Jon The Jew

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I had an usher approach me and a friend the other day for wearing hats in the sanctuary. He asked us to remove them, and I looked at him and asked "why?".

He sat there for a moment, just looking with a shocked look on his face. Until finally one of the students said "It's God's house!" and he nodded, pointed to the student, and said "yeah!". As he turned to walk away I said "hang on a minute...where is that in the Bible?". Another shocked look came on his face. Then I said "Biblically, this building is just that, a building. God's house is found in the Body of Christ, which is believers. We are the Church". I proceeded to ask him again "So is it Biblical or traditional?". He said "whatever" and walked away.

So, where exactly do we get this from? How exactly am I showing disrespect to God by wearing a hat? How can I disrespect God with clothing at all?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Jon the Jew,

Are you really a Jew? If so, then perhaps you might want to join a Messianic group and be able to wear a Yemulka.

This doctrine of not wearing hats in the church is a "tradition of men", I believe it stems from the fact that we are to submit ourselves to God and thus have no "earthly covering" except for God. On the other hand, some churches have required women to wear an appropriate hat, because it demonstrated their submission to their husbands, or men in general, such as the Pastor. These are pretty archaic doctrines, but are still honored by some in the ministry.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I agree with DE. It's tradition.

However, I think that it's pretty rude for a man to wear a hat inside period. In the mall or supermarket - no biggie. But in a business or church building I think it's not appropriate.

To me it's more a matter of decency and respect than a legalistic mandate.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Well, we have to understand that there is no biblical basis for this. People try to talk about how a man should not have his head covered while praying, but if this is the case, then we should never be allowed to wear hats. It doesn't address the church situation. So, should we wear our hats in the sanctuary?

I think if it offends someone, then take it off. If you were to walk into a Japenese congregation, they'd expect you to take your shoes off. Now, I don't think we should become legalistc about such things, however, to save face and a fight it's sometimes best to take the hat off.

Oh, and Jon, rev up the Halo 2. I am ready to defeat thee.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I had an usher approach me and a friend the other day for wearing hats in the sanctuary. He asked us to remove them, and I looked at him and asked "why?".

He sat there for a moment, just looking with a shocked look on his face. Until finally one of the students said "It's God's house!" and he nodded, pointed to the student, and said "yeah!". As he turned to walk away I said "hang on a minute...where is that in the Bible?". Another shocked look came on his face. Then I said "Biblically, this building is just that, a building. God's house is found in the Body of Christ, which is believers. We are the Church". I proceeded to ask him again "So is it Biblical or traditional?". He said "whatever" and walked away.

So, where exactly do we get this from? How exactly am I showing disrespect to God by wearing a hat? How can I disrespect God with clothing at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the next time you want to go see a movie, let me know so I can wear my ten-gallon hat and sit in front of you......

I was raised that when entering a building the hat comes off..... the only time a person was to continue wearing a hat inside ( men ) was if they was a serviceman, doing work within the house, or building......

in the military, the hats come off at the door coming in, and are replaced back on the head upon exiting the building.....

just good manners to remove the hat when entering a building.....

when i enter my house, my hat comes off... when i enter the school building my hat comes off ( not because of school rules, but cause it is proper and a good example for the students that attend there )... when I enter your house, as a guest, my hat will come off..... if I am working on your house, the hat may or may not stay on... usually if i am going to be working inside, the hat will remain in my truck..... if i am under your house, the hat will stay on, unless there is so little room to maneuver that it would be a hassle.......

women are allowed to wear hats inside, but i would only hope that they would use more courtesy when deciding which hat to wear.... them three foot diameter hats are a bit much when sitting in front of some one, and just about any hat that is over sized is a bit much..... bring back the pill box........hehehehehehe

for the most part, if a person is consciencous of those around them, they will know what hat to wear and when not to wear a hat.....

mike

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the next time you want to go see a movie, let me know so I can wear my ten-gallon hat and sit in front of you......

I was raised that when entering a building the hat comes off..... the only time a person was to continue wearing a hat inside ( men ) was if they was a serviceman, doing work within the house, or building......

in the military, the hats come off at the door coming in, and are replaced back on the head upon exiting the building.....

just good manners to remove the hat when entering a building.....

when i enter my house, my hat comes off... when i enter the school building my hat comes off ( not because of school rules, but cause it is proper and a good example for the students that attend there )... when I enter your house, as a guest, my hat will come off..... if I am working on your house, the hat may or may not stay on... usually if i am going to be working inside, the hat will remain in my truck..... if i am under your house, the hat will stay on, unless there is so little room to maneuver that it would be a hassle.......

women are allowed to wear hats inside, but i would only hope that they would use more courtesy when deciding which hat to wear.... them three foot diameter hats are a bit much when sitting in front of some one, and just about any hat that is over sized is a bit much..... bring back the pill box........hehehehehehe

for the most part, if a person is consciencous of those around them, they will know what hat to wear and when not to wear a hat.....

mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on, brutha'!

I wish more men had this kind of understanding. What ever happened to manners in this country?

Know what ticks me of to no end? When you see guys with their hats on at ball games while the National Anthem is being sung! Hey, doofus, remove your lid while our country's anthem is being sung!!! Grrrrr.....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

For many years it was tradition not to wear hats anywhere inside a building. I wish it was still that way myself. If you leave your hat on around my dad, he often removes it for you. The second time he has been known to step on it before he hands it to you.....

Things and people change...... sometimes for the worse as I see it.

Dad says it is common courtesy, and I tend to agree.

SE

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

To those of you who think this is simply tradition; BEHOLD THE SCRIPTURE: "Any man who prays or prophesies while capped, disgraces his Head (Christ)...."

• Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Leonard is right it is biblical

1 Corinthians 11

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

Amen Trinity!

1 Corinthians 11:4