• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

I agree with you that Neil's ideas are very interesting, they are unique and different for both the believers and the non-believers.

But I am not going to lie to you, I am a 50 year old man who has had a successful career in the Military, will soon hold a Masters Degree and takes the time to read and study what it is I believe.  I do not appreciate being talked down to like I am a 5th grader.  I do not like being told I don't even know what I believe.  these sorts of statements will never make one change their mind, they will only fortify the mind against.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I have an issue with some of the debate threads that go on and on and on.It seems like some like to get the last word in and they think their view is the only view.I basically come here for Christian fellowship.

just came to my mind about the last word. You are not referring to the 'is it just me', aren't you? talking about fruitlessness.. ;)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

If you are going to quote scripture, quote scripture. Do not disrespect His words to prove a point or to try and be cute.

You may not post any material that is disrespectful of God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, or the Bible

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I have an issue with some of the debate threads that go on and on and on.It seems like some like to get the last word in and they think their view is the only view.I basically come here for Christian fellowship.

just came to my mind about the last word. You are not referring to the 'is it just me', aren't you? talking about fruitlessness.. ;)

No 'is it just me' is just for fun and it has a special place in many poster's hearts.It has been going on for a long,long time.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Also some  further reminders from the ToS...

If you have a problem with any of the Moderators or Chat admin, please keep it private. The moderation team serves this ministry on a voluntary basis. They are human beings and make mistakes. If you disagree with one of their decisions, make use of the PM system or email or the Report Post button to get satisfaction. (Matt. 18:15)

This is a privately funded message board, we reserve the right to edit or remove any postings that we feel are detrimental to the fellowship on this board, or detrimental to the witness of the board, as we see fit. It is not possible to read every post. If you see a board violation, please report it using the “Report Post” button.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  02/02/1980

I agree with you that Neil's ideas are very interesting, they are unique and different for both the believers and the non-believers.

But I am not going to lie to you, I am a 50 year old man who has had a successful career in the Military, will soon hold a Masters Degree and takes the time to read and study what it is I believe.  I do not appreciate being talked down to like I am a 5th grader.  I do not like being told I don't even know what I believe.  these sorts of statements will never make one change their mind, they will only fortify the mind against.

Let's talk about this backfire thing for a moment.

Ask yourself this question: Why do we have presidential debates in the U.S.?

Mitt Romney is not trying to sway his opponent or change his way of thinking. He is trying to convince you that he is the right man for the Job. Where people got the idea that a religious debate was designed to change the mind of the participants is beyond me...when I engage in a discussion with Neil or anyone else, I am trying to expose the flaws in their thinking, not to them, but to those who are following along.

The Bible says to "prove all things"...while many are probably wrong, including myself, we are right to try and defend our position.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Previously, Neil wrote:

"Actually, in my opinion it’s not clear at all. To the contrary, it’s clear that many don’t know what they believe in.

Evolutionists are also taken by surprise when asked what is it exactly that they believe in: gradualism or p.e. And many other things."

I've just deleted a draft response that was going to end up asking what p.e. was, but I've just worked it out - punctuated equilibrium.

I believe in both. To my mind, punctuated equilibrium represents a comparatively rapid change from a gene pool of one, almost stable, population, to a noticeably different gene pool of a subsequent population (which in turn becomes almost stable). The comparatively rapid change is never the less i n c r e d i b l y slow (no, much much slower than you've just imagined), and takes place over very many generations; this "rapid" phase is what punctuates the equilibrium of the two populations. In other words, the period of "comparatively rapid change" is itself a period of gradualism, but a gradualism that proceeds at a faster rate than either of the periods of equilibrium.

For me, the discussion is about rate and pattern, not a choice between two conflicting theories. Surprised you asked.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Replying to the OP:

Why am I here?

I joined originally for some interesting discussions about evolution, but it has developed since to include enjoyment of fellowship. I still don't like the "vs." bit of the forum's title, although some of the posts have made me realise, with great sadness, that's it's not as much a false dichotomy as I first thought. I rather go along with Augustine's thoughts on the matter - there can only  ever be one type of truth, and that comes from God. In typing that, I realise I probably also come here as witness, poor though it is. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/07/1967

to the OP (JDAVIS) cool post and I agree.  Personally I'm an Hugh Ross,  Old Earth Creationist myself.

Why am I here?    Well besides obvious ones like passing the time and satifsying curiosity, the most compelling one is really personal growth, especially in the area of ministry, the ability to express yourself and so on.    In life I was very affected by things like the Joeharri window, the notion of "Finding your voice" as a writer, and various other kinds of Biblical notions like Christs parable of the talents, and even some sermons preaching on some Biblical passages like God asking Moses "What is in your hand?" (How people can find their calling by using whatever God has given them in the present here and now).

From my experience you grow more with interaction.   Part of it is simply using those talents and gifts that God has given you and getting better at it in the process.    But then the other part is the Joeharri window end of being exposed to different points of view and how that can help you.   Anyway I found that sort of thing very compelling.   And I find myself wanting to grow more to do more things ministerially than I do now.  Especially since one can sometimes be in very humble and limited circumstances, but the internet itself is a wide open field that is always there waiting.

I do generally agree that in doing such things we should strive to not be obnoxious etc.   In the past, at times I realize I was gulty of such things.   But that like much of life is a bit of a learning process as well (i..e- appreciating the folly of trying to lead horses to drink from streams they are dead set against.   Believing that you can get people in a Full Nelson hold of reason etc.)

Edited by Addai