IGNORED

The Church of Laodicea

tsth

Guest CheerfulHeart

To the original poster-- you asked about the gold and the refining fire, along with white garments.

We have a Pastor at our church (and he also teaches at a Christian college) who has been earnestly studying the Bible, every day for 20 years. He reads it front to back and studies it's every mystery. The book of Revelation is his area of speciality though. He teaches college courses on Revelation and is currently preaching to the congregation on this very subject. (but only two services, so bare with me.)

What I recall him saying was that all of our works will be tested and tried by fire. Only those works with pure motives will make and come out on the other in as either gold, silver and something else. Those works that we've done with other motives other than for the sake of God shall burn up and be gone. So there is your refining fire and a little look at the gold. As for the thought that this gold could be salvation... I don't think so. Only because by that time if you were not saved you would have heard *depart from me....* (I have very little education in this book, so these are only opinions and not facts... please keep that in mind.)

As for the white garments... some believe that as the rapture occurs we will be called up to meet Jesus and be in white garments. Our teacher made comments on this too, but I'm not clear enough on it to repeat it. (In fear that I might cause confusion, or cause some one to stumble.)

I hope that this has been some what helpful, or if nothing else has encouraged us to do more studying of our own.

May God give you a heart to decern all the meanings to the questions you have!

Giving God the Glory with Thanksgiving in our hearts,

Julia

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

What is of interest to me is the following verse where Jesus is saying,"Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone will open the door I will come in and sup with him and he with me."

I have heard messages throughout my life time that use this verse to apply to sinners. I have done the same myself.

The context is that Jesus is on the outside of the Laodocean door wanting to be let in!

Brings to mind an earlier post that referred to folks worshipping at the temple where the ark was no more.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Dear nagwalk,

Did you read my opening post of this thread? I too questioned why that passage is used in the context that it is? The reality is, it applies to a delusional church, who has left the Lord Jesus out now, and He knocks to re-enter the church.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Dear cheerful,

Thank you for your posting here. I wonder though, if we study the Word and the usage of the word gold, what would we find? I do agree that our works will be tested to prove. But I think that the gold spoken of in Rev. goes even further than that and is more than just about our works being proved. As the whole of the passages are speaking of the difference between those truly saved and those truly lost. It has something to do with the distinctions.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Revelation 3:17,18 Jesus said, "Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see".

The above verses could be an example of the carnal mind, contrasted with Jesus telling us to be spiritually minded.

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. (Romans 8:7).

What a difference there was between the thoughts they had of themselves and the thoughts that Christ had of them. The high thoughts they had of themselves; ...rich, and growing richer, and increased to such a degree as to be above all want or possibility of wanting. Perhaps they were well provided for as to their bodies, and this made them overlook the necessities of their souls. Or they thought themselves well furnished in their souls; they had learning, and they took it for religion; they had gifts, and they took them for grace; they had wit, and they took it for true wisdom; they had ordinances, and they took up with them instead of the God of ordinances. How careful should we be not to put the cheat upon our own souls! Doubtless there are many in hell that once thought themselves to be in the way to heaven. Let us daily beg of God that we may not be left to flatter and deceive ourselves in the concerns of our souls.

The mean thoughts that Christ had of them; and He was not mistaken. He knew, though they knew not, that they were wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked. Their state was wretched in itself, and such as called for pity and compassion from others; though they were proud of themselves, they were pitied by all who knew their case...

We have good counsel given by Christ to this sinful people, and that is they drop their vain and false opinion they had of themselves, and endeavour to be that really which they would seem to be: I counsel thee to buy of Me, ... Our Lord continues to give good counsel to those who have cast his counsels behind their backs... Our blessed Lord , the counsellor, always gives the best advice, and that which is most suitable to the sinner's case... He lets them know where they might have true riches and how they might have them... He invites them to Himself, the pearl of price....

Part with sin and self-sufficiency, and come to Christ with a sense of poverty and emptiness, that you may be filled with His hidden treasure...

These people were naked; Christ tells them... to put off their filthy rags that they might put on the white raiment which He had purchased and provided for them-- His own imputed righteousness for justification and the garments of holiness and sanctification.

They were blind; He counsels them ... to give up their own wisdom and reason, which are but blindness in the things of God, and resign themselves to His word and Spirit, and their eyes shall be opened to see their way and their end, their duty and their true interest; a new and glorious scene would then open itself to their souls; a new world furnished with the most beautiful and excellent objects, and light would be marvellous to those who were but just now delivered from the powers of darkness. This is the wise and good counsel Christ gives to careless souls; and, if they follow it, He will judge Himself bound in honour to make it effectual. (Matthew Henry Commentary).

As it is with all Scripture, we should check ourself to see how we line up with His word.

Guest CheerfulHeart
Dear cheerful,

Thank you for your posting here.  I wonder though, if we study the Word and the usage of the word gold, what would we find?  I do agree that our works will be tested to prove.  But I think that the gold spoken of in Rev. goes even further than that and is more than just about our works being proved.  As the whole of the passages are speaking of the difference between those truly saved and those truly lost.  It has something to do with the distinctions.

In His Love,

Suzanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Suzanne. I'm very new to Worthy so it took me a little while to find my way back to this post.

Personally, I am not positive of the meaning of gold in that context. But, I will re-read it myself, pray, and seek out some of the elders in my church that have far more experience and understanding of this than I do. :emot-highfive:

I love the book of Rev. but don't have a grasp on it's every meaning. Oh how I long to though.

Till we chat again... may God Bless and comfort you in every way.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  09/16/1955

Revelation 3:17,18 Jesus said, "Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see".

The Gold tried in the fire seams to indicate to me that this is speaking of faith in his word, because what else will give you white raiment, only the blood can wash away sin, and since we are saved by grace through faith, we need to know how to receive faith, faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God, and how shall they hear without a Preacher, God set up the structure of the Church, Christ is the head, but he gave Pastors to feed the flock, but without faith you cannot please God, without faith your raiment will not be white, without faith you cannot anoint your eyes with eyesalve, faith is the access to salvation.

And even though every mans work will be tested by fire, the foundation is still Christ, and if the mans evil works (wood, hay, stubble) be burned up he will no less be saved, if he is a believer.

1 Corinthians|3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians|3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

1 Corinthians|3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

1 Corinthians|3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

1 Corinthians|3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Romans|10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans|10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Romans|10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Romans|10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Romans|10:17 So then faith

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Suzanne,

Good topic and just what is needed. This is a startling message, it is a promise, that all luke warm christians will be vomited out of God's mouth, rejected because they make him sick. I believe the it applies to all the churches today. It seems that only those who zealously repent will be accepted by God.

You might check out In Spirit and in Truth for more input on the Gold, white raiment and eye salve.

Love in Christ

Dennis

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  09/16/1955

What do these verses in 1John 1:8 -1:10 and 2:1-2:2 communicate to you? If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and if we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, because he said all have sinned.

This is similar to when the Jews took sacrifices to atone for sin, as the law required. We also can approach the throne of grace to receive forgiveness for sins.

1 John|1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1 John|1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us

but only through faith can you recieve this gift

Dear John3:16,

And WHAT IS your faith?

In His Love,