• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  175
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  263
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/02/1964

In America Rochester's university has been made scientific studies and analysis led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, which claims that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Review published a summary for this scientific study. When I researched this study, so on my mind arose many thoughts that prove this scientific study as the provocation of atheism in which they show their contempt to the certain group of the people. On my writing, I also bring out some thoughts about the article of Knoxnews.

The whole article is in my site: http://www.kotipetripaavola.com/religiouspeopleandatheists.html

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

Christians are always saying that the wisdom of man is folly, and it's better to be a fool for Christ.  And that's it's easier to get into heaven with the mind of a little child.  So why is it surprising that highly intelligent people who are driven to critical thinking find it harder to believe in religion, than people who have other strengths which do not include quite so powerful a drive to question everything?  High IQ doesn't mean they're right about everything, it just means that it's really really much harder to accept something without fully understanding it.

Edited by TsukinoRei

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

In America Rochester's university has been made scientific studies and analysis led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, which claims that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Review published a summary for this scientific study. When I researched this study, so on my mind arose many thoughts that prove this scientific study as the provocation of atheism in which they show their contempt to the certain group of the people. On my writing, I also bring out some thoughts about the article of Knoxnews.

The whole article is in my site: http://www.kotipetripaavola.com/religiouspeopleandatheists.html

Hello PetriFB

Thank you for this news.  I know the University of Rochester well.  It is a very liberal University in New York State and its Hospital, the University of Rochester Medical Center, is number 5 in New York State as top hospitals.  I have been employed by this university and can confirm that the entire institution, while an excellent higher school of learning when it comes to medicine, is very politically left oriented and receives many government research grants.  So it doesn't surprise me that the institution takes this stand on intelligence.

• Topic Count:  175
  • Content Count:  263
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  06/02/1964

Hello PetriFB

Thank you for this news.  I know the University of Rochester well.  It is a very liberal University in New York State and its Hospital, the University of Rochester Medical Center, is number 5 in New York State as top hospitals.  I have been employed by this university and can confirm that the entire institution, while an excellent higher school of learning when it comes to medicine, is very politically left oriented and receives many government grants.  So it doesn't surprise me that the institution takes this stand on intelligence.

Thanks for feedback and encouraging words. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,997
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,694
  • Content Per Day:  11.66
  • Days Won:  226

A really bad study.It is a study done by satan.

I still don't get what's wrong with it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.91
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Whether the research was valid or faulty, their interpretation was lousy.

By academic standards, I am considered very intelligent. However, on the scale of practical know-how, common sense, I tend to be on the low side. My brother is the opposite - low on academic intelligence, high on the know-how, common sense intelligence.

Our society places too much value on academic intelligence, as if we are somehow superior to the rest of society. Balony! I'm reminded of a scene from "Big Bang Theory" on TV. (I was at someone's house who had it on, so my understanding of the show is spotty. What I do know is that the 4 main characters are sterotypical geeks of the nerdy variety.) The four guys were in a car when the engine sputtered. The driver said, "Who knows something here about converter engines." [i believe he said converter.] The other three were like, "Yeah!", "Sure!" "Of course!" as if the question were a no-brainer. The driver then asked, "OK, who here knows how to fix a converter engine?" The other three were stumped.

Being able to process knowledge and theory and calculations and the whole works is one thing. Being able to put the knowledge to use is another. So is being able to adapt to changing situations, being fexible with the recipe, and the like.  We brainiacs have our place, but we'd be helpless without the rest of you who excel in other mental strengths.

So there's the answer to the snobby attitude of superiority.

But as for why those of higher "intelligence" - what I call "academic intelligence" - tend to be less religious is more likely because of the following, I believe.

From studies I've read, it seems as if spiritual processing takes place in the right side of the brain. Academic intellects are strongly left-sided. Thus, it is harder for us to flow in the spirit, connect with the spiritual things, than people who work more out of their right brain.

Best I can tell, most people, turn to God when they are at a place of brokeness, feeling "empty", and the like. Academically intelligent people tend to find their self-worth in their intelligence, trust what is rational and tested, and so on. Point being, it's harder to get us to a place of brokenness such that we are desperate for an answer outside of ourselves and rational thought. It's harder for us to take "a leap of faith".

Anyway, I hope this makes sense to you all.

Whether the research was valid or faulty, their interpretation was lousy.

By academic standards, I am considered very intelligent. However, on the scale of practical know-how, common sense, I tend to be on the low side. My brother is the opposite - low on academic intelligence, high on the know-how, common sense intelligence.

Our society places too much value on academic intelligence, as if we are somehow superior to the rest of society. Balony! I'm reminded of a scene from "Big Bang Theory" on TV. (I was at someone's house who had it on, so my understanding of the show is spotty. What I do know is that the 4 main characters are sterotypical geeks of the nerdy variety.) The four guys were in a car when the engine sputtered. The driver said, "Who knows something here about converter engines." [i believe he said converter.] The other three were like, "Yeah!", "Sure!" "Of course!" as if the question were a no-brainer. The driver then asked, "OK, who here knows how to fix a converter engine?" The other three were stumped.

Being able to process knowledge and theory and calculations and the whole works is one thing. Being able to put the knowledge to use is another. So is being able to adapt to changing situations, being fexible with the recipe, and the like.  We brainiacs have our place, but we'd be helpless without the rest of you who excel in other mental strengths.

So there's the answer to the snobby attitude of superiority.

But as for why those of higher "intelligence" - what I call "academic intelligence" - tend to be less religious is more likely because of the following, I believe.

From studies I've read, it seems as if spiritual processing takes place in the right side of the brain. Academic intellects are strongly left-sided. Thus, it is harder for us to flow in the spirit, connect with the spiritual things, than people who work more out of their right brain.

Best I can tell, most people, turn to God when they are at a place of brokeness, feeling "empty", and the like. Academically intelligent people tend to find their self-worth in their intelligence, trust what is rational and tested, and so on. Point being, it's harder to get us to a place of brokenness such that we are desperate for an answer outside of ourselves and rational thought. It's harder for us to take "a leap of faith".

Anyway, I hope this makes sense to you all.

That's a very insightful theory I think!  I also agree that there are more kinds of intelligence than academic, that was one of the criticisms of the report and a valid one at that.  People of higher academic intelligence, for example, tend to have lower social or emotional intelligence.  Neuro-diversity!  :36:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Evidently, Professor Zuckerman's analysis didn't include all of the facts.  

A new study published in The Journal of College AdmissionHYPERLINK "http://i.bnet.com/blogs/homeschool.pdf" suggests that homeschool students enjoy higher ACT scores, grade point averages and graduation rates compared with other college students. The finding are especially interesting because there has been a paucity of research focused on how homeschooled students fare in college.

Homeschooled students enjoys a larger percentage than any other, at 30%, which are homeschooled for religious purposes  . So I would conclude Mr. Zuckerman's analysis is inaccurate.