• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

No, that isn't what I said. What I said is that if you want to judge a woman for what she is wearing it makes no sense to *not* take into account the cultural standard since what is modest in one place and time is completely different in another. That is just a fact. In 1800 US it would be completely inappropriate for a woman to go around in an outfit that is considered perfectly fine to us now, say, capris and a t shirt. Similarly, if a woman went to Saudi Arabia now wearing that she would be considered extremely immodest. Not taking into account the place and time you are at will not allow you to properly judge the intentions of the person wearing whatever it is they are are.

The other thing that people should take into account is the feelings of the person in question, who is told that their clothing is 'inappropriate'. The way that people are talking about women in this thread disturb me.

It is very simple God has set forth a moral code in everyman and as man exercises his will either for or against that code determines what authority will be for that man,

Either the world and all that is contained therein or God -which is guided by His Holy Spirit and His Word...  Love, Steven

We need to sacrifice "fashion" as Christians.The question is...Do you want to be excepted by this world or by God?We are just in this world not of it.

Our love and desire for attention should be centered upon our Lord Jesus... for the deepest fire within us is the desire of His glory

for all that He has done in The Revelation of God's Love!  Love, Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Now there is a word and a line that are pet peeves of mind. The word fashionable, the line "..acceptable in society..", these are things of worldly matters, and at times could be created by satan. If the fashion of the time were to be naked in public and it were acceptable by society, would that make it okay? (I don't think so)

OneWithGod, congratulations on breaking those chains.

Oldzimm

It used to not be acceptable in society for women to wear pants or to wear skirts that didn't  fall to their feet. Do we really want to say that we ought to require that? There's clearly a cultural element to all this, particularly when we want to understand the intentions of the woman in question. If she is dressing appropriately to the standards of her society why impute to her ill intent?

Again you speak of the subject in a worldly view, and you seem to suggest that to be naked in public is okay, as long as it is the fashion and society accepts it. The fact is we can talk about this subject being right or wrong all we want, but what we think doesn't really matter, it is what God thinks that matters and he clearly tells us in the word not to cause a brother (or sister) to stumble. If we cause a brother to stumble, two have sinned, the one who stumbled and the one who caused the brother to stumble.

No, that isn't what I said. What I said is that if you want to judge a woman for what she is wearing it makes no sense to *not* take into account the cultural standard since what is modest in one place and time is completely different in another. That is just a fact. In 1800 US it would be completely inappropriate for a woman to go around in an outfit that is considered perfectly fine to us now, say, capris and a t shirt. Similarly, if a woman went to Saudi Arabia now wearing that she would be considered extremely immodest. Not taking into account the place and time you are at will not allow you to properly judge the intentions of the person wearing whatever it is they are are.

The other thing that people should take into account is the feelings of the person in question, who is told that their clothing is 'inappropriate'. The way that people are talking about women in this thread disturb me.

Capri's and a T shirt is a far cry from the possibilities of women wearing low tops and short mini skirts to Church.

Oldzimm

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Now there is a word and a line that are pet peeves of mind. The word fashionable, the line "..acceptable in society..", these are things of worldly matters, and at times could be created by satan. If the fashion of the time were to be naked in public and it were acceptable by society, would that make it okay? (I don't think so)

Oldzimm

It used to not be acceptable in society for women to wear pants or to wear skirts that didn't  fall to their feet. Do we really want to say that we ought to require that? There's clearly a cultural element to all this, particularly when we want to understand the intentions of the woman in question. If she is dressing appropriately to the standards of her society why impute to her ill intent?

Again you speak of the subject in a worldly view, and you seem to suggest that to be naked in public is okay, as long as it is the fashion and society accepts it. The fact is we can talk about this subject being right or wrong all we want, but what we think doesn't really matter, it is what God thinks that matters and he clearly tells us in the word not to cause a brother (or sister) to stumble. If we cause a brother to stumble, two have sinned, the one who stumbled and the one who caused the brother to stumble.

Capri's and a T shirt is a far cry from the possibilities of women wearing low tops and short mini skirts to Church.

Oldzimm

Why? they would have been seen as extremely offensive by a church in 1800 US. That's my point, we shouldn't assume the worst about these women's intentions. That's what bugs me in this thread. She could have merely thrown on something in her closet, that she bought because her friends wear similar things and she thought it was cute. People are making these comments like she's obviously out to get the attention of men, references to possible slutty behavior, etc., and I find that implication distasteful.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

It is very simple God has set forth a moral code in everyman and as man exercises his will either for or against that code determines what authority will be for that man,

Either the world and all that is contained therein or God -which is guided by His Holy Spirit and His Word...  Love, Steven

The Bible doesn't lay down a dress code in detail. What counts as modest now (capris and t shirt) would have been obscene 200 years ago.

The Bible doesn't lay down a dress code in detail. What counts as modest now (capris and t shirt) would have been obscene 200 years ago.

Let's get with The Word of God on this... The last days are explained to us as rampant lawlessness and rebellion against God!

Do we really need to explain in order to get there everything must digress to more evil intent and that is what we are seeing... so your

whole relative approach to 200 years ago and today are what exactly to the above truth?

Jer 18:15

15 "Because My people have forgotten Me,

They have burned incense to worthless idols.

And they have caused themselves to stumble in their ways,

From the ancient paths,

To walk in pathways and not on a highway,

NKJV

the old adage history repeats itself is not just a coined phrase

but a reality of truth seen in history itself...

Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Oldzimm

It  doesn't matter where you live.Half dressed with half of your body showing is not excepted by God.It is not modest.Whether you live in the United States or Timbuktu.Although I might add the exception might be to natives who have never seen civilization.

Oldzimm

Oldzimm

I will agree with that.

The Bible does not lay down a dress code?Yes it does.

Matthew 5:27-29“You have heard that it was said to those of old,[a] ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[b] 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Proverbs 7:10And there a woman met him,

With the attire of a harlot, and a crafty heart.

What about wearing swimwear?

Curious.

God bless,

GE

Well, if this seem to restrictive:

<snip>

Love is the key for both, a loving Christian will not tempt others, nor gawk at others.

Omegaman,You are being sarcastic.That does not look good on a Christian.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I have long considered sarcasm as one of my spiritual gifts, and use it frequently in ministry.