in knowledge, holiness and comfort; to promote it's prosperity and spirituality: to sustain it's worship, ordinances, discipline and doctrines; to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the spread of the gospel through all nations.

We also engage to maintain family and secret devotion; to religiously educate our children; to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances; to walk circumspectly in the world; to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment; to avoid all tattling, backbiting, and excessive anger; to abstain from the sale and use on intoxicating drinks as a beverage, and to be zealous in our efforts to advance the Kingdom of our Savior.

We further engage to watch over one another in brotherly love; to remember each other in prayer; to aid each other in sickness and distress; to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and courtesy in speech; to be slow to take offense, but always ready for reconciliation, and mindful of the rules of our Savior, to secure it without delay.

We moreover engage that when we remove from this place, we will as soon as possible unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God's Word.

And now unto Him, who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, be power and glory forever. Amen.

I know that many people in these churches do drink and say "Well, I do drink, don't get drunk." Personally I believe that if you want to drink, then you should remove your membership from that church and join one that allows it, because they are not carrying out "the spirit of this covenant."

As to whether it is OK to drink. I always hear people say....What's wrong with it? To me the question for this as well as any 'questionable activity' should be rather, "What's right with it?"

Does it bring glory to God?

Can you ask God's blessing on it?

Does it Edify?

Can it be a stumbling block for my brother?

If all these things are OK, then it is probaby OK. But if you are feeling iffy about anything, and you have to try to justify it maybe you should just avoid it.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Some religions, such as Southern Baptists, believe the drinking of any alcohol is a sin.  Then some religions such as Catholics believe that drinking a little wine is actually good for the soul (There is a verse about that but my memory is shot).  Then there are those that believe it is totally fine to drink as long as you don't lose control of yourself.

I used to drink heavily in previous years (hence the bad memory, it does kill the brain), but other than the verse that escapes me, what other verses comes to mind about this subject?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you speak of this verse:

Psalm 104

1 Praise the LORD , O my soul.

O LORD my God, you are very great;

you are clothed with splendor and majesty.

2 He wraps himself in light as with a garment;

he stretches out the heavens like a tent

3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters.

He makes the clouds his chariot

and rides on the wings of the wind.

4 He makes winds his messengers,

flames of fire his servants.

14 He makes grass grow for the cattle,

and plants for man to cultivate-

bringing forth food from the earth:

15 wine that gladdens the heart of man,

oil to make his face shine,

and bread that sustains his heart.

What was there stance on turning water into wine at weddiong parties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having been in a Southern Baptist Church for a few years (since departed), I can tell you much about what they believe and teach.

They will say (at least the 13,000 member church I attended in the metro Atlanta area) that this is "new wine" which did not contain alcohol.

They then will say that the wine that was common didn't ferment long enough to contain alcohol.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

As to whether it is OK to drink. I always hear people say....What's wrong with it? To me the question for this as well as any 'questionable activity' should be rather, "What's right with it?"

Does it bring glory to God?

Can you ask God's blessing on it?

Does it Edify?

Can it be a stumbling block for my brother?

If all these things are OK, then it is probaby OK. But if you are feeling iffy about anything, and you have to try to justify it maybe you should just avoid it.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

That's true. I have a friend who is a vegetarian and when ever we eat lunch together, I make sure to eat a vegetarian meal, more so out of respect. I myself prefer not to touch any booze (or any alcoholic beverage) anymore. I have personally seen the effects of this and I perfer not to have it pass between my lips. I do not condemn those who drink, but I do not condone their behavior because of their drinking either. Sometimes I wish alcohol was a little harder to obtain than it is now.

Guest momofeightcherubs
Some religions, such as Southern Baptists, believe the drinking of any alcohol is a sin.  Then some religions such as Catholics believe that drinking a little wine is actually good for the soul (There is a verse about that but my memory is shot).  Then there are those that believe it is totally fine to drink as long as you don't lose control of yourself.

I used to drink heavily in previous years (hence the bad memory, it does kill the brain), but other than the verse that escapes me, what other verses comes to mind about this subject?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT STATE THAT DRINKING IS A SIN. THERE ARE, HOWEVER, MANY REFERENCES TO THE SIN OF DRUNKENESS WHICH OBVIOUSLY LEADS TO LOSS OF SELF-CONTROL. JESUS DRANK WINE, AS DID MOST PEOPLE IN THAT DAY BECAUSE THERE WAS NOT MUCH ELSE CLEAN OR SAFE TO DRINK.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Um... your wrong Jesus drink wine that only had 6% alcohol in it... So, if thats the kind of wine you drink with jus 6% alcohol in it, by all means drink it, fine... have a ball. But The wine now in days, one glass will make you drunk... weather a little drunk or a lot drunk its still a sin. Anytime you get drunk its a sin, and what people think getting drunk means past the legal limit, well its not... Getting drunk is anytime you are a little drunk to were your alot drunk...

The only reason why Jesus drink wine was because the water was polluted and they had to drink wine because there was nothing else.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Trinity, how do you know the wine that Yeshua and others drank in His day was only 6% alcohol? I know that wine coolers sold in stores today have 5%.

But where is it written it only had 6%? Just curious.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

As they say:

• Topic Count:  92