• Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

What about wearing swimwear?

Curious.

God bless,

GE

Well, if this seem to restrictive:

<snip>

Love is the key for both, a loving Christian will not tempt others, nor gawk at others.

Omegaman,You are being sarcastic.That does not look good on a Christian.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I have long considered sarcasm as one of my spiritual gifts, and use it frequently in ministry.

I am sorry.

Ephesians 5:4neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

No, that isn't what I said. What I said is that if you want to judge a woman for what she is wearing it makes no sense to *not* take into account the cultural standard since what is modest in one place and time is completely different in another. That is just a fact. In 1800 US it would be completely inappropriate for a woman to go around in an outfit that is considered perfectly fine to us now, say, capris and a t shirt. Similarly, if a woman went to Saudi Arabia now wearing that she would be considered extremely immodest. Not taking into account the place and time you are at will not allow you to properly judge the intentions of the person wearing whatever it is they are are.

The other thing that people should take into account is the feelings of the person in question, who is told that their clothing is 'inappropriate'. The way that people are talking about women in this thread disturb me.

It is very simple God has set forth a moral code in everyman and as man exercises his will either for or against that code determines what authority will be for that man,

Either the world and all that is contained therein or God -which is guided by His Holy Spirit and His Word...  Love, Steven

The Bible doesn't lay down a dress code in detail. What counts as modest now (capris and t shirt) would have been obscene 200 years ago.

The Bible does not lay down a dress code?Yes it does.

Matthew 5:27-29“You have heard that it was said to those of old,[a] ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[b] 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Proverbs 7:10And there a woman met him,

With the attire of a harlot, and a crafty heart.

That's not a dress code. A dress code would be "if women don't wear skirts down to the ankles they aren't being modest". No, that is entirely lacking.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Now there is a word and a line that are pet peeves of mind. The word fashionable, the line "..acceptable in society..", these are things of worldly matters, and at times could be created by satan. If the fashion of the time were to be naked in public and it were acceptable by society, would that make it okay? (I don't think so)

OneWithGod, congratulations on breaking those chains.

Oldzimm

It used to not be acceptable in society for women to wear pants or to wear skirts that didn't  fall to their feet. Do we really want to say that we ought to require that? There's clearly a cultural element to all this, particularly when we want to understand the intentions of the woman in question. If she is dressing appropriately to the standards of her society why impute to her ill intent?

Again you speak of the subject in a worldly view, and you seem to suggest that to be naked in public is okay, as long as it is the fashion and society accepts it. The fact is we can talk about this subject being right or wrong all we want, but what we think doesn't really matter, it is what God thinks that matters and he clearly tells us in the word not to cause a brother (or sister) to stumble. If we cause a brother to stumble, two have sinned, the one who stumbled and the one who caused the brother to stumble.

No, that isn't what I said. What I said is that if you want to judge a woman for what she is wearing it makes no sense to *not* take into account the cultural standard since what is modest in one place and time is completely different in another. That is just a fact. In 1800 US it would be completely inappropriate for a woman to go around in an outfit that is considered perfectly fine to us now, say, capris and a t shirt. Similarly, if a woman went to Saudi Arabia now wearing that she would be considered extremely immodest. Not taking into account the place and time you are at will not allow you to properly judge the intentions of the person wearing whatever it is they are are.

The other thing that people should take into account is the feelings of the person in question, who is told that their clothing is 'inappropriate'. The way that people are talking about women in this thread disturb me.

It  doesn't matter where you live.Half dressed with half of your body showing is not excepted by God.It is not modest.Whether you live in the United States or Timbuktu.Although I might add the exception might be to natives who have never seen civilization.

Is a woman wearing capris and t-shirts being modest, yes or no?

Not to derail the topic, but to make a side point:

Not everytime that the bible speaks of dressing modestly, is it referring to not showing skin, etc.

Dressing in a way that draws attention to yourself, can be immodest. We are encouraged to dress in a subdued, plain manner, not out-doing each other. If you got voted best dressed, you probably did something wrong, lol.

