• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/27/1984

As an apologist, one of the things i hear a lot when I debate atheists is there is no evidence for the miracles.  There is no extra-biblical evidence, written about any of the things Jesus said or did.  But one thing I like to point to is the three hours of darkness that proceeded Christ's death on the cross.  3 of the 4 gospels write about it:

Matthew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.

Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

Luke 23:44-48 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
47 Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.
48 And all the people that came together to that sight, beholding the things which were done, smote their breasts, and returned.

How is this a miracle?

1) It wasn't an eclipse.  The crucifixion took place during the Passover.  Passover happens during a full moon.  Eclipses only happen when there's a new moon.  A new moon is when the moon is between the earth and the sun, so there is no reflection of light.  A full moon occurs when the moon is on the opposite end of the earth, fully reflecting the sun's light.  So being that it was a full moon during the Passover at the crucifixion, the darkness could not have been an eclipse.

2) It lasted for three hours.  Eclipses happen for only a few minutes. 

3) It was prophecied Amos 8:9 where it says: “And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day.”

4)  There are extra-biblical sources:

This is one of many sites that lists the extra-biblical sources: http://daybydaywithjesus.com/three-hour-period-of-darkness-at-the-crucifixion/

What do you think of this phenomenon?

Edited by anthonyjmcgirr

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

considering what I personally know about my God I would have to say that it's really no big deal...

Guest shiloh357

As an apologist, one of the things i hear a lot when I debate atheists is there is no evidence for the miracles.  There is no extra-biblical evidence, written about any of the things Jesus said or did.  But one thing I like to point to is the three hours of darkness that proceeded Christ's death on the cross.  3 of the 4 gospels write about it:

Matthew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.

Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

Luke 23:44-48 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.

45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.

46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

47 Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.

48 And all the people that came together to that sight, beholding the things which were done, smote their breasts, and returned.

How is this a miracle?

1) It wasn't an eclipse.  The crucifixion took place during the Passover.  Passover happens during a full moon.  Eclipses only happen when there's a new moon.  A new moon is when the moon is between the earth and the sun, so there is no reflection of light.  A full moon occurs when the moon is on the opposite end of the earth, fully reflecting the sun's light.  So being that it was a full moon during the Passover at the crucifixion, the darkness could not have been an eclipse.

2) It lasted for three hours.  Eclipses happen for only a few minutes. 

3) It was prophecied Amos 8:9 where it says: “And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day.”

4)  There are extra-biblical sources:

This is one of many sites that lists the extra-biblical sources: http://daybydaywithjesus.com/three-hour-period-of-darkness-at-the-crucifixion/

What do you think of this phenomenon?

That is an amazing and oft overlooked detail about the crucifixion of Jesus.  Something we need to be reminded of. 

I understand that to God it's 'no big deal'.  My point is that it is really the only miracle that is actually provable with historical evidence.  People can even dispute Christ ever existed and they wonder where all the extra-biblical evidence is (I believe there's a lot, some think there's none.)  Even more people believe Jesus lived, but He was nothing more than a good man with nice sayings.  But here we are with actual proof of a supernatural event that was historically recorded by biblical and extra-biblical sources and CANNOT in any way be explained by science. 

I think I would want to know more about the darkness.  It is intriguing to ponder the possibilities.   Tertullian back in the second century says it was a global thing and not just local.  I don't remember why he said that..  but if it was true then it had to be a cosmic event, not just heavy clouds or a storm.    almost like Creation itself just couldn't watch..

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

considering what I personally know about my God I would have to say that it's really no big deal...

Amen! if God can speak this whole world into existence in just six days this is no problem for Him! 

Yeah I would love to know what it was as well.  And to happen right at the moment of Christ's death and an earthquake that ripped the veil in two.  Amazing stuff happened. 

Yeah I would love to know what it was as well.  And to happen right at the moment of Christ's death and an earthquake that ripped the veil in two.  Amazing stuff happened. 

I'm not sure the earthquake ripped it.....    that veil took something supernatural to tear apart like that.    It's my understanding that the thing is/was three feet thick....

Oh yeah I think God personally ripped it in half.  I can just imagine the horror on the Pharisee's faces.