Jon The Jew

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

When I meet someone new, or someone older comes up to shake my hand, I take my hat off.

If you are in church and gathered together to worship and PRAYER, Jesus saying the "My Father's house is a house of prayer", shouldn't we remove our hats/head coverings as men?

Well if we're going by what Jesus says, then the women should remove their hats as well. If we go scripturally, then men take their hats off (which "uncovered" to the best of my understanding is not concerning hats), and women leave their hats on.

The Church is me. God's House is me. It's not an empty, souless building. The Church is the body of believers, thus God's House is in my soul, not a certain place I happen to be standing.

Different people are at different stages in their walk in the Way. So yes botz i would not be overly worried about a babe in Jesus wearing a hat while praying, out of ignorance to the Word. But once one has heard the Word then it will convict.

If I were you, I'd ask God to straigten your priorities. I am not convicted about wearing a hat in church whatsoever. And I'm hardly a newborn Christian. I recognize more important things, my eyes are not "on things on the world" as the Bible says. When I see a student wearing a hat, should I approach them and tell them to take it off, then walk away? Or should I get to know them, try a better approach to asking them if "ordered" to?

All I'm seeing here is a lot of pick and choose scripture application, which is typical to proof-text tradition.

Edited by Jon The Jew

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

When I see a student wearing a hat, should I approach them and tell them to take it off, then walk away?

No. Did i say that? i would encourage them to read the Word. Now if upon reading the Word they are convicted to remove their hat then so be it and if they are not convicted them so be it. But i am convicted that it is wrong for a man to pray while wearing a hat or head covering, that is what the Word is saying to me.

Or should I get to know them, try a better approach to asking them if "ordered" to?

I am not sure what the exact nature of the question is. "ordered to?

Of course i would get to know them in a friendly manner we are even called to love our enemies and to reach out to all men with the word. :24:

All praise The Ancient Of Days

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Aw, forget it! If somebody wants to be deliberately disrespectful of God--not even give Him the respect we have to give to a human judge and courtroom--YOU JUST GO FOR IT!

"He that is ignorant, let him remain ignorant still......"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

I just don't see how it's disrespecting God. I too was going to post some verses about a woman HAVING to cover her head .

1 Cor. 11.

5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered.

The fact is, all these things are TRADITIONS. None of them came directly from Jesus. In those days they had many diff. traditions than we do now. It used to be the traditions that people take off their hats going in ANYWHERE, not just church. To other people's homes, when meeting new people, and I'm sure many other instances. It's not that way much anymore. Most young people aren't going to get offended if someone introduces someone else, or themselves, without taking off their hat. It also used to be traditions that men would stand when a woman came into the room, or left the room. If you DIDN'T it was a sign of disrespect. It's not like that any more. There are so many traditions that come and go, and it's NOT a major issue. Saying you HAVE to take off your hat to come to this church, etc. Is legalism. I often wear a beanie, or bandana to church. Am I doing it out of disrespect of God? NO. I'm doing it because it's a part of my outfit, or I'm having a bad hair day.. or something. To say that someone is purposely disrespecting God for wearing a hat in church is wrong. You don't know that person's heart, and there are alot bigger issues to worry about within the body of Christ.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

I think we can all argue tradition, scripture, law etc. The fact of the matter is that it is a sign of respect and reverence. What is the big deal in taking off your hat if asked? People are lost and going to hell out there...that's what we should be more concerned about.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

I just don't see how it's disrespecting God. I too was going to post some verses about a woman HAVING to cover her head . 

1 Cor. 11. 

5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered.

The fact is, all these things are TRADITIONS. None of them came directly from Jesus. In those days they had many diff. traditions than we do now. It used to be the traditions that people take off their hats going in ANYWHERE, not just church. To other people's homes, when meeting new people, and I'm sure many other instances. It's not that way much anymore. Most young people aren't going to get offended if someone introduces someone else, or themselves, without taking off their hat. It also used to be traditions that men would stand when a woman came into the room, or left the room. If you DIDN'T it was a sign of disrespect. It's not like that any more. There are so many traditions that come and go, and it's NOT a major issue. Saying you HAVE to take off your hat to come to this church, etc. Is legalism. I often wear a beanie, or bandana to church. Am I doing it out of disrespect of God? NO. I'm doing it because it's a part of my outfit, or I'm having a bad hair day.. or something. To say that someone is purposely disrespecting God for wearing a hat in church is wrong. You don't know that person's heart, and there are alot bigger issues to worry about within the body of Christ.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Nick's Girl,

The verse you quoted is a verse from the bible and is therefore not TRADITION. It is scripture. Since when do we get to pick and chose which verses are from the Lord and which are tradition.

1Co 14:37  If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
This is taken from the same letter. Paul doesn't refer to them as suggestions either, they are the COMMANDMENTS of the Lord.
2Ti 3:16  All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 

17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

And when Paul says all does he really mean all.

LT

Aw, forget it!  If somebody wants to be deliberately disrespectful of God--not even give Him the respect we have to give to a human judge and courtroom--YOU JUST GO FOR IT!

"He that is ignorant, let him remain ignorant still......"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have failed to show how it is disrespectful to God.

What is the big deal in taking off your hat if asked? People are lost and going to hell out there...that's what we should be more concerned about.

Well, then what's the big deal about someone wearing their hat in church? What if I was lost and a friend brought me? My first impression of Christians is hats are bad, and in order to be a Christian, I have to follow strict and pointless rules.

Again, I'm not interested in tradition, I'm interested in the Bible. "It's disrespectful to God" is putting words in God's mouth. Did God, or the Bible, ever say anything about our clothing being disrespectful to God (if it is not causing others to sin)?

Hi Jon,

Again, I'm not interested in tradition, I'm interested in the Bible. "It's disrespectful to God" is putting words in God's mouth. Did God, or the Bible, ever say anything about our clothing being disrespectful to God (if it is not causing others to sin)?
Just one place that I can see.
1Co 11:4  Every man praying or prophesying, having [his] head covered, dishonoureth his head.
So when you pray or prophesy do you remove your hat/head covering?

And I believe women should cover their heads when they pray or prophesy.

LT

Look in the context and you'll see it's talking about hair. Read the verses after it.

Also, it says you dishonor your head, not God.

Look in the context and you'll see it's talking about hair. Read the verses after it.

Also, it says you dishonor your head, not God.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The context goes back to vs 3

1 Cor. 11:3  But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4  Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

Vs 3 says our head is Christ, God.

LT