• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

1. What millennials really want from the church is not a change in style but a change in substance.

2. We want an end to the culture wars. We want a truce between science and faith. We want to be known for what we stand for, not what we are against.

Jesus came to divide Matt 10: 34-35 and not to bring peace because to fully obtain peace would mean to become of the world. Culture wars are happening because of the ever ongoing battle between good and evil.There is already a truce between science and faith because science is understanding what God created. But the problem is that too many people put faith into science as a supreme being and not God. God has to be before science because he has already created what we are learning. For example, creationism has to come before atheistic evolution (or evolution in general) since the Bible does not say anything about evolution. Thus the war between faith and science is a man-made war that should not be around in the first place but has started because of non-believers push for their views to be dominant. 

The third sentence illustrates confusion on this group of millenials. You have to first be against something to stand for something, i.e you have to be against abortion to understand that you stand for life. This just sounds like a "peace and love" type of Jesus that the modern generations are so enamored with.

I think you summarized this quite well Rev.

In particular I think you nailed it here in red. You have to be for something and by consequence be against the opposing ideology. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

Thank you! :mgbowtie:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

3. We want to ask questions that don’t have predetermined answers.

3. Again, this seems an interesting or exciting way of looking at life. Yet it seems a bit off to me. The idea here being portrayed to me is that of relativism - what is right for me may not be right for you. I believe in God's Word and that there is a moral compass for a Believer in Jesus Christ - that is the Bible. I believe Jesus Christ is the only way to God.

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

4. We want churches that emphasize an allegiance to the kingdom of God over an allegiance to a single political party or a single nation.

4. I would agree with this point. Yet, I also believe that we should stand for the truth as found in the Bible – i.e. we should stand for life (pro-life) for example. I have a big problem with services that emphasize God AND Country for example in the U.S.

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

4. We want churches that emphasize an allegiance to the kingdom of God over an allegiance to a single political party or a single nation.

4. I would agree with this point. Yet, I also believe that we should stand for the truth as found in the Bible – i.e. we should stand for life (pro-life) for example. I have a big problem with services that emphasize God AND Country for example in the U.S.

God bless,

GE

Hmm this brings to mind a topic that I think is appropriate to discuss ....

Link here

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

3. We want to ask questions that don’t have predetermined answers.

3. Again, this seems an interesting or exciting way of looking at life. Yet it seems a bit off to me. The idea here being portrayed to me is that of relativism - what is right for me may not be right for you. I believe in God's Word and that there is a moral compass for a Believer in Jesus Christ - that is the Bible. I believe Jesus Christ is the only way to God.

God bless,

GE

I didn't read it that way, I read it that they want to ask questions that provoke a discussion.   When my daughter was a young teen her youth pastor would only answer questions that had an easy, preset answer.  He was not very good at why type questions.  I find this to be true of many Christians as well as many in ministry. One of the main reasons we loose so many young adults at least for a period of time is that nobody would let them ask the hard questions so when they are asked of them they have no answers.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I think this is also a generational thing.  The baby boomers was the first generation that broke all traditions, morals and customs, and were known as the generation of the "counterculture" movement. I do believe that several generations before that subtly planted their ideas into people's heads, but it came to fruition in the baby boomer generation.  That gets into conspiracy theories and whatnot as for taking over of minds to behave the way people do, but realistically I don't think it took on everyone anyway, and that's a subject for another thread.

Have you studied the 1920's or 1930's in the U.S. ?

God bless,

GE

Yes, I'm somewhat familiar, so I don't want to make it sound like it started with the boomers, but I meant to say it came to fruition with them.  A lot of this ideology in the American government had its roots about 100 years ago. And if you want to get into Illuminati theories, even before.

Here's two good articles about generations.  One is about 4-generation cycles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss-Howe_generational_theory

And here is the list of generations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generations#List_of_generations

I'm not big into sociology as I am the other interests I have listed, but I still find it interesting.

Generation x is not really any better, as their boomer parents were out finding themselves, gen x had no religious training or upbringing. So the latch-key kids found a way to be independent and raised themselves basically, but is probably one of the first generations that basically stood for nothing--- like my pastor said in the 1990's, "Generation x is such a lost generation". They grew up on Kurt Cobain, and Beavis and Butthead cartoons.

