• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

I admit (sadly) I was a member of a clique in high school. Our whole purpose for being was to torment girls who were not in our social circle. I was a spoiled brat who abused those less fortunate than me.

Popularity was everything, back then. :(

In some churches this has not changed.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Have you ever been a victim of a clique?You usually see cliques in junior high or high school but their are adult cliques.Do you see them at your church?Are their cliques at your work?How does dealing with cliques make you feel?Do you think you are a member of a group of people who are in a clique?

If you find a clique within your church, take it to your Pastor immediately. If He does not address the issue right away it's time to find another church. There should be genuine fellowship within the church and not groups that seperate themselves from others. With out LOVE everything else is of no value...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

Have you ever been a victim of a clique?You usually see cliques in junior high or high school but their are adult cliques.Do you see them at your church?Are their cliques at your work?How does dealing with cliques make you feel?Do you think you are a member of a group of people who are in a clique?

If you find a clique within your church, take it to your Pastor immediately. If He does not address the issue right away it's time to find another church. There should be genuine fellowship within the church and not groups that seperate themselves from others. With out LOVE everything else is of no value...

If you find cliques at a church chances are the pastor is either involved or ineffective to start with.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

What is the difference between being a clique and having a group of friends whom you hang out with?

Is it wrong to be a part of a group of friends?

It is hurtful when a tight group of friends ignore others.

Every time I hear the word clique I think of Pat and his guns and I hit the deck! :happyhappy:

LOL!! :grin:

What is the difference between being a clique and having a group of friends whom you hang out with?

the difference is the exclusive nature of a clique.  members of a clique tend to only interact with those in the group and the group is next to impossible to become a part of.

It is not wrong to be a part of a group of friends, Jesus had his own "group of close" friends you could call a clique, but he did not exclusively spend his time with them.

the danger in churches of cliques is that they start to wield power and then other cliques are created to counter the first and it becomes a vicious cycle.  My previous church is segmented into cliques, the whole church is literally a collection of little small groups of people with people trying to join the "cool" group.  It is because of this that I truly dislike Facebook.  Facebook became the tool for letting everyone know who you were with and what you were doing.   Then Sunday school prayer and praise request would turn into "I want to thank God for good fellowship last night with _______".   

If you were a part of one of the cliques then things were not too bad, but imagine being on the outside wondering why you were never invited to movies or lunch after church.  Imagine being part of a church body but being alone, sitting in the pew, getting all the friendly greetings yet never being asked to do things with others.  Churches are second only to High School when it comes to cliques and it is a close race.

I am embarrassed to say that I am speaking from experiences, but sadly I was in a clique and did not see the insidious nature of what was happening till I was able to step outside of the church.   that was more than 3 years ago and the church has not changed but I have only one friend left from that church as most took my family leaving as a personal affront to them.

Cliques just help to reinforce the stereotype that so many people have about Christians these days.

Yes.The problem is that their are cliques in Christian groups too.

Cliques are not only in churches they are everywhere.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone,it's not.The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone"Robin Williams.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It is hurtful when a tight group of friends ignore others.

What's the difference between someone who ignores others and a shy person who has a hard time interacting with strangers and people they don't know well?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

before we all go talking trash about pastors, and why they haven't gotten a clique taken care of, let me throw some things into perspective.

First off, cliques are human nature. I got news for you, when you hang with a group of people long enough, sooner or later, you become cliquesh. Not all cliques are the type to intentionally torment others-some form, just from being together for so long, they forget theres others out there, and people in these cliques don't even realize that theyre excluding others, its not intentional, its just because theyve been around each other so long and they don't realize it, and I think weve all been guilty of this at some point.

Also, keep in mind, cliques are in most churches, some worse then others, and what do you expect the pastor to do-especially if its a new pastor. Those people in the cliques, they need ministered to to, so you cant just go bulldozing in and tell them to get over themselves-all that will do is make matters worse, sometimes it takes time, love, and patience to break up a clique. Just because a pastor can't break up a clique the instant you ask him to, doesn't mean hes a bad pastor-you cant just go in, and expect a person to change instantly, and requiring a pastor to do so is unreasonable and unfair to him, especially since he may have been working on that clique for years before you showed up, and you have no idea how much good hes done. Instead of going up in arms, because the pastor is unable to instantly break up a clique, why don't you assist him in showing the members of the clique the error of their ways-after all, it could just be a group of ladies whove been quilting for 30 years and don't even realize theyre being exclusive.