IGNORED

Discerning the Body of Christ

Guest ninhao

1Co 11:27-32  So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.  (28)  Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.  (29)  For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.  (30)  That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.  (31)  But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.  (32)  Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.

Do some Christians get sick and die today because they are sinning against their Brothers or Sisters? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings dear Brother!

ninhao, I do believe it is the disrespect & lack of reverence for our Lord that brings about this disciplinary action.........say for example communion is being given by those that are just going through the motions(or as Paul described them  eating to get full,they should have eaten at home....paraphrasing obviously)   it should be a very intimate moment with Christ,not a food & drink fest with others....just saying

With love,in Christ-Kwik

or as you say"Kwik Kwik"   lol

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

My opinion of what this is about.

I think we have to start at verse 17 to understand the error of the Corinthians.

1 Cor 11:17 But in giving this instruction, I do not praise you, because you come together not for the better but for the worse. 18 For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that divisions exist among you; and in part I believe it. 19 For there must also be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you. 20 Therefore when you meet together, it is not to eat the Lord’s Supper, 21 for in your eating each one takes his own supper first; and one is hungry and another is drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses in which to eat and drink? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this I will not praise you.

When the people gathered for a dinner which included the bread and wine (as in the Passover seder), which is done in memory of what Jesus did, this celebration is a festival or feast. It is a celebration. But, in the Corinthian church, some groups of people were arriving early so that they could gorge themselves on the food and wine, leaving nothing left for those who came on time. The statement is, if you are so hungry, eat something first at home so that you could eat and share with the others rather then being hogs.

Very simply, if a person gorges themselves on food, and eats way too much food, what happens? The become sick to their stomach. In Roman times, part of the orgy was to engorge oneself a huge amounts of food. They would eat until they would vomit. Then they would eat more.

As far as drinking way to much wine, well, if a person drinks excessively, they will again be sick to their stomach and then they will fall asleep. Verse 30 is very literal and a known result of eating/gorging and becoming drunk.

30 For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.

If someone were to give a dinner party and invite all of us, and we arrived on time only to find another group had arrived early and gorged themselves, and when we arrived all of the wine and food was gone and the early group was sick to their stomach from too much food and wine, and many have passed out, I suspect most of us would be judging the culprits for their rudeness and disgusting habits.

29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly

Those gluttons ate and drank judgement on themselves from the other people because they did not judge the body (others) rightly. They did not consider others, and make sure there was enough food and drink for all. Especially because this feast was done as the body in memory of how Jesus gave Himself for us. If there is no other time, people should have consideration for others.

The section is summarised as to what should be done.

33 So then, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34 If anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, so that you will not come together for judgment.

So, I do not believe that people get sick and die because they are sinning against they brothers. They get sick and pass out because of gluttony, if they overindulge, and are judged by the rest of us.  

So, I do not believe that people get sick and die because they are sinning against they brothers. They get sick and pass out because of gluttony, if they overindulge, and are judged by the rest of us.  

This is interesting Qnts2 and an interpretation I haven't heard before. The passage seems to link the sickness and death to judgement and discipline from God not from us. ie. if this sickness and death are self inflicted from gluttony how is it discipline from God ?

1Co 11:30-32  That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.  (31)  But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.  (32)  Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.

I think those who do not discern the body of Christ in the breaking of the Bread are not Christians at all....don't you see believe the Bread as His body broken for you?

Hello Brother Paul this is another interpretation I haven't heard before very good. Do you say the sickness and death is caused by God as discipline ? If so it's interesting to me that God usually disciplines His children for their benefit. I'm not sure I can understand how God disciplines non believers so that they will not be condemned with the world can you explain further. 

1Co 11:32  Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.

Blessings dear Brother!

ninhao, I do believe it is the disrespect & lack of reverence for our Lord that brings about this disciplinary action.........say for example communion is being given by those that are just going through the motions(or as Paul described them  eating to get full,they should have eaten at home....paraphrasing obviously)   it should be a very intimate moment with Christ,not a food & drink fest with others....just saying

With love,in Christ-Kwik

or as you say"Kwik Kwik"   lol

Kwik what do you think the examination is for ? Some people say it's for unrepeated sin.

1Co 11:28-29  Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.  (29)  For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to you ninhao!

I am sure you meant unrepented(type o?) and I agree,mainly any unforgiveness harboured in our hearts or bitterness,anger,resentments .......Yeah,I agree        Hey Brother,have a beautiful day in the Lord & let us praise His Holy Name!!!!!!

With love in Christ,your Sis-Kwik

Oh & of course,like I said previously....the same applies here(intent)this should be a very intimate moment with Christ....it is the taking of His flesh & His Blood(oh my Gob,praise Jesus...I have a lump in my throat!)that He gave as the sacrifice,taking our place in that torture.........into our own bodies,the Precious & Holiest of Holy flesh & Blood......

lol-I keep adding and I really like to keep things simple if possible & I don't like repeating over & over the same things posted(as we are really all saying the same thing-praise the Lord!)but I can't even describe fully the cleanliness I wish(for me examining myself)for my heart to have in preparation for Him,for God Almighty  by confessing & repenting

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

J

I also believe we should confess before receiving communion...He is just and faithful to forgive and cleanse...but what we are about to enter into (the mystery of His body) is the reason why we can benefit from this///because His body was broken for us and His blood has been shed. We do this in remembrance of Him (what He did should be present in our hearts and minds). Believers, thanks be to God, are disciplined to develop us and bring us closer and closer to the image of His Son, but non-believers eat to their own condemnation (as what was accomplished - His crucifiction, burial, and resurrection from the dead - witnesses against them). Gluttony and drunkedness has no place in the house of the Lord...do that at home if they will but not when they come to the Lord's table...it mocks the finished work on our (and their) behalf...I don't know...maybe I am a little off, but I take it seriously. I believe we receive communion, not take it. For me it is a mystery we enter into (He in us and we in Him) not just a ritual we engage in.

In His love

Brother Paul

I pretty much agree except the part about gluttony and and drunkeness should be done at home. These things should not be a life style at any time or in any place.

I also often discern Christ's body on earth, fellow believers, in addition to the above. We as a part of Jesus are also a part of each other, even those we disagree with. Recognizing and appreciating others in whom Christ lives is very important. Christ prayed that we be one just as He and the Father are one and in each other; we also are one by virtue of the Holy Spirit living in us. "For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread. 1 Cor. 10:17

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  907
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,650
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

1Co 11:27-32  So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.  (28)  Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.  (29)  For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.  (30)  That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.  (31)  But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment.  (32)  Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.

Do some Christians get sick and die today because they are sinning against their Brothers or Sisters? 

Eternal salvation means your behavior / sin nature has been dealt with forever and that you will live in the new heaven-earth with Christ forever.

What we do or do not do while still here on earth is often dealt with by a very active God in our lives. He will take us to the woodshed when necessary with no loss of salvation even if it means he must take us out of this life...

1 Corinthians 5:5 (KJV)

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.