• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

I still disagree-to me there is only one type. there can only be one type-because there is only one Christ.

Friend, 'type' is the biblical term - consider Rom 5:14 for example when where Paul calls Adam a type, it appears to me that you confusing a 'type' with an 'antitype'.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I don't think some of you understand.  This is a term that is accepted, used and understood by more people than not and an opinion of the term does not factor in.

It does not matter what someone's opinion of the word is...it exists and is commonly used by those who study scripture. I don't think some understand ... 

At any rate, I guess the op must be wondering how on earth his topic can go off into the woodlands never to be seen again....second time this happens...at least object to something that

is anti-scriptural

So you didn't know about this expression before; does it hurt to learn something new?  No one here made it up....

Question: "What is biblical typology?"

Answer:
Typology is a special kind of symbolism. (A symbol is something which represents something else.) We can define a type as a “prophetic symbol” because all types are representations of something yet future. More specifically, a type in scripture is a person or thing in the Old Testament which foreshadows a person or thing in the New Testament. For example, the flood of Noah’s day (Genesis 6-7) is used as a type of baptism in1 Peter 3:20-21. The word for type that Peter uses is figure.

When we say that someone is a type of Christ, we are saying that a person in the Old Testament behaves in a way that corresponds to Jesus’ character or actions in the New Testament. When we say that something is “typical” of Christ, we are saying that an object or event in the Old Testament can be viewed as representative of some quality of Jesus.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/typology-Biblical.html#ixzz2qIG8jKEu

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/28/1952

Joseph is a type of Christ, in respect of two advents. (Gen 37:3 - 4.)

At his first advent Jesus was hated by the majority of the Jews, and they disposed of Him. (Gen 37:27 - 28, & Gen 37:36)

But look what happened, (Gen 41:40 - 42.)

And then, (Gen 41:29 - 30, & Gen 42:1-3.) 

But they did not recognise Joseph their brother, (Gen 42:6 & 8.)

But then, (Gen 45:3 to 8, &  Gen 45:13 - 15.)

Which is how it will be when Jesus returns to for the second advent

Bless you all.

Edwin..

I love finding all the comparisons to Christ in the OT.  I kept hearing over and over that it was crucial to read the OT in order to get a full understanding (and picture) of Christ.  I see why now that I read it daily, and sometimes I go in the new testament as well.  Like now, due to my devotional, I am studying John.  There is no other like God's Word;)

There is only one type of Christ and that is the son of God whom I serve.

All I am doing is drawing attention to Old Testament pictures of Him who was to come.

Yes, I understand this as the same thing happens to me as I read the OT.  Glimpses of Jesus, our Messiah to come.

Blessings paredwin

I understand what I think you are trying to say,that Joseph was dipicted as a foreshadow of Christ to come.......or a representation of the promised seed,of course we know there is only ONE JESUS.....but the Old Testament indeed proclaims the eager anticipation of the Messiahs arrival & speaks of Him throughout ,just as Jesus explained to the men as they  walked together down the road after He was risen from the dead................How beautiful it must have been to have Jesus take them through the Scriptures.......Praise Jesus!!!!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Yes, this is what I saw when I read Edwin's post:)  And it's so true, I'm amazed by all the little glimpses of our Messiah in the OT, and not that Joseph, Moses or anyone else "was" Jesus at all, you are right, there is only ONE Jesus;)  and yes PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME:) denise, a sister in Christ

OK, you guys are confusing me. I've heard of "types of Christ" for decades in sermons and such. (http://www.bible-topics.com/Types-of-Christ.html)

Why is there suddenly a problem with this word "type"?

I think for me, I need to pray before I answer or post here, just as I need to in real life.  I am to show love to others, and in doing so, I need to let God show me what they are saying.  I've seen many christians, including myself be hammered for using one, wrong word when I didn't mean what they thought at all.  I am not perfect and I am not some meticulous, studious person, I am average at best, I make lots of mistakes.  But I just would rather give someone the benefit of the doubt especially in online forums.  And if there is correction needed then I am to do that with love to, or if I question what they post, ask it in a loving manner.  God bless, Denise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Denise,

LOL,I know exactly what you mean & I call them the "Bible Police".,I believe they  do mean well but sometimes the pettiness/nit picking is just silly ...I do hope no one here thinks I am insinuating it is them I am referring to because it is not ,I think y'all know me well enough to know I never insinuate & always address any individuals personally.......like Pat for example,he said  "for himself"he does not like to say "type " of Christ & does understand the OP........we are a wonderful,loving family of believers & praise be to God the majority speaks to one another with love& understannding-IMO!!!!!!

Sister neb.....I don't think anybody really has a problem wi9th the word "type"....I really prefer to say Christ-Like or foreshadow but I knew exactly what paredwin meant & had no problem with his choice of the word.....you too,right?

Praise & Glory to God,I love when we talk & reason together...I so dislike debate.......I love it when you said everyone is driving you nuts(we are supposed to be able to tell each other that-LOL!!!!!

I love y'all-Kwik

Thank you to all of you who have responded.

Could this one, I wonder be yet another type of Christ?

Subject: Jephthah's daughter.

Jdg 11:30   And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD, and said, "If You will indeed deliver the people of Ammon into my hands,

Jdg 11:31   "then it will be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the people of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering."

Jdg 11:32   So Jephthah advanced toward the people of Ammon to fight against them, and the LORD delivered them into his hands.

Jdg 11:33   And he defeated them from Aroer as far as Minnith--twenty cities--and to Abel Keramim,[fn1] with a very great slaughter. Thus the people of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.

Jdg 11:34   When Jephthah came to his house at Mizpah, there was his daughter, coming out to meet him with timbrels and dancing; and she was his only child. Besides her he had neither son nor daughter.

