GoldenEagle

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

My little sister listens to her radio and the music on her computer like, every day and I have to admit that all the noise from the music is sometimes annoying. Sometimes one just wants peace and quiet...

But that is what one gets from living with a great music lover.

Edited by Skillet1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AFlameOfFire

I still have and or use most of those lol

We still have a crt tv, and a landline, fax and printer. In fact I print off alot of my studies in case I might have to drop being online if or when the economy tanks.

Do you have cell phones too Flame?

Yeah we do bro, and pretty much for his work then for personal because I don't use it except between myself and my husband) but took us awhile to find one that worked because we are so rural. When we first moved here we had Nextel (wireless) but we couldn't get reception. That's a problem when your so rural. Same with my wireless device for the puter though, theres like one place in the house that gets decent reception on it too. I just like the thought of being able to dial out with no electric. I still like having a corded phone besides those plug in cordless ones. Especially when it come to financial transactions done over the phone. I am newer to wireless internet, I had just gotten off of dial up a few years ago whereas my friend Rose is still on dial up even now. She lives rurally as well. That plays in a bit I would think.

We still have a crt tv box antenna on our roof here you know... they look so attractive too don't they? lol

Guest shiloh357

To be honest, I have mused more than once over the that movie theatres (# 5) are still alive and kicking.  Between rentals and now Netflix and the astronomical cost of a ticket and snacks, I would have expected theatres to have gone the way of the old drive In theatres.

There's a theater by our house that has matinee movies for $3. Regular price is $3.25. We find that very reasonable. :thumbsup:

They should open up one of those around here.  The matinees we have are like around $7.    We used to have a $2 movie theatre that showed movies that were about year old.  Now it is up to $5.   

I think where really they get you is at the concessions.   The last time I was at a theatre (about 6 years ago), they had a Pepse vending mahcine and were asking $2.50 for a 20 oz bottle.  I figure I can go two hours without snacks, lol.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

1. Landline phones

I don't use the phone to talk on, but I do text.  As a family, we haven't had a land line for 5 or 6 years.

2. Personal printers

We use wireless, all-in-one printers, at home, at the church, and at the office.

3. Phone numbers

I think phone numbers will always be with us, covered up by the contact's name.  I couldn't tell you my husband's cell phone number - when he texts me, his name comes up on the display.

4. Hard drives

I think HDDs will always be around.  We strore tons of data on external drives - movies and TV shows mostly, as MKV files.  That much cloud storage would be way too costly.

5. Movie theaters

Agreed!  Most theatres are just nasty.  They're cold, smell bad, and the picture/sound is almost always better at home. 

6. Fax machines

What are those?  lol  We've been using digital signatures for years now.

7. CRT television sets

Check.

8. Optical disks

I haven't bought a CD or DVD in almost a decade.  With fast download speeds and streaming, who needs them? 

9. The PC’s mouse

I hope not. I do like my mouse.

10. Dedicated cameras

Check.

There should be a number 11:  Paper checks (cheques).  Does anybody still use them to pay bills?  We just abolished the check in our businesses (payroll) in favor of direct deposit.  The last check I wrote for personal reasons was in 2000, I think it was.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

To be honest, I have mused more than once over the that movie theatres (# 5) are still alive and kicking.  Between rentals and now Netflix and the astronomical cost of a ticket and snacks, I would have expected theatres to have gone the way of the old drive In theatres.

There's a theater by our house that has matinee movies for $3. Regular price is $3.25. We find that very reasonable. :thumbsup:

They should open up one of those around here.  The matinees we have are like around $7.    We used to have a $2 movie theatre that showed movies that were about year old.  Now it is up to $5.   

I think where really they get you is at the concessions.   The last time I was at a theatre (about 6 years ago), they had a Pepse vending mahcine and were asking $2.50 for a 20 oz bottle.  I figure I can go two hours without snacks, lol.

I read an article not so long ago that believe it or not said that movie theaters make more money from the concessions than they do from ticket sales. Basically it argued take away the popcorn and coke and the theater goes bust.

I refuse to pay the extortive prices and will take my own candy in if I feel like candy. My brother orders his soda without ice. He says that half of the soda is just expensive water....

