IGNORED

What I should know about prayer

Guest DRS81

I need help understanding this subject of God. I never really understood this relevation of who God is. Why pray when God is already omniscient and omnipresent. He knows everything and is everywhere at the same time. So my question is why pray when God knows your heart tomorrow. What exactly should I know about praying. How do I pray, and most importantly HOW MANY TIMES should I pray. Should I pray every day, once a week, once a month or whenever I need a desire fulfilled. I do know that scripture says that we should not repeat ourselves in prayer and that we should only pray for things accordingly to ONLY HIS WILL. What else should I know. What does scripture say. Blessings. - DRS81

Guest AFlameOfFire

Heres a few verses that could prove helpful to you, these are a few I have gleaned when asking a very similar question myself, so I wrote them out as I was catching them. I'll post a few for you.

My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer

And we are His House

Thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly

And when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking

Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

So He knows (already) what you have need of, but you have not because ye ask not, He wants us to ask Him.

So the disciple ask Him to teach them how to pray too...

Lord, teach us to pray...

And he said unto them, When ye pray, say,

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation,

So as He says, so likewise we do, and say...

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil

Men ought always to pray, and not to faint

Likewise...

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

Praying according to His will as shown here...

Pray ye the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

They ask the same of you according to the will of the Lord

Saying, Pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you

So all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them

Wherefore also we pray always for you

That God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power

To pray for

And pray that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Ye have not, because ye ask not

Ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him

This is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men

Even as...

We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you

And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment

In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said,

Ask what I shall give thee.

And Solomon said,

Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.

And God said unto him,

Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart

Did not he that made that which is without make that which is within also?

Who hath put wisdom in the inward parts? or who hath given understanding to the heart?

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Is any thing too hard for the LORD? (I just added that one in) lol

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus

Likewise,

Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!

And God granted him that which he requested.

But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

Behold, I have done according to thy words

Give thanks for others

I cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

Pray also,

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

And this I pray,

That your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;

Ask what you will,

Paul's daily prayer seemed to be..."that I might know him"

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

And Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee?

Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Not sure if all of these were helpful or not, they were to me even in being the foundation of some of my  prayers. This being more the first layout of how I would know to ask after. What was really a blessing was taking them and tweeking them into a more personal prayer. I have an example of that in a cleaner form. Although Im not one for reading off my prayer so much, but more so those I want to remember in them (so I do not forget). However, that still helped also.

God richly bless you!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Jesus taught us to pray for our daily bread. So how often? Daily at least. Heidi Baker, check her out, her ministry, Iris, In Mozambique is amazing. Says her every breath is a prayer...

The morning I was saved my brother said to me, that's 16 years of prayer answered. So how often? Every day, every breath, and always.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  338
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  4

Pray often , it is your spiritual weapon  against  the enemy and a lack of it will cause us to depend on ourselves instead of God , this is also your communication with your Father , he wants you to know who he is , when you pray , just talk to him , he's your Father , he want's a personal relationship with you and your dependence on him , I  would encourage as you start your prayer life ,to start your day thanking him , asking him to guide your ways , in word ,thought and deed , and pray for the need's of other's , 

Edited by cozmoe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Hi DRS,

The Bible tells us we should pray without ceasing....I believe the word "pray'' is a stumbling block for alot of people,it simply means to "talk" to our Father....Jesus reconciled us that we can go directly to Him as His children,not as a genie in a bottle to grant our requests but to have a close,personal relationship with Him.You can pray with or without words,sitting,standing,face down,walking,working....all day long.......without ceasing......ask Him to help you to pray in spirit,talk to Him and delight His heart.....give Him the first fruit of your thoughts and lips in the morning.He does know our every thought and need but gives us free will to want a relationship with Him or not......Jesus makes continual intercession for us as He sits at the right hand of the Father,ask Jesus to help you to be more like Him.....He said He will never leave us or forsake us and no matter what we ask of the Father in His Name...He will give us according to His Will......I am praying for you!

With Love ,Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

Prayer is the ultimate and most personal intimate part with My God...and the only way to communicate with Him...I walk in a Continuous Prayer...I am in a continuous prayer...Truly believing it's an exchange of Love...It's Communication...Both Ways...My my...I just don't have the vocabulary in human words...Whew...

I Need Him 24/7/365...

and mixed with Pure Faith Believing He Is Who He Says He Is...Well that's just where miracles happen!!! And He Loves Us So Much That He Wants Us To Walk In Him...To Know Him...To Love Him...To Depend on Him...To Walk as He Walked...

So many times, Our Jesus, went to the quiet place to be with His and Our Father...It is an amazing place...There is no pain...no sadness...in unity with Him...In His Presence...I want to never leave...

Like Fez said...Heidi Baker..."Consumed by Love" is probably the best example to see what I'm saying...She is Praising, Praying and Singing In The Spirit Too...She walks mightily Healing The Sick...Taking care of orphans...and that's not all!!! God has used her so mightily!!! Just look at her relationship with Him...It's amazing...

Love In Him, Kathy