• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/28/1952

I am limited in how many hours I can hold up on a job, as well as many jobs I am willing to do end up requiring heavy lifting.  I have many, great office skills but those jobs are not opening up to me, not even an interview.

Are any of you struggling with being older, and having been out of work for some time (about 4 years for me) and I am 61 so I am too young to collect my SS.  I am facing possible homeless-ness and just wonder why God hasn't answered my need for an income.  I mean, I know His ways are higher, and I have not lost my faith in Him.  Guess I just hoped to hear some success stories (job wise) and maybe how you got through your rough time, what God did for you.  Or maybe you are in my spot and we can sort of encourage each other, thanks and God bless:)

I am all to familiar with your situation! I was unemployed for almost 2 years after being laid off from my last career due to outsourcing to China. Our entire industry went away . . . and no one would hire a former electronics worker after that. I got hung out to dry on my student loans too . . . I had to make a choice: survival or pay student loans. I chose survival back then, and would make the same choice today if I were forced into the same situation. I was also homeless during that time, and if you are single being homeless is nothing that cannot be survived. I didn't come back to the Lord until after being homeless for awhile.

I won't lie and say life is all peachy after returning to the Lord, but the drug addiction and a few other issues have gone away. My life hasn't gone very far from a human standpoint since then. I have no idea what the Lord is up to, and after 12 years my faith is getting a bit frayed around the edges to be totally honest. I'm grateful to have a place to stay, food, clothing, and all that but am still stuck in a dead end job with no apparent options for something better any time soon. Survival gets to be a drag after awhile especially when I still can't pay off my debts. It gets really hard to keep eyes on Jesus some days. Not trying to be a downer here, but this is the truth.

Thank you Walla, I am so sorry I didn't remember I had posted this, plus, I didn't have my notification options set right.  So I am way late answering all of you great brothers and sisters in Christ!

I appreciate you sharing so much, I was homeless once, I have student loans, I have health issues, but I am also coming to see glimpses of God and His wonderful work in my life.  I am trusting Him more now, but there are times, just like you, I get so tired and just want to go home with Him:)  There are sure a lot of Christ-loving folks here:) I thank God for this forum, denise, ysic

my heart goes out to you, I can't say I have ever faced something like this and hope I never do, but in life I have had some real hard stuff come my way....I do know troubles come to pass, not to stay.....And after you have done all you can do, just stand. God has a purpose and a plan for you. Meanwhile, to get your mind off  your troubles find a hobby or join a new activity, a chorus, a bird watching group or treat yourself to some lovely music or a book of poems, or walk up to a scenic hillside--anywhere you find beauty, and enjoy.

Thank you Desi:) As I mentioned to the others here, I forgot I even started this thread.  I had my notifies set wrong, and well, here I am finally answering you all, please forgive me.  I so love what you said, and guess what?  Today I took a wonderful, 2 mile walk, and God was with me, I cried a little, prayed a little, and just felt a lot better because God got me out there!!:)  God bless you Desi!! denise, a sister in Christ

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I've been out of work for six weeks (not very long) but I am beginning to realise how difficult it is to get a job. I'm no spring chicken either. Employers only seem to want young people.

I'm keen to work but you have to jump through hoops just to get an interview.

There are many people out there who say that if you don't work then you don't eat - but what happens if you want to work but nobody is interested in taking you on? Or, if you can't work because you're ill or old?

It's crazy!

I will pray for you as soon as I post this WW:)  I just realized I had started this thread and my notification was set wrong, so here I am, wayyyyyyy late, but sure glad I found all your responses!  He won't let us down WillowWood, I know He won't:) God bless you! Denise, ysic

Thank you

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

my heart goes out to you, I can't say I have ever faced something like this and hope I never do, but in life I have had some real hard stuff come my way....I do know troubles come to pass, not to stay.....And after you have done all you can do, just stand. God has a purpose and a plan for you. Meanwhile, to get your mind off  your troubles find a hobby or join a new activity, a chorus, a bird watching group or treat yourself to some lovely music or a book of poems, or walk up to a scenic hillside--anywhere you find beauty, and enjoy.

Thank you Desi:) As I mentioned to the others here, I forgot I even started this thread.  I had my notifies set wrong, and well, here I am finally answering you all, please forgive me.  I so love what you said, and guess what?  Today I took a wonderful, 2 mile walk, and God was with me, I cried a little, prayed a little, and just felt a lot better because God got me out there!! :)  God bless you Desi!! denise, a sister in Christ

That is wonderful denise, I am so glad you did something for yourself, it feels good to do that, to get your mind off of things, and what better place then outside on a walk with God. Nice to see God outside the trees, the sunshine, being refreshed in His presence. :emot-heartbeat:

desi

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

God is faithfull

I retired in 2012 but my wife wasn"t ready to and after a couple of months I got tired of solo domestic duties so I figured I better find an excuse so I started looking around. I applied for a position that would have been better suited for someone looking for a challenge then forgot about it. Couple months later and I'm at it.

We are in training and the Lord knows how to do it. I guess I still am on easy street perhaps you are further along and ready for the next hurtle.

