• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

What do you think of Jerry's comment?

"We must not seek to bind the consciences of other believers with the private convictions that arise out of our personal walk with God. Even if you believe God has led you in developing those convictions, you still must not elevate them to the level of spiritual principles for everyone else to follow." - Jerry Bridges

What are some example of private convictions?

God bless,

GE

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

I have an example. About ten years ago I was strongly convicted to cover my hair full time. And I did for about six months. It was definitely of The Lord, and not meant to be long term, but I didn't know it at the time. But what I learned through it all was incredible. It was a lesson in obedience, it was a lesson in modesty, it was a lesson in trust. All things *I* needed for spiritual growth at that time.

And all of it stuck with me after the covering was no longer a conviction.

During my covering I did not rush out to tell everyone that they were sinning and that they should cover thier heads. It was a private thing between me and God

To this day if I am fearful or want to pray fervently about something I will go into my prayer closet so to speak and cover my hair to pray

I think God chooses different ways to impact each of us. And I think that at times we have to differentiate between what the church is attempting to convict us of and what God is trying to convict us of.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

"We must not seek to bind the consciences of other believers with the private convictions that arise out of our personal walk with God. Even if you believe God has led you in developing those convictions, you still must not elevate them to the level of spiritual principles for everyone else to follow." - Jerry Bridges

God bless,

GE

This is difficult because a person can easily confuse a private conviction with something that is actually a rule/sin (I don't know another word but hopefully you get the idea) in the Bible or vise-verse. This kind of arises from not reading the Bible imo. Also people can use biblical scriptures to justify not doing something like there is really no where in the Bible that states "don't smoke" but some people could say that since the body is a temple of God smoking would be damaging that "temple".

A simple one I can think of is wearing stockings to church. When I was younger my church was quite adamant about girls wearing stockings but there is no biblical basis about wearing stockings. The purpose was for girls to dress modestly. I still wear them since I think they are cute and I do believe they help with a modest look but I can't help but hope that some of the other girls would wear stockings mostly because of how stockings were equated with a touch of modesty. I don't talk about how girls should wear stockings but I do state how they should dress modestly and if they decide to wear a short skirt wear stockings under it to hide a large expanse of legs. 

I guess because I still equate stockings/ covering my legs to modesty I'd like to think that is my personal conviction with God. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

I smoke...and I can't say that God has ever convicted me to quit, but the church and society sure have. I think the same disgust should apply to other things like Fast food, chemicals we use in abundance in our homes, and other things I could name. lol and I a, not condoning smoking, by any means. I have begged God over and over to take the cravings away, so far I am still a smoker, and can't say I enjoy it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

God bless,

GE

I agree with this statement completely.

Some examples of this are drinking and  tattoos

Drinking, smoking, clothes, and tattoos are good examples. Can we think of others?

This was quoted in the OP in reference to the craze of modesty threads going on FB with the beginning of summer.

God bless,

GE

This is difficult because a person can easily confuse a private conviction with something that is actually a rule/sin (I don't know another word but hopefully you get the idea) in the Bible or vise-verse. This kind of arises from not reading the Bible imo. Also people can use biblical scriptures to justify not doing something like there is really no where in the Bible that states "don't smoke" but some people could say that since the body is a temple of God smoking would be damaging that "temple".

This is a good point Rev. :thumbsup:

Here's some thoughts...

From here.

The word "conviction" is not found in the Bible and this is the source of much of the confusion. It is, however, related to two biblical words: convict and convince.

The word convict is only used once in the Bible where the men who accused the women of adultery were "convicted by their own conscience" (John 8:9).

The word convince is used seven times (Job 32:12; John 8:46; Acts 18:28; 1Corinthians 14:24; Titus 1:9; James 2:9; Jude 15). This word (convince) is the key to understanding the other two words. One who is convicted is convinced of sin or error. In its simplest meaning, a conviction is something about which we are convinced. In most of the cases where convince is used in the Bible, it is similar to our use of the word convict. It usually deals with those who are convinced of sin.

Also... I agree there are some things which are spelled out as sin in the Bible or we're given particular commands. The call is to obey in those areas.

We, as Believers, should be able to in Christ agree to disagree in a respectful manner on other issues.

From here.

Please note that a conviction is not needed where the Bible is specific in its command. We need only to obey in those areas. Perhaps we need to be convicted of our disobedience. But we do not need to have a conviction about it. A conviction is only needed in those areas where biblical precepts (by definition, general principles) need to be applied to particular circumstances. Does God teach us to do this? Yes. Notice the following teaching from God’s word.

1. We are to use our spiritual discernment to judge all things (1Corinthians 2:14-15)
2. As to certain practices, Paul said, "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind" (Romans 14:5)
3. John speaks of doing those things in which our heart condemns us not (1John 3:20-210) Evidently, there are also things in which our heart does condemn us.
4. We are to prove all things and hold fast to that which is good (1Thessalonians 5:21
5. We are to use wisdom and judgment to approve things that are excellent (Philippians 1:9-10
6. We are to make certain that we condemn not ourselves in the things which we allow (Romans 14:22-23
7. We are to use the Bible to such an extent that we are able to discern both good and evil (Hebrews 5:14)

Thoughts?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Their are many things that I do that many in this world do not regarding what I think involves intergrity,morals,values and character.These things are important to me so I can be a faithful servant to Christ.I don't know if you can call them convictions.I am not going to stop doing these things.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Private convictions often involve the "weaker brethern". A person may not be able to play cards because it has involved gambling or because he does so in an intense, cut throat competitive attitude. I used to play pinnocle or rummy with my family as recreation. It was always good natured fun that never involved money. While he should not impose his private convictions on me, neither should I give him occasion to stumble. However, I don't cease from playing cards unless I am aware such a person might be tempted. I should not flaunt my freedom in his face, but in love do what is best for him.

At one time I could not engage in debate with others because my attitude was hateful and really stunk.

So I stayed completely away from it. Stating my position is not a problem, but even today I rarely debate unless the Holy Spirit is guiding me, filling me with His love, and giving me the words. When I do this in the flesh I get really ugly and angry. Yet I respect anothers' right to debate. I should not impose my conviction on others.

We all have areas where we are tempted and so must avoid situations. This is a personal conviction that we should not impose on others.

But I agree that we should dress modestly. Some might equate that to wearing hats and gloves. I equate that to loose fitting slacks or blue jeans. People near bikini attole required pastors to wear 3 piece suits but they could go bare footed.

On the other hand, fragrences trigger severe asthma in me as does smoke. I take 4 medication to try to control it and still cannot be around perfumes. On mother's day I had to watch the service on a monitor in the foyer next to an open door and was still sick for 36 hours afterwards.. I was very thankful when regulations were enforced concerning where people may smoke in public. I wish they would do the same in regards to fire places when air quality is bad, and in regards to use of fragrences. For me this is not a matter convictions, or of preference, or whether I like the smell; it is a matter of survival. They both cause my throat to swell as well as my lungs and I lose my voice. That is really annoying. But breathing is rather important. Most people don't understand it because it doesn't bother them or they like it, so they think I am attempting to impose my beliefs or preferences on them..