Jdg 11:35   And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he tore his clothes, and said, "Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low! You are among those who trouble me! For I have given my word to the LORD, and I cannot go back on it."

Jdg 11:36   So she said to him, "My father, if you have given your word to the LORD, do to me according to what has gone out of your mouth, because the LORD has avenged you of your enemies, the people of Ammon."

Jdg 11:37   Then she said to her father, "Let this thing be done for me: let me alone for two months, that I may go and wander on the mountains and bewail my virginity, my friends and I."

Jdg 11:38   So he said, "Go." And he sent her away for two months; and she went with her friends, and bewailed her virginity on the mountains.

Jdg 11:39   And it was so at the end of two months that she returned to her father, and he carried out his vow with her which he had vowed. She knew no man. And it became a custom in Israel

Jdg 11:40   that the daughters of Israel went four days each year to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite.

Here we have, "female", type of Christ.

Firstly she is a firstborn, secondly she is a virgin, (a sign of purity, and holy ness), thirdly the expression, "two months", appears, "three times", and three draws our attention to the, "Trinity", and, "two", speaks of the second person of the Trinity.  This young girl who's name is not revealed in the above passage is prepared to lay down her life in order to save her father from the consequences of breaking his vow to the LORD. 

Every blessing.

Edwin. 

this one is interesting too, although there was one time I recall that I think the "teaching" was to show that we be careful what we vow to the Lord.  As I type this though, I am just not sure these are the verses I was thinking of.  Lately I've been reading about the building of the temple, Aaron and his sons in the priest-hood etc. in Leviticus  Also, what I studied before that in Exodus about God's instructions, then in Leviticus they are carried out, I think I have that right.

Anyway, it was amazing to learn how the tabernacle, alters, sacrifice all related to Jesus.  All the bible is interlinked, or I am finding it so for myself.  I had heard it before, but now I am reading every word of it myself.  I can't believe all the years I went with just listening to others teach, or doing biblestudies where it would just be parts of the Word here and there:) a sister in Christ, Denise

PS yes, I see the comparisons in these verses as well Edwin:)  You are finding so many treasures, real treasure!!

I found all these, and they all point to Christ.  I have recently read Genesis & Exodus, and I had (before that) read Joshua through 1 Kings.  So many of these are familiar to me, and part of what was so amazing to me.  I had never known how much the OT had to do with Christ.  I know that sounds pretty ignorant, but it is true, I had just never read it myself (with the help of the Holy Spirit that is:)  Oh, these are from Adrian Rodgers site, Love Worth Finding

• Christ is the Seed of woman and in Genesis 3:15 we are told He will one day crush Satan.
  • In Exodus we find the story of the Passover Lamb, and Christ is the sacrificial Lamb given for us.
  • In Leviticus we read of the high priests making sacrifices for the people, and Christ has become our High Priest, making the perfect sacrifice to atone for our sins.
  • In Deuteronomy Moses prophesied of a prophet who would come that would be greater than Himself. Jesus is that Great Prophet.
  • In the book of Joshua, Joshua met the Captain of the Lord's host. That man is Jesus Christ.
  • The judges were leaders who delivered God's people, each of them typify­ing the Lord Jesus.
  • Boaz, the kinsman who redeemed Ruth's inheritance, is a picture of Christ.
  • David, the anointed one, pictures Jesus and Jesus is described as being the Son of David.
  • In 2 Samuel when the king is being enthroned, the entire scene is descriptive of the Lord Jesus.
  • The books of Kings speak of the glory of God filling the temple and the Chronicles describe the glorious coming king, both referring to Jesus, the King of Kings.
  • Ezra depicts Jesus as the Lord of our fathers.
  • Job says clearly that the Redeemer is coming!
  • Esther offers a picture of Christ interceding for His people.
  • Christ appears time after time in the Psalms, including when David describes Him as “the Shepherd.”
  • Isaiah details His glorious birth.
  • Jeremiah reveals that He will be acquainted with sorrows.
  • Joel describes Him as the Hope of His people.
  • Amos tells us that Jesus is the judge of all nations.
  • Obadiah warns of the coming eternal kingdom.
  • Jonah offers a picture of Jesus being dead for three days, then coming back to life to preach repentance.
  • Zephaniah says that He will be the king over Israel.
  • Zachariah is the prophet who speaks of Jesus riding on a colt.
  • Malachi is the one who calls Him the Son of Righteousness.

Blessings Denise,

LOL,I know exactly what you mean & I call them the "Bible Police".,I believe they  do mean well but sometimes the pettiness/nit picking is just silly ...I do hope no one here thinks I am insinuating it is them I am referring to because it is not ,I think y'all know me well enough to know I never insinuate & always address any individuals personally.......like Pat for example,he said  "for himself"he does not like to say "type " of Christ & does understand the OP........we are a wonderful,loving family of believers & praise be to God the majority speaks to one another with love& understannding-IMO!!!!!!

Sister neb.....I don't think anybody really has a problem wi9th the word "type"....I really prefer to say Christ-Like or foreshadow but I knew exactly what paredwin meant & had no problem with his choice of the word.....you too,right?

Praise & Glory to God,I love when we talk & reason together...I so dislike debate.......I love it when you said everyone is driving you nuts(we are supposed to be able to tell each other that-LOL!!!!!

I love y'all-Kwik

Hi Philly:)  the bible-police, Lord please help me, because again, I will mess up a lot I'm sure as I try to share God's Word;)  I just read how different things in the OT "typify" Jesus, this was in a commentary by one of my fave pastors.  I think it is all in how we see the word, and "as" it is used;)