He gives me silence when I mention God

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I started a relationship with God last year and it's been life-changing, an interesting journey... My close friend (a guy) always goes silent when I mention God. He believes in God, but isn't a church-goer... I have never tried to change him - I understand that is God's job, His work... But I do feel compelled to share my journey, my thoughts on God and my experiences... But each time I do I get the silent treatment - as if he hates God or me or something I am trying to understand...

Yesterday I sent him a voice note where I read 1 Corinthians 13 in honour of Valentines Day and boom! Today I'm getting the silent treatment.

My walk with God is exciting and filled with many Moments I want to share, I just can't understand why he doesn't like me mentioning God.., should I stop talking about God or mentioning anything God related? God comes first in my life, so this pains me... Your thoughts would be appreciated....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

He may not be who God has chosen for you. God has someone special for you - someone who loves the Lord as you do - wait. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  3

Sunflower,

You have a relationship with the Lord. You love the Lord. Therefore, He is the most important person in your life, even though He is physically unseen. This does not make sense to people who do not believe. It makes them often uncomfortable.

You did not mention if your friend professes to believe in Christ.

If he does, then his behavior contradicts this, as all true Christians LOVE to talk about Jesus! If he is not a Christian, then your job is to show Christ to him through your words and actions. However, you must be careful how close you get to him, or to lead him on romantically, because darkness and light cannot fellowship together. You can surely be a witness and light to him, but you cannot have a binding relationship with an unbeliever. I can give you scripture refs if you need, but I suspect you may already know what I am talking about

BTW I am raising or have raised 7 teenagers, and have been a youth leader, so I have seen many times how this works. Please be careful! 

• Content Count:  22
  • Birthday:  03/07/1973

I know a person just like that. People like that like themselves they way they are now. They are affraid that coming close to God will change them so they put God into "safe deposit box" of their minds and try not to think about Him. Do not worry. He did not "throw away", reject God. Once you, I, and others like us will be "cut up" he is going to have major wake up call and a second chance to be saved. The hard way.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/04/1986

I've never been compelled to force Jesus on a loved one (family or friend) before, but that doesn't stop me from mentioning how he works in my life on a frequent basis. Even the mention of Christ or God in a sentence can spark a person's interest, thoughts, or curiosity to get the wheels of the mind spinning about how they need Christ in their life and how he's there even when we don't know/see Him.

Just because he doesn't say anything, doesn't mean he's not thinking. Let him know that your new faith in Christ is important to you. It's the reason we're on this Earth and the ultimate journey for our Salvation. A true friend will want to listen to you, talk to you, hear what's on your mind and what's important in your life. I believe God' puts people in our paths so that we don't give up on them and can witness to them, no matter how tough it may seem.

I've never been compelled to force Jesus on a loved one (family or friend) before, but that doesn't stop me from mentioning how he works in my life on a frequent basis. Even the mention of Christ or God in a sentence can spark a person's interest, thoughts, or curiosity to get the wheels of the mind spinning about how they need Christ in their life and how he's there even when we don't know/see Him.

Just because he doesn't say anything, doesn't mean he's not thinking. Let him know that your new faith in Christ is important to you. It's the reason we're on this Earth and the ultimate journey for our Salvation. A true friend will want to listen to you, talk to you, hear what's on your mind and what's important in your life. I believe God' puts people in our paths so that we don't give up on them and can witness to them, no matter how tough it may seem.

This!! --> Just because he doesn't say anything, doesn't mean he's not thinking.

I certainly needed to read this. I definitely think he is pondering... He is a thinker, and definitely the things I say is food for much thought as he sees the change in me.

Seriously, not too long ago I was shamelessly bashing God! I even have letters I've written my friend telling him how irritated I was when I felt God was pursuing me... Another thought: there was an occasion where I told him I really needed prayer, and he confidently told me he would pray for me... It may be that my change and my journey has him thinking... Men do the cave thing right?

Well yesterday he broke the silence and one of the first things he said was that he seriously loves me. That spoke volumes as he doesn't say things he doesn't feel at the time... I think that I'm on the right path.

Discussing this in this forum has helped me unpack my jumbled thoughts regarding this... But the one thing that came to mind is that things are seldom what they seem. Still praising him in his brokenness and letting him know I care is what he needs. I see him as already transformed. God knows his heart.

Infact it's a lesson for most. We shouldn't shun or rebuke those who are walking in darkness: we should show them love and understanding, see the good in them, see them as God does. Too many Christians are NOT practicing this. No wonder some people fear a walk with God! The people who helped me find God showed me such compassion and understanding, I can't be any different to others who need God in their lives...

Anyway... Done blahing I hope everybody is having a blessed Monday!

He may not be who God has chosen for you. God has someone special for you - someone who loves the Lord as you do - wait.

Thank you... I am trusting God and being obedient. He is guiding me step by step.

If he is not the one God has chosen for me, then surely I am the one God has chosen to bring some light into his life. I will share my learnings as I go along this journey...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I would not pressure him with it because it will seriously annoy him and you might lose someone you really appreciate. I talk with experience because my mum is always going on and on about God and religion. I love God, but I cannot stand having these conversations with her because she is not a living example of what she preaches...so it just gets on my nerves.

But then again I'm on the other side too because my boyfriend is an atheist. I often talk about God or share my point of view but then he states his too and I get hurt as well. BUT one day, I was able to make a prayer with him and I think we also prayed together with my family. I can't really explain why he got into it, maybe because he loves me and accept that that's who I am too.

Maybe just pray. Don't get too pushy with your friend too. Maybe talk about God once a month or something rather than every week. Also act with lots of love towards him, like you are doing this for him not so you can share your view, or belief, or because you think God is so great, or because you want to 'convert' him. Always think of him first. That's how I've put it I think when I prayed with my boyfriend. I was leaving for the holidays and I wanted to have this moment with him and God to pray so God will keep us safe while we are apart.

@Rakael, thank you for your thoughts. That's exactly how I feel: I don't want to pressure him at all, and just want to focus on the good in him... I fully understand your sentiments re your mom's way lol. Its how my mom was :) and it drove me further from God, whilst my Gran (who was born again) never judged or 'preached' to me, she only encouraged. Again, thank you. Stay blessed!