nick garai

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Should a man be disqualified from the ministry especially youth ministry because he is single?

Edited by nick garai

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I have never heard of that being a disqualifying factor. However, if those in charge would prefer a married couple on account of the need for a woman to shepherd the girls, I can understand why such a decision might be made. I can't think of any other reason.

Guest Butero

Should a man be disqualified from the ministry especially youth ministry because he is single?

The only offices a single man is unqualified to hold is a Bishop or Deacon.  They must be the husband of one wife.  If you feel called to be a youth minister, I don't see any problem with it, at least, not because you are single.  At the same time, your church may have their own guidelines, and the Pastor might feel it is not a good idea for other than Biblical reasons.  From a purely Biblical standpoint, you would not be disqualified. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

My nephew was a paid youth minister when he was single, and is still one now that he is married.

There is nothing scriptural stopping this, but I would say that my church would always insist on a third party being present when a youth minister was ministering to someone of the opposite sex. People get vulnerable when they are in trouble and they have a sympathetic ear. This has been misused before.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Well I was told that because of concerns of sexual relations with the complimentary sex that a sing;e man in nministry would be suitable reason to be disqualified.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

in todays world I  wouldn't think it a wise decision for a church to have a single male pastor

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

While I agree there is not a biblical reason for this, I do understand why a church would have this policy and would not have an issue with it.

Guest Butero

Well I was told that because of concerns of sexual relations with the complimentary sex that a sing;e man in nministry would be suitable reason to be disqualified.

If it was a church I was running, I would allow a single man to be a youth pastor, but I can also understand why some churches might not be comfortable with it?  The way I look at it, we have issues of sexual immorality taking place with ministers who are married, so I don't think that is the most important consideration.  Character, knowledge of scripture, and a certain amount of experience would be the things I would be looking for.  Regardless, if that is their position, I would just accept it.  If the door is closed, that means it was not God's will you be in that position at this time.  Perhaps things will change down the road?  Maybe the Lord will open up a different position for you?  There is no Biblical prohibition, but the leadership is making a judgment call, and they have to do what they feel is best. 

Guest shiloh357

The Bible doesn't claim that a pastor must be married.  It doesn't hold marriage up as a qualification for ministry.   Paul ministered as a pastor and planted churches as a single man.

Single pastors don't have divided interests like married ones and they can devote more time to ministry.  There is value, ministry-wise to being single.

Some churches hold to the "must be a husband of one wife" to mean that a pastor must be married and that is not what Paul is saying.  He was addressing the issue polygamy which was very prevalent in that part of the world.  Even among the Greeks, there were men with more than one wife.

Other people (especailly in Baptist churches)  think that "the husband of one wife" means that he cannot have been divorced at any time in his life.   By that logic, God (who once divorced Israel), would not be qualified to pastor a Baptist Church.  :hmmm:

Paul Wasn't

For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. 1 Corinthians 7:7-8

Although His Ministry (Except For Me :)) Was Mostly To Adults.... I Think