Guest EmmaMay

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

As to that lady who seems to take pleasure in offending you I can only say ...".by their fruits you will know them". Many people label themselves as being Christian but are'nt.

Whenever unbelievers deliberately try to offend me I try to look past the person and remind myself that we "battle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers" 

Sadly there are many preachers who don't like preaching about modesty because it would upset some women who only like to hear that which "tickles the ear" and fits in with their way of life.

"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

Next week I am working in a part of the park where there are young women who don't wear anything from the waist up because that is how they live. I can stop ask directions, chat and there is no un-comfort from them, or indeed me, because it is the norm.

If however I took a photograph of one or more of them and posted it here, it would be very inappropriate. Or if she were wearing tight shorts and nothing else instead of the normal knee length skirt.

Modesty in a far ranging and deep rooted thing. We will never all come to the same conclusion.

Does what you are wearing honour God?

The young Zulu girl, yes, because many are christian and that is the way they live. If my wife was to do it (sorry sweetheart, just an example....), it would not be honoring God, because it would make people around her uncomfortable, as it would me.

As I said, we can never all agree on the finer points of modesty. 

Modesty in a far ranging and deep rooted thing. We will never all come to the same conclusion.

I agree with that statement.What one person thinks is sinful and immoral just as many think it is just fine.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91
  • Days Won:  3

I personally think the best way to go about this is to look at yourself and not others. You know if you are dressed in away that is pleasing to God and that is all you should be concerned about. I do not feel that as Christians we can point fingers at others and judge them for the way they dress.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

No, we shouldn't be judging others, but as brothers and sisters in Christ we do need to keep each other accountable. Sexual immorality is so pervasive in our culture that we do need to guard ourselves and each other.

Sure, we can argue about things like how much arm or how much leg exposed will guard our brothers from undue temptation, but when the first thing a person sees is your cleavage, something is wrong.

Can we at least appreciate that?

No, we shouldn't be judging others, but as brothers and sisters in Christ we do need to keep each other accountable. Sexual immorality is so pervasive in our culture that we do need to guard ourselves and each other.

Sure, we can argue about things like how much arm or how much leg exposed will guard our brothers from undue temptation, but when the first thing a person sees is your cleavage, something is wrong.

I agree sister. :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91
  • Days Won:  3

Perhaps, if it is done in a kind way and not in away to embarrass someone. But if I ever did do this and the answer I got from that person was they feel that God is fine with the way they dress; then that would be the end of of it and I would not beat the person over the head demanding that they change their ways. For who knows, maybe some good Christan would think that I myself am being immodest because I wear shorts. So how can I point my finger at someone else?  I would guess to say that in the eyes of the Amish we all are dressing inappropriately. :happyhappy: 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  5

Yeah well according to some women shouldn't even be revealing their feet or hands or eyes. Hey, a bared food might cause a man to lust! According to those people all the women here are dressing like 'harlots' (which is also why I wish people would stop throwing around that term). Having some community have especially strict dress codes does not seem God honoring to me.

Yeah well according to some women shouldn't even be revealing their feet or hands or eyes. Hey, a bared food might cause a man to lust! According to those people all the women here are dressing like 'harlots' (which is also why I wish people would stop throwing around that term). Having some community have especially strict dress codes does not seem God honoring to me.

A bared food?No,we do not live in Iran.No one is insenuating here that everyone has to be wrapped in a bag.You are over reacting.Everyone knows what modest appropriate attire is.If you are dressed like a harlot then except the fact that you look like one.If it does not seem God honoring to you to dress in a manner that is pleasing to God maybe you had better check your heart.

A bared food?No,we do not live in Iran.No one is insenuating here that everyone has to be wrapped in a bag.You are over reacting.Everyone knows what modest appropriate attire is.If you are dressed like a harlot then except the fact that you look like one.If it does not seem God honoring to you to dress in a manner that is pleasing to God maybe you had better check your heart.

No, not everyone agrees! That's just the point. You seem to think it's obvious that women would be better off wearing large shapeless dresses with old-timey aprons. Others would think that those same women in the large shapeless dresses are dressing like harlots by showing their face, hands, and feet. I see absolutely no problem with shorts and t shirts. Women in other places in the world go topless, everyone thinks that is fine, but think that exposing any leg is dressing like a harlot. No, not "everyone knows what modest appropriate attire is". That has been shown to be factually mistaken in the highest degree.

Just so we keep in mind what are are actually talking about here in terms of adulating Amish dress as ideal. I got this from http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylvania/a/amish_2.htm

"The Amish dress in a very simple style, avoiding all but the most basic ornamentation. Clothing is made at home of plain fabrics and is primarily dark in color. Amish men in general wear straight-cut suits and coats without collars, lapels or pockets. Trousers never have creases or cuffs and are worn with suspenders. Belts are forbidden, as are sweaters, neckties and gloves. Men's shirts fasten with traditional buttons in most orders, while suit coats and vests fasten with hooks and eyes. Young men are clean shaven prior to marriage, while married men are required to let their beards grow. Mustaches are forbidden. Amish women typically wear solid-color dresses with long sleeves and a full skirt, covered with a cape and an apron. They never cut their hair, and wear it in a braid or bun on the back of the head concealed with a small white cap or black bonnet. Clothing is fastened with straight pins or snaps, stockings are black cotton and shoes are also black. Amish women are not permitted to wear patterned clothing or jewelry. The Ordnung of the specific Amish order may dictate matters of dress as explicit as the length of a skirt or the width of a seam."

This is a dress code, a requirement for living in some of these communities. Are people really doing this out of their hearts to please God? To not wear patterned cloth, to avoid zippers or belts? Keep in mind also that the Amish associate obeying the rules of their churches with salvation. I do not think this is right.