Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

1. If the universe is only 6,000 to 10,000 years old and it takes millions of years for light to reach Earth from many stars, how can we see them?

God created everything and it was good,

2. Did God create light in transit?

Why not???

3. Was the speed of light faster in the past?

Who cares?

4. What about Big Bang?

The only Big Bang will be when God brings this earth to an end. I don't know if there was any noice in the heavens when God created everything, but the big bang people still have alot of problems, who created the things that caused the bang??

5. Does young creation have anything to do with the fact that time is different at different altitudes?

No idea what you are talking about

6. What is Carbon-14 dating?

There are many groups of science groups that don't beleive this is a valid dating process, esp going back very far. There are newer dating procedures being experimented with at this time

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/14/1979

First, thanks for the sites. I already have looked into Answers in Genesis, but have not heard of ICR. It is helpful.

Second, What I meant about the "big bang" question is that I am confused on precisely what makes the universe expand. Is the a specific center? Is there any proof that the "big bang" indeed did/does happen? Sorry for the confusion.

As a scientist and a christian, I spent several years studying cosmology and whilst constantly amazed, never found anything that to me, undermines a faith in God.

In order to answer your questions on the Big Bang, it's probably easiest to refer you to one of the many websites dedicated to explaining the theory in simple terms. The best are probably those run by scientists in all honesty as they are likely to give the most accurate accounts and not lead you into mysticism and theology before you are good and ready! A quick google chucks out http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html which seems pretty detailed and may answer some more questions if you get deeper into the subject and http://www.leyada.jlm.k12.il/proj/black/. This last one I'm not sure who made (maybe someone in school) but it has some cool links and movies to explain things.

http://www.big-bang-theory.com/ ends in some pretty spurious theology but at the start, has a lot of genuine science well explained.

In fact, according to physicists, the most compelling evidence for the big bang came in 1965 when it was realised that far from being empty and cold, deepest darkest space was actually a fairly toasty 3 degrees Kelvin. That's close to -270 celsius, but still a lot warmer than it 'should' be. This is regarded as the remnants of the Big Bang and a hint that all the universe is still cooling down from the moment it emerged and huge energies were around.

For the record, not everything is going away from us, just as if you run away from something in a big crowd, some people will be behind you and some of these people will actually be running towards you! There is quite a lot of evidence that our galaxy will one day collide with one of our neighbours- who is moving this way. This is because we aren't the centre of the universe or the point at which the big bang happened (we're not even the centre of our galaxy). In fact, there is a specific centre of the universe that some scientists claim to have calculated and if they are to be believed, in the map of an expanding universe (depending on which way you look) we are a little to the left and quite a way out.

Unfortunately, if you subscribe to the Big Bang Theory, then there's no way the Earth was created at the beginning of the universe. Most Physicists agree that the earth only came about long after the universe unpacked itself and long after the creation of many stars we are just seeing being born now.

miyako_1984

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

For the record, not everything is going away from us, just as if you run away from something in a big crowd, some people will be behind you and some of these people will actually be running towards you!

However, if those who are behind you are moving at a slower speed, then in your frame of reference, they will be moving away from you - or in cosmological terms, they will be "red-shifted".

The fact that stars are red shifted does not mean that we are topologically at the centre of the universe, and I did not claim this to be the case.

• Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/14/1979

The fact that stars are red shifted does not mean that we are topologically at the centre of the universe, and I did not claim this to be the case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure, I realise this, sorry- I didn't mean to undermine your post. It's just a common misconception of the significance of red shifts and of course, any motion causing a red shift is relative as you say. I just thought it was an interesting curio that you do get blue shifted matter as well although, yep, my analagy by way of explanation wasn't the right one. :wub:

miyako

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

I quite like Faithful Followers view on the Big Bang theory:-

"God said it, and bang it happened!" :taped:

Good one sister

Anne

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/18/1976

Be Real,

Let me address your question about God creating light in transit, or put another way, with apparant age. First of all, all the animals, as well as Adam and Eve, were created as adults, or with apparant age. Although they were only minutes old, they had all the functionality of mature animals and humans. And this was not deceptive but a functionality issue. There is another proof that shows God's ability to create with apparant age that many people forget. Think back to the first miracle Jesus performed. If you said that wedding at Caina, you'd be right. There he turned water to wine and the host of the party said that it was the best wine. Now anyone that knows anything about wine knows that wine gets better with age. Therefore the water turned to wine, although minutes old, was created to seem older than it was.

As to the light issue, remember that God created light on day 1. He didn't create the sun, moon, and stars until day 4. They were created to sustain the light that was already there. I detect in you some of the same questions that hold most people up in believing fully that God created. I would suggest to pick up a copy of the Answers Book. You should be able to find it in your local Christian Bookstore or at the Answers in Genesis website bookstore. There is an excellent treatment of this issue and, if I recall correctly, all of your other questions. There are also a few more that would interest you that you might not think to ask.

In Him.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  105
  • Birthday:  03/24/1965

Be Real,

Let me address your question about God creating light in transit, or put another way, with apparant age.  First of all, all the animals, as well as Adam and Eve, were created as adults, or with apparant age.  Although they were only minutes old, they had all the functionality of mature animals and humans.  And this was not deceptive but a functionality issue.  There is another proof that shows God's ability to create with apparant age that many people forget.  Think back to the first miracle Jesus performed.  If you said that wedding at Caina, you'd be right.  There he turned water to wine and the host of the party said that it was the best wine.  Now anyone that knows anything about wine knows that wine gets better with age.  Therefore the water turned to wine, although minutes old, was created to seem older than it was.

As to the light issue, remember that God created light on day 1.  He didn't create the sun, moon, and stars until day 4.  They were created to sustain the light that was already there.  I detect in you some of the same questions that hold most people up in believing fully that God created.  I would suggest to pick up a copy of the Answers Book.  You should be able to find it in your local Christian Bookstore or at the Answers in Genesis website bookstore.  There is an excellent treatment of this issue and, if I recall correctly, all of your other questions.  There are also a few more that would interest you that you might not think to ask.

In Him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can someone point me to a website or explain to me what this nonsense is about? I don't think the bible makes such claims. :):thumbsup:

Still waiting

-SS

• Content Count:  42

What claims?

Just curious......

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  105
  • Birthday:  03/24/1965

What claims? 

Just curious......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Light in transit, god creating things with apparent age...

Still waiting

-SS