• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

I'd suggest that it is a metaphor. There is nothing in the Scriptures that teaches "spiritual death". Paul uses death as a metaphor to show his inability to be free of sin under the law.

Spiritual death is not a metaphor.  It is the state of all unbelievers.

I didn't say "spiritual death" was a metaphor, I said it doesn't exist. I said in Romans 7 Paul uses death as a metaphor.

Shiloh made an effort to begin the process of explaining that death has various applications but it was refused.  Paul spoke of this use of the word death in Romans 7.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Paul said that he died though he were yet physically alive.  Paul did not physically die yet he was dead.  This use of the word death must be considered a possibility in the spiritual sense when determining how to define death in a permanent sense would it not?

How does one refute this use of the word death by Paul?

I'd suggest that it is a metaphor. There is nothing in the Scriptures that teaches "spiritual death". Paul uses death as a metaphor to show his inability to be free of sin under the law.

By what standard do you conclude such?  

What, that Paul uses death as a metaphor or that the Scriptures don't teach of "spiritual death"?

There are a few passages of Scripture that are misunderstood and used to support that idea. However, the abundance of evidence from the Scriptures shows that eternal burning is not what the Scriptures teach.

Post 84. Judgment for sins is not ceasing to exist, and scripture clearly states that fire is in the "lake of fire".

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Shiloh made an effort to begin the process of explaining that death has various applications but it was refused.  Paul spoke of this use of the word death in Romans 7.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Paul said that he died though he were yet physically alive.  Paul did not physically die yet he was dead.  This use of the word death must be considered a possibility in the spiritual sense when determining how to define death in a permanent sense would it not?

What, that Paul uses death as a metaphor or that the Scriptures don't teach of "spiritual death"?

To determine that it was used as a metaphor.

It would seem that it is either literal of a figure of speech. Since Paul didn't literally die it only leaves the other option.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

It would seem that it is either literal of a figure of speech. Since Paul didn't literally die it only leaves the other option.

I am not seeking to reason out what it looks like but asking what your standard of determining when something is to be received one way or another is.  It would appear that your defaulting to basic human reasoning centered from ones personal perspective.  Would that be right?

There are a few passages of Scripture that are misunderstood and used to support that idea. However, the abundance of evidence from the Scriptures shows that eternal burning is not what the Scriptures teach.

Post 84. Judgment for sins is not ceasing to exist, and scripture clearly states that fire is in the "lake of fire".

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. The penalty for sin is death, death is the cessation of life. The Scriptures plainly state many times that man returns to the dust at death. I don't know of any place in the Scriptures where the penalty for sin is eternal burning. I see the penalty being death in both the Old and New Testaments.

Guest shiloh357

Spiritual death is not a metaphor.  It is the state of all unbelievers.

I didn't say "spiritual death" was a metaphor, I said it doesn't exist. I said in Romans 7 Paul uses death as a metaphor.

Spiritual death DOES exist.  Read Rom. 5:12-21.   Spiritual death came into the world through Adam.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1987

Nonbelievers will be judged for what they had done. JUDGED. Judgment isn't ceasing to exist. Hell is where they go to die spiritually but not physically. A worldly judge judges the person for their crimes. A godly judge (Jesus Christ) judges the person for their sins. After Jesus judges that person for their sins, he will say to you, "depart from me I never knew you". Because the irony is that at the end of the day, the person's sin of unbelief is what drags them to hell.

Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done.

JUDGEMENT is not the punishment, judgement  DETERMINES the punishment. The PUNISHMENT is to eventually cease to exist

If they were going to live eternally then they would have eternal life. God makes it clear that there is only one way to get that. Hell also cannot be eternal because eternal means no beginning and no end. Hell was CREATED, thus it is NOT eternal.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1987

Spiritual death DOES exist.  Read Rom. 5:12-21.   Spiritual death came into the world through Adam.

Natural death came into the world through Adam