• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

OUCH!!!

I'll be praying for you brother...things can get costly, for sure!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

As a side note...I agree that Vista isn't a really good OS...but hey, we go with what we've got! :grin:

As a personal opinion...I'd hold off on Windows 8 at least until the release of Windows 8.1...Microsoft is still working out some bugs...

What I did (my machine was pre-loaded with Vista) was to purchase an upgrade disc (under US $100) and go to Windows 7...and I couldn't be happier!  I absolutely love the Win 7 platform...but that's just my opinion.

Also, if updating/reinstalling the video driver doesn't do the trick, then we'll take a look to see if the video card is overheating...that can also cause problems. :)

my laptop is the only 64 bit that we have.  I'll be upgrading our desktops to '7' later this summer when i find out what all the sugery and doctor bills will cost from this broken arm.

What happened with your arm?

• Group:  Advanced Member

As a side note...I agree that Vista isn't a really good OS...but hey, we go with what we've got! :grin:

As a personal opinion...I'd hold off on Windows 8 at least until the release of Windows 8.1...Microsoft is still working out some bugs...

What I did (my machine was pre-loaded with Vista) was to purchase an upgrade disc (under US $100) and go to Windows 7...and I couldn't be happier!  I absolutely love the Win 7 platform...but that's just my opinion.

Also, if updating/reinstalling the video driver doesn't do the trick, then we'll take a look to see if the video card is overheating...that can also cause problems. :)

When I got the computer it was a clearance computer from "The Source" online. Otherwise I would have never bought Vista :(  It had very good reviews.

And  it worked fine until a while ago,I don't know if I deleted something important or that there is may something conflicting going on, how can I tell if the video card is overheating? I don't mind buying Windows 7 if that would get rid of the problem...?

Have you used any type of registry cleaner???  I have seen quite a few computers turned into doorstops by folks using registry cleaners...IMO they aren't worth the risk...but there's nothing broken that can't be fixed one way or the other!

Secondly, is the message you are getting something like this: "Display driver xxxxx stopped responding and was recovered"

Thirdly: There is a program that we can use to find out what temp everything is running at...I'll get the link shortly. Before we do that and run out to buy Win 7, I'd suggest that we insure that there is not a software problem (i.e. corrupted driver) or a hardware problem (i.e. faulty video card) otherwise you'll have the same problem (if it's a hardware fault).

It's a matter of process: Starting with the most common/easiest problems and working our way down until we solve the problem. :)

Yes this is the message I'm getting..and it just happened again a few minutes  ago:(

How can I check my video card ? Nvidia or something 

First things first :)....

Let me explain what is going on, and the normal causes so you'll know.

The machine is experiencing what is known as a Timeout Detection & Recovery (TDR) event. TDR first came out in Vista, and is used in Win 7/8. What it does is allow the OS to try and recover instead of crashing into a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). Symptoms included a screen flash with the TDR message appearing one or more times, the screen freezing, or the screen blinking out to black. If the system cannot recover it will crash (Stop Error 116 typical). The issue is that the video card is not responding as expected.

The most common causes are a corrupted video card driver, or a problem with the card itself (i.e. overheating, chipset bad, onboard memory problem, etc.)

OK, so...Navigate to the device manager, click on "display adapters" and a drop down will identify your card for you....right click on it

Two options for you here:

First: Select update driver (choose the go on line option) and let it do its thing...if you get a message: "The best driver is already installed", then go to the next step

Second: Do it again and this time select "uninstall"...click on the warning (you are about to install this device from your system) and uninstall it anyway...don't worry, your screen will still work...and reboot the machine. When the machine reboots, it will automatically search for and install the driver.

That's the first thing to do, and we can take it from there. :)

Should have mentioned: Start> type in device manager in the search box...should bring it up for you.

It said:while trying to install the driver a message came up which says that windows has found a driver software for the device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. Operation returned because time out period expired.

Thank you very much for helping me..:)

This whole thing  changed my pc setting,all the letters are giants!

that was easy to fix,I could do that myself:)