IGNORED

Was Jesus crucified on a cross or on a tree?

Hall7

Guest AFlameOfFire

hate to break this to you all, but the NT was written in greek. So if the greek said cross it meant cross. Second, the cross, in Roman times, was often referred to as a tree-as it was made out of wood, and there wasn't a lot of natural trees in the area. So in reality, even though it was upon a cross-which is backed up by other roman manuscripts (it was the Romans favorite way to execute someone in that era) it was referred to as the tree. Its like we call vise grips vise grips, even though anymore most of them arnt made by vise. . .and the technical term for them is locking pliers.

Yes, we know the NT is written in Greek, but Paul (in the NT Greek) was referring to what was written in the OT Hebrew here...

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

We know its a cross, all three are really referring to the same thing. But being hung on a tree was written of far earlier then Roman times, and just in Paul saying, "it is written" means he is referring back into the Hebrew

Duet 21:22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:

That's all.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

All goes back to your definition of tree.

Guest AFlameOfFire

Yeah there's also the reference to being lifted up and set on a pole too

Numbers 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

John 12:33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hummm. Wan't the cross made from a tree? So what is the problem?

The question was because some believe He was crucified on a "living" tree. Doesn't matter the question has been solved...

I am wondering how these people explain the passages about Jesus  having to carry His cross. How would He have carried a living tree?

Guest AFlameOfFire

Duet 21:22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death , and thou hang him on a tree

1Peter 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

Acts 10:3 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

Acts 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Duet 21:23 His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

Mat 27:57 When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:

Mat 27:58 He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.

Acts 13:9 And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulcher.

Mat 27:59  And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,

Mat 27:60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.

Romans 4:5 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

2Cr 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Even as wood and tree are the same word in the OT, that which is shown in a figure in Abraham offering up Isaac is shown openly in Jesus Christ

Gen 22:6 And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son

Showing in Abraham the Son that come by promise (called his only begotten) even though he had Ishmael was offered up

Romans 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Theres so many cool pictures in scripture.

Edited by AFlameOfFire

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Hummm. Wan't the cross made from a tree? So what is the problem?

The question was because some believe He was crucified on a "living" tree. Doesn't matter the question has been solved...

I am wondering how these people explain the passages about Jesus  having to carry His cross. How would He have carried a living tree?

lol ...They got that big strong Ethiopian guy who looks like Atlas to to it. He would have had to carry it with the roots in back so he could see where he was going, and they would have still drug the ground because trees usually have as much below ground as on top of the ground. Then they would have had to drive the green end into the ground and the roots would have formed an umbrella. It does give you more to meditate on.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

the thing is, in the OT the "cross" hadn't been invented yet-as a form of execution, it was unheard of. So a "tree" was the only way to come across to the Israelites in a way they could understand.

Guest AFlameOfFire

Heres a few ways others were hanged on a tree as expressed then

Of the bakers dream Joseph had interpreted (The head off from thee and hung on a tree)

Gen 40:19 Yet within three days shall Pharaoh lift up thy head from off thee, and shall hang thee on a tree; and the birds shall eat thy flesh from off thee.

And of Saul (whose head was cut off and his body fastened to a wall) rather then a tree

1Sam 31:9 And they cut off his head, and stripped off his armour, and sent into the land of the Philistines round about, to publish it in the house of their idols, and among the people.

1Sam 31:10 And they put his armour in the house of Ashtaroth: and they fastened his body to the wall of Bethshan.

Joshua slew five Kings and hanged them on five trees

Josh 10:26 And afterward Joshua smote them, and slew them, and hanged them on five trees: and they were hanging upon the trees until the evening.

And likewise it says of Jesus... whom they slew and hanged him on a tree

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

There seem to be various ways to be hanged, and to what one was fastened to, whether a tree or a wall, with or without their heads

In Esther there was the gallows (which always made me think of the wild west hanging by a rope). But theres a few commentaries that suggest otherwise, one of those is Gills commentary when Haman made a high tree (or wood) of fifty cubits to hang Mordecai’s body

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/esther-5-14.html

Its hard to tell because the word hanged doesn't necessarily indicate the manner of hanging, the verses are far more telling

For example,

Lam 5:12 Princes are hanged up by their hand: the faces of elders were not honoured.

Whereas Jesus Christ, the Prince of life (was also hanged on a tree) where the piercing his hands and feet are noted

Psalm 22:16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

Acts 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Which we all know is crucifixion

Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

Luke 24:29 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

And of Thomas who wasn't with the other disciples when Jesus showed himself

John 20:25 Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

And to whom Jesus showed himself.

The tree, wood, and cross are of the same, and the manner in which he was hanged on a tree is very clear (no argument from me).