As a Gen Xer, I have to tweak your description here a bit. Kurt Cobain and Beavis and Butthead came to the scene in our latter years. My generation had a delusion and party attitude. We grew up with M-TV, "material girl" Madonna, Michael Jackson, The Breakfast Club, and the like.

It depends.  A Kurt Cobain head-banger was about 16 years of age in 1992 as they were rocking their heads to "Teen Spirit".  That was 21 years ago making them 37 years old (average) today.  Technically, a teen is anywhere from 13 to 19, so a head banger is 34-40 years old today. The older "Breakfast Club" and "Madonna" gen x'ers were in high school in the mid 80's, which would make them in their mid-40's today.  A gen x-er in this country is anyone born between the years of about 1964-1980.  The earliest and oldest gen Y person is about 33 today max, and some say the oldest is 31, which although they would remember Kurt Cobain were just kids too young to be in that video.

I'm about Madonna's age, and she never acted her age when she was younger, so I would place her in the older gen x category even though she is technically a boomer. And I've seen some x'ers, two which I work with, are quite unique that I like, almost as if they could fit into my generation even though I normally don't have a high opinion of that generation.  People are individuals, and although the masses tend to follow their own generational herd, there's always few that stick out and are either older or younger than their time.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Generation x is not really any better, as their boomer parents were out finding themselves, gen x had no religious training or upbringing. So the latch-key kids found a way to be independent and raised themselves basically, but is probably one of the first generations that basically stood for nothing--- like my pastor said in the 1990's, "Generation x is such a lost generation". They grew up on Kurt Cobain, and Beavis and Butthead cartoons.

As a Gen Xer, I have to tweak your description here a bit. Kurt Cobain and Beavis and Butthead came to the scene in our latter years. My generation had a delusion and party attitude. We grew up with M-TV, "material girl" Madonna, Michael Jackson, The Breakfast Club, and the like.

It depends.  A Kurt Cobain head-banger was about 16 years of age in 1992 as they were rocking their heads to "Teen Spirit".  That was 21 years ago making them 37 years old (average) today.  Technically, a teen is anywhere from 13 to 19, so a head banger is 34-40 years old today. The older "Breakfast Club" and "Madonna" gen x'ers were in high school in the mid 80's, which would make them in their mid-40's today.  A gen x-er in this country is anyone born between the years of about 1964-1980.  The earliest and oldest gen Y person is about 33 today max, and some say the oldest is 31, which although they would remember Kurt Cobain were just kids too young to be in that video.

I'm about Madonna's age, and she never acted her age when she was younger, so I would place her in the older gen x category even though she is technically a boomer. And I've seen some x'ers, two which I work with, are quite unique that I like, almost as if they could fit into my generation even though I normally don't have a high opinion of that generation.  People are individuals, and although the masses tend to follow their own generational herd, there's always few that stick out and are either older or younger than their time.

Well, that's kind of the point, I just didn't describe it as best as I could have. Yes, the younger Gen X'ers are what you originally described, but not us older ones. But by those years, I'm actually in the middle of the group. In any event, some tweaking was needed to your description.

As for Madonna, I only meant that she was one of the musical influences on my generation. (Not me personally, but my peers.)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

Actually I am a generation X and beavus and butthead were came out when I was quite young but you are correct tha tMTV was big during that time. I don't remember the Breakfast club or really Medonna and I don't remember Kurt Cobain but that is because I was during the latter gen X years closer to the Millenium.

Actually I am a generation X and beavus and butthead were came out when I was quite young but you are correct tha tMTV was big during that time. I don't remember the Breakfast club or really Medonna and I don't remember Kurt Cobain but that is because I was during the latter gen X years closer to the Millenium.

You are my younger son's age (also born in 1990).  You are nowhere near a generation x, my young friend.  You are as generation Y as they come. Consider that a compliment coming from this (somewhat) ol' guy.  Like I said, it's really one of the few generations I really like. I don't think much of the others, including my own. There's generation Z yet (those born year 2000 or later) but the oldest one is just 13 years old and the rest are now kids mostly in elementary school. I have yet to see what they will be like since they are only developing now.