Tristen

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,378
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

As stated by Fez, the purpose of this ministry is to "point people to Jesus". So I craft a response to an unbeliever with the motive of being "ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear" (1 Pet 3:15) only to find upon returning to the site that the thread has been closed.

Surely we can be secure enough in our faith to allow for questions and assess information provided by unbelievers - especially in a forum entitled "faith vs. science". Otherwise who are we 'pointing to Jesus' besides each other? Why should an unbeliever take anything we say seriously when we are too precious to consider, or even tolerate, dissenting opinions?

If our goal really is to "point people to Jesus", why are interesting threads closed when believers and unbelievers are respectfully engaging in discussion? It's not like new threads are constantly being created in this forum so that we need to let go of old threads to make way. Now I am unable respond in a thread of interest, and there are no new threads to respond to.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

Great post Tristen.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I think one of the main problems is when the discussions get to personal and heated.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Which thread are you referring to?

Usually, when a thread is locked, there's an explanation given as to why it happened.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

There are several reasons why a thread is locked or closed down.

Sometimes it is because they have run their course , other times they just are not in anyway edifying,

or they have no place on Worthy.

Remember Worthy is not Goggle, yahoo groups or Face book.

One of the main reasons for closure is that members often forget some simple rules. 

Ie:-

"Debate the subject, not the person.

It is possible to disagree about a doctrine or subject under discussion without insulting the person with whom you are debating.

Also remember that the fact that a person disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you as a person.

Respect each other in the love of God!

This is the main reason that threads get stopped, shut down"

God Bless. 

Nigel. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,378
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Which thread are you referring to?

Usually, when a thread is locked, there's an explanation given as to why it happened.

Hey chloe,

I've noticed several threads locked down in the last week or so;

- "Spark of life: Metabolism appears in lab without cells" was closed because a "Nonbeliever" referenced a secular website

- "Science Disproves Evolution" was closed because they had reached 528 posts

- "Science and Exegesis" (the one I had prepared a response to) was closed because the admin saw "no further use for this post" with regards to the  ministry goal of "pointing the lost to Jesus". I'm not sure how to practice "25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will." (2 Tim 2:24-26) if I am not permitted to respond to their stated position.

- "Creationists, I'd be interested in learning about your knowledge of evolution" was closed because of an impression that evolution was being discussed in the absence of "creationist commentary". This one is a bit odd to me since it seems that most responses to the thread were of creationist origin (including a response from myself).

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I will wait for any other Mod's to reply before deleting this thread. Please interact via PM if you have questions for the Mod's.

There are some of these Faith vs Science thread that run into hundreds of of posts by essentially the same small core group of members. The play no part in Ministering to new members or guests who may be confused, as they are certainly not Ministry, they are usually desultory comments repeated ad nauseum in the post, or dozens of past similar posts.  

We are here to point people to Jesus. These posts don't do this. Please read what the Outer court was created for.

The decision to pay more attention to this forum was taken by all mod's after exhaustive and lengthy discussion.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

Locked. 

Reason. >>

If you have a problem with any of the Moderators or Chat admin, please keep it private.

The moderation team serves this ministry on a voluntary basis. They are human beings and make mistakes.

If you disagree with one of their decisions, make use of the PM system or email or the Repost Post button to get satisfaction. (Matt. 18:15)

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I closed the thread for the reason that it was not in accordance to the Terms of Service. When I close a thread, I give a reason for closure.

Keep in mind what the Outer Court is for, which is stated in the Terms of Service.

The outer Court is an area where we allow anyone who wishes to learn more about our belief to ask questons and learn.

We will be closing any thread that does not fulfill the purpose of the Outer Court. Any thread is not seeking to understand why we believe as we do in Christ so people can learn will be closed. There are thousands of other site where people can have their secular discussion that remove God from the picture. If it is the persons desire to have such a discussion, find another site to do so.