• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,634
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/18/1961

As I look around my household and see the "things" that we hold on to .. Do we in America and world wide hold on to "things".. Are They Idols? or not? I Pray Not

America being probably the richest nation in the world I look around and see What a "material" world it has become here.. May The Lord have mercy on our nation.......

And what "fools" we have become..........

Luke 12:13-21 And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

Are we storing up Idols?

Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Love in Christ .. Yur Bro ..... Chuck

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.75

I do enjoy purchasing things for my home...pretty things for the walls floors (throw rugs) and so on. Although yard sales are my favorite place for such items. Maybe its a woman thing :taped: I don't let them rule me though...I have had many things broken (nik-nacs etc..) and really just don't care. I try to keep the attitude that these "things" are disposable....my family and love for God isn't!!

Great post by the way. It really makes you think and look around you. :thumbsup: I will be thinking about this post for a while... :24:

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

Bro Chuck

I was just thinking the same thing last night!

I look at my new television set, and all the other comforts around me, then I thought about people who have nothing. In some countries they don't even have a warm place to sleep for the night.

When I was an RMP in England, Canada, i often watched the homeless, two of those people stand out in my mind, i do not recollect their names or if they ever told me them.

Firstly, there was a young teenage boy in Colchester, England, who i first met on quite a cold and rainy night whilst out on patrol, all he had was the clothes on his back and this sopping wet yellow blanket to keep him warm, which wasn't doing a very good job.

Secondly, an elderly lady in Medicine Hat, Canada. One day whilst out on patrol with the local force officer we came upon this elderly lady walking across the main highway. The officer stopped, was very pleasent, asked her a few questions, she told us that she had come to meet her daughter. While they were both talking i noticed a lot of things about her, apart from the fact she was painfully thin, she also carried a plastic bag with what i believe was all she owned in this world, her clothes were in a terrible state, wrinkled and looked like they had days of dust on them, when i looked down to her feet she was wearing a pair of sandles with a strap which came around the back of the heel. I noticed then that these straps had almost embedded themselves into both heels, there was blood oozing out and it was clear an infection had set in, this woman must have walked for miles and days!

My point is this, how much do i need these material things i have? When i think of all the money i have spent on all these things, just because i wanted them, would i give them up or sell them to give the little boy or the elderly lady a roof over their heads for a few nights and a warm meal in their stomachs? I don't know, would I?

We build our material things around us and feel satisfaction in them because we feel we have earned them, but could that money not have been better spent? Brother Thomas is right, we should think before we buy, do we need it? Or do we want it?

Your Sister in Christ Jesus

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Amen Bro, I agree. I look at some people that have everything this world has to offer. More money then they know what to do with, huge expensive homes, costly cars. Yes they have everything the "world" has to offer but are bankrupt spiritually, and I for one wouldn't trade places with them for all their money, because I know my riches lie in a place where they are safe and are eternal. So eat your hearts Hollywood, I'm richer then you will ever be!

Edited by Rustyangel

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

And the Lord spoke to the church of Laodicia:

Revelation 3:14 "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked-- 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." ' "

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I have seen and heard of great wealth dripping from ministers of the Gospel in the form of flashy gold rings and heavy gold chains the very best clothes and cars and their houses overflowing with works of art and rare antiques...I would say this is not expedient.

I have seen people with very little who are never the less very stingy and mean-spirited and clutch to thenselves what little they possess.

Sometimes a wealthyman man can give $1,000's away and yet it is a poor reflection of his accumulated wealth but people admire his generosity...at othertimes people can despise another persons wealth and lifestyle never realising that the person they disdain is so blessed that they give away 90% of all their wealth and still maintain a lovely lifestyle.

Each of us whatever our estate needs to deal wisely with the money and possessions we have and learn to truely give from our hearts whether from abundance or from frugality.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

Botz,

That is so true, learning to give from the heart, no matter how much money we own.

Your Sister in Christ Jesus

Anne