• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Dear Botz,

I thought your post was brilliant. It's going to be printed off to go in my World History Study.

You see, you are the online teacher,afterall! :thumbsup: LOL!

Yomo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hubertdorm

Going back to the original post

Everytime I put "eye salve" and Jesus together I recall the time he spit and made mud to place on the blind man's eye. Then he could see again.

Edited by traveller

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

To cap it all ...from the hot springs they obtained an ointment that was reknowned throughout the whole civilized world..it was known as Collyrium and used as a Phygian eye-salve. This in turn was produced in the temple of their favorite god Aesculapius who was a counterfeit of the Messiah and known as 'The Great Physician.'

In summary the Laodiceans have been given a directive from which they are prophetically reminded by everything their life revolves around on a daily basis...they cannot escape this word...and when we see the lengths to which the L-rd has gone to re-establish these people in righteousness though such a powerful and yet loving admonition....it is pretty humbling and just another awesome example of the touch of the Holy Ghost.

This was mentioned in detail by one of the members in our home study. Her Bible had commentary on it. We discussed the fact that they truly did believe they had it all..........but the very things/materialism they loved, was keeping them blind from Truth.

Sounds familiar to me. We think we have so much. Even within the Christian merchandising, we think we have so much to help us see, 40 Days, Prayer of Jabez, etc......yet we are still blind to Truth, as a church.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

See Botz, I can see better today. Yes, it IS relevant.

:)

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Thats great Suzanne...thanks.

And thanks for your comments Yomo.

The main thing is that we all benefit from the word of G-d and hear and understand what is being said and whether we need to do anything about the things we hear...being Doers of the Word...lets encourage each other to good works.

Sometimes we must be like Mary because the word of G-d does not have an apparent application...or our understanding is somewhat diminished...but if we bear these things in our hearts the Holy Ghost can release the truth at a later date.

Luke 2:19 But Mary kept all these sayings, pondering them in her heart.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest colonialpresident

:wub: I will never forget a sermon that my awesome pastor preached about ten years ago. When I am down it gives me strength and when I see problems with the way other brethren act in my church it helps me to reflect on his words.

He preached on the Laodicea church and used various other scriptures such as when the worshippers were still worshiping at the temple where the ark of the covenant was not. These people carried on worshipping and offerings even though the glory of God was not there anymore. David set the Ark of the covenant up under a tent and he set up people to do certain things and for music to be played all for the worship of God. So, while there was one "church" doing one thing without the glory of God, there was the other church who sought out his glory and worshipped the Lord. When one of the bearers of the ark reached out one day and touched the Ark so that it wouldn't fall he was killed instantly. People were upset and left the Ark at a man's house for a space of time before they went back to get it. That man and his entire house was blessed greatly. While the others were bewildered. My favorite part was his use of a wheel in the middle of a wheel. Therefore firmly placing the foundation by which I understand the different types of commitments within a church. His point was don't get discouraged just because you see a brother do something you think is not right or someone discourages you. There is a Laodicea church in the middle of a Philadelphia church. There is a wheel in the middle of a wheel. There maybe those who wear sheeps clothing, but who are not true brethren, but God is always in control and we should put all our trust and faith in him.. I hope this wasn't out on a tangent and I will look up the scriptures that he used tonight and post them later.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Interesting thoughts CP...Hi by the way and welcome to Worthy.

I think the point you are hinting at is very relevant and that within any body of Believers we can see aspects of the 7 Churches alive and kicking...and even in our individual walk with G-d ...we have periods where we probably display more of the bad traits than the good ones.

The Holy Spirit is doing a mighty work in each one of us and constantly challenging our motives and our vision...and always seeking to bring our desires in line with the heart of G-d so that we might truely be Holy as He is Holy.

Lets be those that encourage one another to good works...and when we see some of the less savoury traits developing...lets be open and honest with each other and not try to hide in the dark but rather come to the light and expose sin and weakness so that it might be forgiven and we might be changed...that is the whole point of the Bible not pulling any punches and not glossing over sin and imperfection...it is a real history of a real people and a real G-d who loves us.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

This is a very interesting topic, with interesting posts. The historic context gives depth of meaning. A few Scriptures come to mind in pondering this........

I think of the rich man who met Jesus. Jesus invited the rich man to "follow Me"...but the rich man did not want to have to part with his riches. This appears to have been a "knock on the door" of the rich man's heart. Seems thought provoking, and relevant in our rich society, and how we work toward our creature comforts. And relevant in many American Churches that preach health, wealth, and prosperity.....at the expense of repentance and surrender. (Laodicia had all these things: health=eye salve, wealth=didn't need Rome's money to re-build after the earthquake, prosperity="black" wool kept the cash flow happening.

Maybe wealth is the most powerful way to lead people away from the Lord. It separates us even further, because we are "blinded" to any need of the Lord. And subtle, that we can become very self-sufficient.

I think of Job; an inspiration.... that he was a righteous man DESPITE his wealth. As Job suffered, he also repented, and prayed for his friends (that spiritually abandoned him)....and Job's dependence and focus on the Lord grew. It is very striking what Job said: 42: 5 I have heard of Thee by the hearing of the ear: but now MY EYE SEETH THEE.

Peter speaks of rejoicing in our suffering. It refines the gold in the fire.....burning away all impurities. Other similar picture words come to mind.....separating the chaff from the wheat, and separating the goats from the sheep. This could be applied to an individual's heart in their walk with the Lord, or collectively in the Church.

Let us pray for repentance. And that we surrender our hearts, minds, bodies, and souls to the Lord. Amen

dotcom

Guest colonialpresident
Interesting thoughts CP...Hi by the way and welcome to Worthy.

I think the point you are hinting at is very relevant and that within any body of Believers we can see aspects of the 7 Churches alive and kicking...and even in our individual walk with G-d ...we have periods where we probably display more of the bad traits than the good ones.

The Holy Spirit is doing a mighty work in each one of us and constantly challenging our motives and our vision...and always seeking to bring our desires in line with the heart of G-d so that we might truely be Holy as He is Holy.

Lets be those that encourage one another to good works...and when we see some of the less savoury traits developing...lets be open and honest with each other and not try to hide in the dark but rather come to the light and expose sin and weakness so that it might be forgiven and we might be changed...that is the whole point of the Bible not pulling any punches and not glossing over sin and imperfection...it is a real history of a real people and a real G-d who loves us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

James 5:16 - Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

James 5:19 - Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

1 John 2:1 - My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Peter I- ch5

6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. :thumbsup:

10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. 11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. :o

And thank you for welcoming me in to worthyboards

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hi again Suzanne and y'all,

Re: the white robe question........earlier on the post it was referenced that white robes were given to the martyrs........which is true.......and suggested that we should be willing to die for the Lord.......which I cannot disagree......

But there might be more to the white robes........

When Jesus spoke to the Church of Sardis He said Rev 3: 4. " You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. 5. He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments., and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life....."

From what I understand about Sardis, they weren't suffering persecution (or martyrdom) as in some Churches......or wasn't particularly a hotbed of pagan influence. Sardis sounds like a Church that lost steam......and became indifferent or apathetic. (Jesus called them dead) I'm under the impression they became "carnal Christians", shall we say in polite terms. Again it has a ring of familiarity in todays world.

Although it reads like Laodacea was much farther gone than Sardis, it may only be a call to the Laodaceans to be "overcomers" and repent ..... to be given the White Robe of the Lord..............

God Bless You.......dotcom