God bless

I used to ask "why" some folks had it easier than I 2404, and that's the time I thought of when I read your part about "easy street" :)  On the things I really can't understand, I have learned to trust God's purposes, and not ask Him why.  There are things in this world that happen to others that I cannot begin to imagine how they make it through.  I whine about my "rather small" difficulties while others are fighting those really hard battles.  I've already (in my short time on this board) seen such faith, faith in the Lord that I want to have so much.  In fact I prayed for it this a.m.  I love that verse in the bible that says "help my unbelief"

Mark 9:24 ESV

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”

Also, I wanted to put the link to the devotion I read this a.m. that I know is always written "directly" to me, lol :thumbsup: I had never seen these verses the way I did this a.m.  I love ole, Ray Stedman's comments on it:

When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat? He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do. (John 6:5-6)

Here's the link to the devotional if anyone would like to read it: The Testing of Faith by Ray Stedman

The devotional was so right on, when I am faced with something difficult, the first things I think of are "worldly" ways to fix it, not spiritual, and heaven forbid I should ask God "first".  But He calls us (is trying to teach me through His Word) that I am literally to have my mind renewed, and to think and look at things differently than the natural man.  Oh God, I pray that same prayer, for me, as well as others Lord,

"Forgive me, Lord, for trying to meet the needs around me in my own strength. Teach me to offer up to you what little I have and trust that you will use it in miraculous ways." Ray Stedman (from Raystedman.org)

Thank you for your helpful reply 2404! May God bless your day! denise, your sister in Christ:)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,301
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Prayed.... Love, Steven

Oh you guys, God is just revealing so many things to me, I can say my cup is truly running over.  First I'll show you what I read just before posting.  The verses, and then the devo link if you want to read it as well.

John 6:22-40

Devotional by Ray Stedman

All of it hit me where I "live" so to speak:) but especially this opened my eyes, and I don't know how many times I've read it :26:

John 6:28-29

28 Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” (the version of the bible with Rays devo is another and it said "what must we do to do the work God requires" that one I understood a bit better, denise)

29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

I have struggled, even agonized with God to show me what I need to be doing, what is my gift, how could You use me, "will" You please show me God, show me what I need to be doing.  These verses told me, I guess it is God's timing, I mean "when" something finally gets through to me.  Believe in Jesus (Whom God has sent).  I get it!!  Maybe I have known it, at times, but I do forget.  It is so easy to get back into the worlds way of thinking.  Out there running in circles trying to make a name for myself, be somebody.  When all that is necessary is to believe on Christ, and to believe in Him is to obey what He has taught me.  When I am doing that, I am filled with God-confidence, no fear, and acceptance, no expectations except that God will never leave me, and He will provide what I need, and that is what I truly want, what I need, not what I think I am supposed to have to please this world and it's fallen state.

There is so much more to this, but so just one, more thing.  I am exactly like the people back then, they didn't "get" Who Jesus really was or why He came, yet. But they knew, just like I do, there is more to life then a full tummy and having all the bills paid.  I had that life, and was NEVER satisfied :noidea:  I know so many times it is "Dear Lord" please do this or that in my life, but oh yes, if it be your will.  But I realize after reading this, that my main focus needs to be believing and trusting in Him and His way (God's Way) the rest will come because if I believe in Jesus Word (s) then comes the obeying.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,301
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Oh you guys, God is just revealing so many things to me, I can say my cup is truly running over.  First I'll show you what I read just before posting.  The verses, and then the devo link if you want to read it as well.

All of it hit me where I "live" so to speak:) but especially this opened my eyes, and I don't know how many times I've read it :26:

28 Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” (the version of the bible with Rays devo is another and it said "what must we do to do the work God requires" that one I understood a bit better, denise)

29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

I have struggled, even agonized with God to show me what I need to be doing, what is my gift, how could You use me, "will" You please show me God, show me what I need to be doing.  These verses told me, I guess it is God's timing, I mean "when" something finally gets through to me.  Believe in Jesus (Whom God has sent).  I get it!!  Maybe I have known it, at times, but I do forget.  It is so easy to get back into the worlds way of thinking.  Out there running in circles trying to make a name for myself, be somebody.  When all that is necessary is to believe on Christ, and to believe in Him is to obey what He has taught me.  When I am doing that, I am filled with God-confidence, no fear, and acceptance, no expectations except that God will never leave me, and He will provide what I need, and that is what I truly want, what I need, not what I think I am supposed to have to please this world and it's fallen state.

There is so much more to this, but so just one, more thing.  I am exactly like the people back then, they didn't "get" Who Jesus really was or why He came, yet. But they knew, just like I do, there is more to life then a full tummy and having all the bills paid.  I had that life, and was NEVER satisfied :noidea:  I know so many times it is "Dear Lord" please do this or that in my life, but oh yes, if it be your will.  But I realize after reading this, that my main focus needs to be believing and trusting in Him and His way (God's Way) the rest will come because if I believe in Jesus Word (s) then comes the obeying.

It is written in summation of thought here

Col 3:1-4

3 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above,

where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on the things above,

not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have died and your life is hidden with

Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be

revealed with Him in glory.

NASU

Isa 26:6-9

6 The foot shall tread it down —

The feet of the poor

And the steps of the needy."

7 The way of the just is uprightness;

O Most Upright,

You weigh the path of the just.

8 Yes, in the way of Your judgments,

O Lord, we have waited for You;

The desire of our soul is for Your name

And for the remembrance of You.

9 With my soul I have desired You in the night,

Yes, by my spirit within me I will seek You early;

For when Your judgments are in the earth,

The inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

NKJV

Love, Steven

It is written in summation of thought here

Col 3:1-4

3 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above,

where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on the things above,

not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have died and your life is hidden with

Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be

revealed with Him in glory.

NASU

Isa 26:6-9

6 The foot shall tread it down —

The feet of the poor

And the steps of the needy."

7 The way of the just is uprightness;

O Most Upright,

You weigh the path of the just.

8 Yes, in the way of Your judgments,

O Lord, we have waited for You;

The desire of our soul is for Your name

And for the remembrance of You.

9 With my soul I have desired You in the night,

Yes, by my spirit within me I will seek You early;

For when Your judgments are in the earth,

The inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

NKJV

Love, Steven

Oh these were wonderful to read!  Fits right in, I love how the Word is all interlinked, thank you Steven, may God bless your day!! ysic, denise