• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

My ex-husband (who is still my friend) goes to church on Sundays. But during the week he does go to the bar, he plays the lottery everyday and spends money he don't have.

On occasions because he drives and I don't he will come and take me to the stores and do

a few chores that I may need help with.

He believes that just because he goes to church on Sunday and does favors for people that this will help him get into heaven.

But the Bible says you are not saved by works..

Ephesians 2:8-9

New King James Version (NKJV)

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Now in the first example he does good works by going to church. During the week he does not do good works.

If the Bible teaches we are not saved by works then it makes me believe there is no difference between the good works and the bad works but the Bible teaches us to do good things.and God is not pleased when we do wrong.

But if he is living the life doing both good and bad works how does he then obtain the grace of God?

My ex-husband (who is still my friend) goes to church on Sundays. But during the week he does go to the bar, he plays the lottery everyday and spends money he don't have.

On occasions because he drives and I don't he will come and take me to the stores and do

a few chores that I may need help with.

He believes that just because he goes to church on Sunday and does favors for people that this will help him get into heaven.

But the Bible says you are not saved by works..

Ephesians 2:8-9

New King James Version (NKJV)

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Now in the first example he does good works by going to church. During the week he does not do good works.

If the Bible teaches we are not saved by works then it makes me believe there is no difference between the good works and the bad works but the Bible teaches us to do good things.and God is not pleased when we do wrong.

But if he is living the life doing both good and bad works how does he then obtain the grace of God?

Repent.

Guest ninhao

Eph_2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

God performs good works through His people but this doesn't mean His people only do good works. We're all fallible and have the constant battle against the flesh and sin. 

We are being conformed into the image of Jesus

Rom 8:28-29  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.  (29)  For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

through the renewing of our mind

Rom 12:1-2  I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.  (2)  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

This is a process and we can see God helps His children in this transformation

Heb 12:6-7  For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.  (7)  If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

No one will be totally void of bad works in this life time imo.

1Jn 1:8-10  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  (9)  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  (10)  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,138
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Dearest Waiting

God bless you and keep you.It seems you have much concern for your ex-husband and that you two have a pretty good ongoing relationship,glory to God,that is a wonderful thing,I know it appears that he is trying to attain heavenly worthiness by his own works but neither you or I or anyone but God can know this mans heart ...BUT,,,you are in a very good position to serve as Gods laborer and ask him,"Do you know Jesus?Not about Him,but know Him?Is He you Lord & Savior?"

Many people go to church every Sunday and then run around as hellions the rest of the week because they have no relationship with Christ,and many a church by the traditions of men and false teaching have taught them very little (if nothing at all)about calling on Jesus as Lord & Savior and what that truly means.....it does appear that he is trying to live by the law(in his own way)and does not know Gods Grace but without asking him,you can't really make any assumptions and as a Christian are obliged to present him with the Gospel.....he does not seem to be convicted ,so perhaps the Lord is urging you to plant a seed,maybe even water it!

Dear Sister,I will pray for you and him as well...I encourage you to pray that the Holy Spirit lead you & guide you in presenting your ex with the Word of God,he obviously has concern for his eternal spirit,imagine his surprise when he is enlightened?I believe the Lord has positioned you in a place that can lead this fellow to repentance......Jesus will be more than happy to make him a new creature and boy will he have a beautiful testimony to share,giving God all the Glory!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

I should have mentioned that he goes to a Catholic Church and confesses to a priest his sins believing that is repentance.

Then he just starts all over again.

How is it that him believing that telling his sins to a priest is the answer to repenting?

I should have mentioned that he goes to a Catholic Church and confesses to a priest his sins believing that is repentance.

Then he just starts all over again.

How is it that him believing that telling his sins to a priest is the answer to repenting?

Consider the source of his learning.

Jesus said, "If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into the ditch".

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

Hi Waiting...I too am glad that you have any kind of a relationship with your ex-husband...and in your heart, it seems, that you want to know Truth that makes us free...I have experienced the same thing...that some people think that they can (get into Heaven by doing good works)-which is way different than the works that God has planned for us-for after we are saved...and as you have pointed out in the scripture we can not be saved by works...It's by God and His Grace-only...nothing we do ourselves can get us saved and on the straight and narrow path...what I have seen the clearest is for some, there is a verse that talks about they have a form of godliness but deny it's power...(God's ability to change us).

For me, I thought that because I was a good person (I would not be honest with myself on things that I had done) but I thought that I would get into Heaven as I was partying and trying to drink myself to death...

I've also observed that Catholics seem to believe a little different...but the fact remains: God is not limited in how He brings us To The Knowledge of Himself...He can use AA in the beginning, like He did with me...He can use anything and any way...because when He starts drawing us-He just puts this profound desire in us to Know Him...Hallallujah!!!

I'll be praying that your ex-husband find The Way, The Truth and The Life-In Jesus Christ...Our Lord and Savior...Much Love to you In Him...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

James 2:26 Faith without works is dead faith because the lack of works reveals an unchanged life or a spiritually dead heart.

Ephesians 2:8-10 makes it very clear that works do not save us but that we are saved "for good works which God prepared before hand that we would walk in them".

When we are truly born again you will have hearts that are transformed by power of the Holy Spirit where God's law is written so that we might walk in HIs statutes and judgments.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,138
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Beloved Waiting ,

God bless you,I had an incling that he might be Catholic only because I was raised Catholic & it sounded all too familiar to me(lol)..(but let us not label all Catholicism in a derogettory manner)..I knew God lead me here for a reason and I still stand strong in what was laid upon my heart.....you will help in his enlightenment,I am praying for you both.....if God could help me to be "debriefed" and see His Word & hear His Gospel in a brand new Light,there is much hope for your ex -hubby.....you are still a part of his life for a very good reason,dear sister.....praise Jesus,God is awesome!

With love ,in Christ-Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Hi. We are never to stand in judgement of other Christians either. The Bible teaches the same as the Catholic Church, that drunkeness is wrong. It does not say that it is wrong to have A drink. But it is wrong to be addicted--an alcoholic. So only he and the Lord know if he is addicted. Likewise, it is not wise to buy lottery tickets but it is not forbidden in the Bible.

Pray that God fill him with His Holy Spirit and give him wisdom as to how best to spend his money. We are told not to drink wine to excess and I am sure that would include beer, but to be filled with the Holy Spirit. So I will be praying to that end. Blessings, Willa