• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

http://news.sky.com/story/1212846/snake-handling-tv-pastor-dies-from-snakebite

A snake-handling pastor who appeared on a National Geographic television reality show has died after being bitten by a snake.

Jamie Coots was bitten on the hand by a rattlesnake during a weekend church service in Kentucky.

After the bite, he dropped the snakes, but then picked them back up and continued on.

Rev Coots went home before emergency workers got to the Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name Church in Middlesboro.

The emergency workers then went to his house, but he refused medical treatment on grounds that he believed in faith healing, and declined to be taken to hospital.

When the emergency workers returned about an hour later, he was dead from a venomous bite, Middlesboro police said.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

Guess he missed the pasage about not tempting God

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

Handling snakes in a Church is foolish.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

It's also not so smart to do it in any other location.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

if it wernt for the fact that it was sad he died, I would find the irony amusing.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

if it wernt for the fact that it was sad he died, I would find the irony amusing.

Why does that not surprise me? :45:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I think this is evidence that sign gifts have definitely ceased since the 1st century. I believe Matthew 16:17-18 was only a test for believers during the lifetimes of the apostles, and doesn't apply to true believers today. Not one believer has been shown to genuinely meet ALL of these signs in the modern world!

The passage states, "17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Notice that "shall" which means "will" is used in all of these qualifications except one: the scenario in which deadly poison is consumed. The word "if" is used instead. It is stated that these other activities WILL be undertaken actively and purposefully by faithful believers -- NOT IF. Perhaps the only activity with "if," deadly poison drinking, would have been considered to be tempting God if done knowingly and purposefully: but the other activities are said to be a GIVEN and it is NOT stated that they are tempting God and sinning if they are willingly performing them before others. 

Therefore, I conclude that if sign gifts were for today, the man would NOT be tempting God if he was handling serpents in faith. HOWEVER, since I believe that sign gifts MUST have ceased based on the evidence, I think this man was deluded and failed to divide the WORD properly, believing the false doctrine of the Pentecostal/charismatic movement. Since he was deceived, God was not protecting him here and allowed the natural consequences of being bit by a venomous snake to take his life. It is still sad though that he died. That is why it is important to make sure your doctrine is as correct as possible.