creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

similar to legalism is what my friend told me is theologizing - where people make speculation about Biblical fact that aren't actually said about  the Bible  and sometimes  speak with tons of conviction  about them  as if their opinions are proven Biblical fact eg

1) I've heard it PREACHED that Adam wasn't deceived by the  forbidden fruit but rather completely knew that it would cause him to die but he ate it because he loved Eve and loved her so much he didn't want to be without her???? Um where is that???

2) Ive heard it preached that God uses people with shady pasts eg Mary Magdalene- prostitute -The bible in no way mentions Mary Magdalene was a prostitute.

3) A person once argued that Gravity doesn't exist because its not mentioned in the Bible. :hmmm:Well neither are cats, China ,  or germs. So are we to assume they don't exist either?

4) Another  person spoke with serious conviction that Michal (Sauls daughter) was struck wih barreness as punishment  by God for rebuking David for dancing before the ark. But while the bible says she bore no children. It in no way suggests God struck her with barrnenes as a punishment.

Any more??? 

Edited by creativemechanic

All

And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:24-25

Creatures

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

Great And Small

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

~

A person once argued....

that Gravity doesn't exist....

because its not mentioned in the Bible....

hmmm: Well neither are cats, China....

or germs....

So are we to assume they don't exist either....

....more??? 

~

Yes Dear One, Germs And Hatred And Other Stuff

And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. Matthew 24:6-12

And Beloved, You Need To Read

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

And To Believe

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

More

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

?

Beloved, Is There Anything Else

Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; Job 38:4-6

Within The Holy Bible

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

That Troubles

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

You?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Theology is not a laughing matter, so I moved this to Doctrinal Questions where scripture will be taken seriously and people's theology can be discussed without being seen as a joke.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

similar to legalism is what my friend told me is theologizing - where people make speculation about Biblical fact that aren't actually said about  the Bible  and sometimes  speak with tons of conviction  about them  as if their opinions are proven Biblical fact eg

1) I've heard it PREACHED that Adam wasn't deceived by the  forbidden fruit but rather completely knew that it would cause him to die but he ate it because he loved Eve and loved her so much he didn't want to be without her???? Um where is that???

2) Ive heard it preached that God uses people with shady pasts eg Mary Magdalene- prostitute -The bible in no way mentions Mary Magdalene was a prostitute.

3) A person once argued that Gravity doesn't exist because its not mentioned in the Bible. :hmmm:Well neither are cats, China ,  or germs. So are we to assume they don't exist either?

Any more??? 

I see you are concerned about what other people think or say.  What are your thoughts on these matters?  What does scripture tell you?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The necessity of hermeneutics is more or less the product the imperfection of human language.

I say "ABC" meaning "123" you hear "E=MC2" and you get my order for lunch wrong. Tuna on rye?!!!

Jesus said the Law and the Prophets (a way of referring to the Bible) hinge on the commandments to love God and your neighbor as yourself.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

similar to legalism is what my friend told me is theologizing - where people make speculation about Biblical fact that aren't actually said about the Bible and sometimes speak with tons of conviction about them as if their opinions are proven Biblical fact eg

1) I've heard it PREACHED that Adam wasn't deceived by the forbidden fruit but rather completely knew that it would cause him to die but he ate it because he loved Eve and loved her so much he didn't want to be without her???? Um where is that???

1Timothy 2:14 clearly states that Adam wasn't actually deceived, but Eve was.

People who say this actually conflate the story in Luke 7:36-39 and John 11:3, though the Bible never explicitly stated that the woman in Luke 7 is Mary Magdalene, but it does tell us that she had a horrible past life - Luke 8:2.

3) A person once argued that Gravity doesn't exist because its not mentioned in the Bible. :hmmm:Well neither are cats, China , or germs. So are we to assume they don't exist either?

Any more???

That's about the weirdest thing I've heard this year. Edited by Emmisal

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

I think Mary Magdaline had seven demons cast out of her, one good way to pick unwanted spirits is joining yourself with others where your flesh becomes as one, one place to get a spiritual transfusion.

then again you have to imagine what kind of work could a demon possessed girl hold, and what would these demons be driving her to do, what behaviors do demons provoke their subjects to do

while its not stated in scripture, considering the all the people Jesus chose to be His disciples, it only makes sense that He had a few ex-prostitutes hanging around

• Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  08/12/1986

4) Another  person spoke with serious conviction that Michal (Sauls daughter) was struck wih barreness as punishment  by God for rebuking David for dancing before the ark. But while the bible says she bore no children. It in no way suggests God struck her with barrnenes as a punishment.

Any more??? 

1 is mentioned by Paul in one of his letters.

2 is a view of a pope a better example of using people with shady pasts is Matthew the tax collector.

3 There many things the bible does not talk about that is true but there are not about our salvation, believing in gravity does not in any way help you come to faith.

4 I think she was barren and that is why David took another wife, so he could have children.

It is mentioned in the New Testament that Adam wasn't deceived, but it never says why he chose to eat the fruit.  The reason is where speculation comes in to play.  I would agree that a tax collector is a better example, but in all fairness, we don't know if Matthew was a dishonest tax collector.  I have never heard someone make that claim about gravity, or say that just because something isn't mentioned in scripture, it doesn't exist.  As for Michal, my personal opinion is that David didn't know her again in the Biblical sense after what she did, but just like the barrenness claim, this is just speculation.  I would agree that sometimes we tend to put our own two cents into a story for good measure, but in the cases mentioned here, I have never claimed any of those things were Biblical facts when I preached a message.  I always tried to avoid saying things in absolute terms when it comes to historical claims or things added to a story based on a book or someone else's sermon.  I think we should be careful about things like that.  I think it was Qnts that mentioned how some claim  the "eye of a needle" was a narrow passageway, and I do remember reading that once in a book, but I never trusted it. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Any more??? 

1) Yeah I've heard people say that but it is such a silly argument to me and most likely just a person who is clutching at explanations for things they don't understand. Often trying to make it fit in. Generally I hear it used in justifying a a passage in letter to Timothy. Once again that comes down to interpretation. What is meant when the bible says Eve gave some to Adam who was with her. Does it mean that while Eve was being deceived that Adam was with her? In that case the bible says outright willful disobediance is better than being deceived! Or does it mean she gave some to Adam who was also in the garden like Eve was but not physically with her as in next to her at the time.

2) While that may be true there certainly is plenty of evidence that God does use people with shady pasts. Of course there is evidence that God uses people without shady pasts as well. Or in other words God can use anyone and everyone. Also worth noting the term shady past would be distinguishing different types of sins as being worse than others.

3) Yeah always interesting that argument. Really makes no sense. To me there is three categories that everything falls into. They are 

a) Biblical. Means it is in the bible and the bible supports it

b) Unbiblical.  Means it is in the bible and the bible does not support it.

c) Extra biblical. Means it is not in the bible and the bible does not support it or approve it.

In regards to that last category it does not mean the bible does not speak on certain topics because they are not clearly mentioned. For example while illicit drugs that exist today are not mentioned there are several passages that talk about our body being a temple or keeping a sober mind that to me say that drugs are wrong. Add in that we should follow earthly authorities and those drugs are against the law then that also speaks against their use. 

4) Being barren was seen as being a punishment from God. That was part of the Jewish culture of the time. So while it may not be stated it is certainly understandable that it would be the understanding of the people of the day and the author. Does that make the statement true? Well not sure on that.

Edited by another_poster