• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

The law that Jesus came not to abolish is the Law of the Gospel

This is where you go wrong. When Jesus referred to the laws, He was referring to the Torah. There was no Gospels yet,

Jesus Christ is God and his commandments are the commandments of God. He was God and was the one who gave the commandments to Moses. Then, the Gospel commandments are the commandments that Moses really received.

Sorry, but that is incorrect. Moses was given the 10 Commandments and the entire Torah, which consists of 613 laws. The laws were designed to prove to people that they cannot abide by them alone, that they need God to help, which is why Christ came, to stand in the gap which we could not cross ourselves.

The commandments of the Old Testament are other thing, because they don't keep perfectly the commandments of God as taught by Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ abolished the commandments of the Old Testament.

Nope, Christ did not abolish one law. This teaching does not agree with scripture.  God gave those who lived in the OT time laws to show them that they could not fulfill them, which is why Christ came, to fulfill them for us.

The true Law of God taught by Jesus Christ

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12)

What God wants is the mercy

"If you had known what this means, I want mercy and not sacrifice, you wouldn’t have condemned the innocent" (Matthew 12:7)

Jesus commanded to forgive seventy times seven:

"Then Peter came and said: Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Till seven? Jesus said: I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven" (Matthew 18 :21-22)

Jesus speaks to the pharisees about the Law

"When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had left the Sadducees speechless, they met together. One of them, a legal expert, tested him. Teacher, what is the greatest commandment in the Law? He replied, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: You must love your neighbor as you love yourself. All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commands” (Matthew 22:34-40)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19:16-22)

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

Nobody is disagreeing with what Christ taught, but the theology that He abolished the laws.  He very nicely summed it up when He answered those who tried to disprove Him in Matthew 22:34-40; Mark 12:28-31 and Luke 10:25-27 ...

Matthew 22:34-40 

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

Mark 12:28-31

Then one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, perceiving that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?”

Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.

Luke 10:25-27

And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”

He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?”

So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’”

By fulfilling the laws, we are free from them. This is what scripture teaches. We have a new covenant through Christ. This we know through Ephesians 2:14-16

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.

We clearly see that man could not become righteous through the law, so Christ came to fulfill this requirement for us and become the final scarifice for all who would accept Him.

Scripture does not teach that He abolished any law. That theology was born of man.

Since it was asked of you many times, I will ask one last time. Please supply scripture that tells us that Jesus abolished any law.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

There is a difference between information and revelation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Thread is closed for review.

Please check your PM (Private Messages) at the top left corner of the site with red numbers and white envelope icon next to your name.

God bless,

GE