I still like the occasional movie date with the wife though......

I haven't been to a theater in years primarily because of the expense. (Last time was for when Avatar came out. The 3D was expensive, but kinda neat.) One stunt I used to pull though was this: stop by the 99 Cent store on the way for muchies, then bring 'em in in a mostly empty back pack or messenger bag. No one ever said a thing, but then again this is Phoenix and it was in the summer, so people carrying water bottles or Camelbaks is normal here.

I don't mind someone making an honest profit, but the concession prices at most theaters is insane . . . or robbery without a gun. :whistling:

Thoughts? Do you agree with the 10 items listed above? Anything else you think will no longer be used in the near future?

God bless,

GE

Okay, I'll have a go at the list:

1. Landline phones - Needed for both communication and dial up internet in rural areas. Speaking as someone who has lived in these areas: Its slow, but cheap and effective for those not swimming in cash. I don't see it disappearing any time soon. Satellite internet is available in some areas, but is expensive and sometimes unreliable in bad weather. Cell phones don't always work in rural areas either.

2. Personal printers - Also not going away soon. Hard copy documents are still needed for some things. Legal documents are a good example. I still print out a file a few things for tax purposes, as another example. I don't use my laser printer nearly as much as I used to, but it still comes in handy at times. I have a couple of relatives who still use letters  . . . the mail is more reliable than the phone or internet where they are.

3. Phone numbers - Not sure about this one. The telephone has been around awhile, and I don't see them disappearing all that quickly.

4. Hard drives - Won't be going away until the SSD drives have larger capacity and are cheaper. SSD's can't match the price for a 1,2, or 3 TB hard disk right now, so again its going to be awhile before folks not swimming in cash upgrade their tech gear. (Especially given the poor economy at this time.)

5. Movie theaters - Not sure why these aren't gone, except for "date night" and so forth. I haven't been to one in a long time myself because of the high prices. Netflix is cheaper.

6. Fax machines - Are getting scarce, but probably won't go away soon. Too much need for signed documents in business, etc.

7. CRT television sets - Will be glad when these bite the dust, but they still work with a converter box on cable, or an antenna through a converter after the digital change over. Many are still in use, but I don't see them for sale new any longer . . . so they will probably slowly go extinct as the old units die off.

8. Optical disks - Still handy for backing up large amounts of data and as install media for older computers that can't boot from a flash drive. Almost every home PC sold has a CD/DVD drive in it, so they probably are not going anywhere for a bit.

9. The PC’s mouse - Gamers need mice. 'nuff said. :)

10. Dedicated cameras - Professionals and hobbyists will be good reasons these won't be going anywhere soon, but they might get more expensive if fewer of them are made. Cell phone cameras still are not all that great on some phones, and people still use their point-and-shoot cameras. They'll still be around as long as folks will buy them.

Guest AFlameOfFire

I don't even play games and I prefer the mouse, I just hate using that finger thingy majiggy, that drives me insane.

I cant see small letters to text so I cant text, its an old folks thing. I have never texted before either. If I was stranded on an island and the only way I could communicate was through text I wouldn't know how lol

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

There should be a number 11:  Paper checks (cheques).  Does anybody still use them to pay bills?  We just abolished the check in our businesses (payroll) in favor of direct deposit.  The last check I wrote for personal reasons was in 2000, I think it was.

my wife still does

Guest AFlameOfFire

LOL I still use paper checks too.

And because I have had incidents of them going into my account after cancelling them. More then quite a few. There are some incidents where I cant avoid it and I will let them auto remove from my account but seems like each time they keep taking money out.

For instance I canceled one of the forums I purchased, theres a monthly fee. I did it by hand and received the confirmation. But they are still removing money out of my account (now).

I changed my mind, and thought, well, Im glad its still open because a friend is there with me on it (and because I hate using email) to communicate, and I have said nothing. But it was cancelled.

It happens 50% of the time though.

I have a handful of things that are auto removed, and I like the convenience because who really enjoys writing checks? I don't, what a pain, but since that stealing out of my account after cancelling has happened and my bank is out of state it typically gives me more paperwork to cease it. I hate that worse