The Amish get that part, the Academy Awards doesn't.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Not to derail the topic, but to make a side point:

Not everytime that the bible speaks of dressing modestly, is it referring to not showing skin, etc.

Dressing in a way that draws attention to yourself, can be immodest. We are encouraged to dress in a subdued, plain manner, not out-doing each other. If you got voted best dressed, you probably did something wrong, lol.

The Amish get that part, the Academy Awards doesn't.

Isn't this in bold at least in part subjective to the culture you live in? What is a subdued, plain manner here in the U.S.? What is a subdued, plain manner in say S. Africa, Brazil, India, etc.?

As far as Biblical passages are you referring to 1 Tim 2:8-10?

1 Tim 2:8-10

I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.

...or perhaps 1 Peter 3:1-7?

1 Peter 3:1-7

3 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

The Bible doesn't lay down a dress code in detail. What counts as modest now (capris and t shirt) would have been obscene 200 years ago.

The Bible does not lay down a dress code? Yes it does.

Matthew 5:27-29“You have heard that it was said to those of old,[a] ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[b] 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

What is the attire of a harlot Bo? Please clarify.

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

It  doesn't matter where you live.Half dressed with half of your body showing is not excepted by God.It is not modest.Whether you live in the United States or Timbuktu.Although I might add the exception might be to natives who have never seen civilization.

Sounds like you have some very strong opinions, but you know what?  I don't agree that we will find what you state in scripture.  I think this is more of a 'your own opinion' kind of post

If women going topless along the Amazon because their tribe has always done so and it is acceptable and then a missionary sets up camp and converts some of those women and they continue
to go topless because they don't think anything of it, God disapproves of them?

Or even more interesting, some of these topless ladies get converted, don a top and immediately judge the women who are still topless AND unconverted...

I feel the question that I am going to ask is actually, who put those women in charge?  Who are they to judge what they once were themselves?  Is that why Christ died?

I don't think so.

Sweeping generalizations are often made to give a false comfort and the idea of safety to those who cannot accept anything different then what they themselves understand.

I really really believe that what God finds objectionable in many who judge others, simply because they are not comfortable with another viewpoint because it might mean they
have to change something, is a heart that judges the MOTIVES of other people.

For that matter, if I wear shorts to the knees and a short sleeved top I am exposing half my body.  So, according to your viewpoint bopeep, God does not accept me.  Period.  

Are we?  Line up one good looking guy and one not so good looking guy.  They are wearing exactly the same thing.  I guess a bag over the head would be the equalizer.

Would that make everyone feel better?  Oh wait a minute, aren't some countries already pretty much doing that?  Except to women of course.  Because we all know, deep down,
who yuh gonna blame is the hot woman wearing a buttoned to the nines outfit that other women hate and men, drooling bunch of hypocritical cavemen that they are, lust after.

Get a grip.

There is more to the question of modesty then what others are wearing.

I think modesty should also be included in how we think.  If we are always looking to see how others are dressed and tsk tsk tsking them, my opinion, is that we are not modest in our thoughts.
We are not forgiving in our thoughts.  We are trying to make ourselves better than others in our own minds.  

Blaze away.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

And again, because I have a good memory and this has popped up again and again in some of these threads; the women at the academy awards are insecure and desperate and that is why they dress like they do.  They are always looking over the shoulder because there will ALWAYS be someone better looking, more talented and younger.

It's just a shame that so many Christian women seem to think they need to emulate this kind of thinking.  Do men worry about these things?  Would they even mention it if they did?

The hypocritical two tier system of comparing a believer to the world is without excuse and juding a woman by how she dresses is equally wrong.  Judge yourself, you hypocrite is what the

Bible says.

Now dems iz strong words!  Like strong medicine!

Looks for the revolving door and leaves..but it is revolving of course.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689

The Bible does not lay down a dress code? Yes it does.

What is the attire of a harlot Bo? Please clarify.

God bless,

GE

A harlot is a lady with no morals or values.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689

Since this is a hot topic for me I am going to step away and the post does say from a mans perspective.You know my feelings on this topic.It is not going to get better because of my few posts.I really do not like big debate posts. :mellow: