• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

quote LookingForAnswers:  "I am no better than them, no Christian is."

That's not what I meant when I wrote:  "While YHWH hasn't given us a dictionary of words we shouldn't say;  if you are using your body and words to offer testimony and a witness to the transformative grace of Christ, your message will be lost, because no one will see how Christ makes you any different from or better than them."

Who here wants to be a better person?  I know I do.  I also want to be a better Christian than I was yesterday.  There are Christians that are better Christians than me.  They live by a standard I look up to and admire.  Haven't you heard the phrase:  "You're a better person than I am. . . ."  That's not intended to be insulting, you know;  though it may be used sarcastically, I suppose.

If you don't believe that Christ makes you a better person once you invite Him into your life, then why invite Him in?  What difference would it make to you, and most importantly how could it possibly convince someone to come to Christ if you are no different/better than them?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

quote shiloh:  "In context, Justin was not saying that we are more loved or are greater in God's eyes than sinners, but those who lives have been transformed by Christ and who live out that transformation, are better people than those still living in the mire of sin."

Thanks Shiloh.  On this subject, I think that LookingForAnswers was too quick to condemn my statement as being self righteous, when I wasn't trying to be.  Context is important, and clearly I was talking about how Christ transforms us into something different and better than we were before we invited Him into our lives.  And if no one sees the difference He's made in our conduct, then we cannot effectively witness to His transformative presence within us.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have used this example before. It really has nothing to do with me. Use it as a parable if you wish.

I walked into the local boat club bar one Friday night. It was full of locals drinking and having a good time. A woman's voice rang out above the crowd, "Stop swearing "Fez" is here".

I have never brought anyone in the club, or outside of it, to task for swearing in front of me, and when people do they usually say "excuse the language but..." Bless them!

My point is we are to be the light and the mirror that reflect Jesus back to people. We are not going to do that by using profanity in any form.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,342
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  4

God hears our EVERY Word that comes out of our mouth each and every day, and God made our mouth to speak nice words that will not only please God, but will also please others!!! If you start using Profanity, God isn't going to be proud of it!!! :( I don't really think that it is a sin unless you misuse the Name of God!!!

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

Would you use any of the words being discussed in front of your mother? Would you assign any of the meanings to your sister?

Scripture (it has been posted here), is clear on the subject.

Why would a Christian want to use profanity? To what end?

Scripture is not clear on the subject, as it does not give us a list of words that are acceptable and those that are not.  At best those words are decided upon by the culture and the society.   These things change with every generation, used to be that being gay had nothing to do with one's sexuality,  but that has changed.   Who are we to tell those of a different culture or generation they have to talk like us?  We do not talk like the generations before us.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Would you use any of the words being discussed in front of your mother? Would you assign any of the meanings to your sister?

Scripture is not clear on the subject, as it does not give us a list of words that are acceptable and those that are not.  At best those words are decided upon by the culture and the society.   These things change with every generation, used to be that being gay had nothing to do with one's sexuality,  but that has changed.   Who are we to tell those of a different culture or generation they have to talk like us?  We do not talk like the generations before us.

Scripture is extremely clear on the subject. you have been given many scriptures that point towards what comes out of your mouth, and heart. Would you care to discuss these?  

This is interesting.  LookingforAnswers do you think any words exist that are what scripture describes as filthy or profane; and if so should we avoid using them ?

I'm not sure how the word "gay" being used for homosexuality has any relevance upon profanity.   

Guest shiloh357

Scripture is very clear on the matter and is unambiguous  we are not to use profane language. It doesn't matter if the word was originally not a profane word.  It is a profane word NOW, and as such Christians are prohibited from using them.   

Guest shiloh357

Profanity is NEVER used to build up.  It is always used to tear people down.  It is considered boorish and uneducated to lace one's words with profanity.  It is prohibited in many places of employment.  We intuitively recognize profanity for what it is even in nonChristians contexts.