OldSchool2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting OP.  So the exaltation of some may discourage others from even trying?  It seems to me that could very well be true to some extent.  More reason to give to keep our focus on Jesus.  It occurs to me that the story of Peter and Jesus walking on the water applies. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,058
  • Content Per Day:  14.92

Interesting OP.  So the exaltation of some may discourage others from even trying?  It seems to me that could very well be true to some extent.  More reason to give to keep our focus on Jesus.  It occurs to me that the story of Peter and Jesus walking on the water applies. 

How so?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Still haven't figured out how to quote here...but to answer Nobody 2441's question,

I think the story of Jesus and Peter walking on the water applies to the OP because the idea is that when one looks at their own capabilities within a given situation (like Peter looking around and realizing that he is walking on water...and shouldn't be), one could be tempted to focus on their own inadequacies and the possibility of failing.  Think about it...if Peter had taken the time to assess how inadequate he was to walk on water all by himself a few minutes earlier, he might never have gotten out of the boat...just like those people (back to the OP) who choose not to try to become a scientist because they compare themselves to their idols.  I find that when I am challenged to go "out of my comfort zone", I have much better success if I keep my focus on Jesus.  I hope that helps explain my comment a little better.

Edited by Joshua260

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,058
  • Content Per Day:  14.92

Still haven't figured out how to quote here...but to answer Nobody 2441's question,

I think the story of Jesus and Peter walking on the water applies to the OP because the idea is that when one looks at their own capabilities within a given situation (like Peter looking around and realizing that he is walking on water...and shouldn't be), one could be tempted to focus on their own inadequacies and the possibility of failing.  Think about it...if Peter had taken the time to assess how inadequate he was to walk on water all by himself a few minutes earlier, he might never have gotten out of the boat...just like those people (back to the OP) who choose not to try to become a scientist because they compare themselves to their idols.  I find that when I am challenged to go "out of my comfort zone", I have much better success if I keep my focus on Jesus.  I hope that helps explain my comment a little better.

Yes, I understand what you're saying.

• Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.72
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

"Role models portrayed as superhuman don’t always motivate students—instead, they risk discouraging kids who feel they can't live up to the lofty standards."

from The Atlantic:

"When role models become too romanticized, their fame can have the opposite effect of intimidating those who wish to enter the field. This is what Des Jardins calls the Marie Curie complex. 'If we create these myths of people being uber-people and thus good scientists, many of us earthlings are not equipped,' she said. 'You will disqualify the majority of people in science when they feel like they won’t measure up ...'"

Idolatry forbidden

Deuteronomy 4:15-You saw no form of any kind the day the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the fire. Therefore watch yourselves very carefully, 16 so that you do not become corrupt and make for yourselves an idol, an image of any shape, whether formed like a man or a woman, 17 or like any animal on earth or any bird that flies in the air, 18 or like any creature that moves along the ground or any fish in the waters below. (NIV)

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/02/1974

I'm late. So, I admit that I didn't read all 44 posts before me. Some may have (probably did) said what I'm about to.

Copernicus, Newton, Galileo...all Christian, all contributed some of the greatest fundamentals to our science. Without them we never would have attained the scientific understanding we have now.

Science and Christianity aren't at odds. idolizing scientists isn't anti Christian ,either. Unless you use the word idol in the Ten Commandments sense. Putting anything before God is sinful.

We can "look up" to great minds as much as we look up to "great hearts", each for their own reasons. The only sin comes in putting our "idols" before God. Great minds, hearts, or bodies...all glorify God(not put them before God, for sure). Which is why I'd use a different term than Idol.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

I think praising scientist is the least priority in ranking. 

If you want to stop praising someone, should first start with 

Athletes -> Does nothing to benefit mankind but only glorify themselves in their abilities (mostly genetic)  There is no where on Earth that I find athletes idolize as much as  in America.

Actors -> Most of them are famous for their looks, slightly benefit mankind in terms of some entertainment

Artist -> Similar to Actors, but they do contribute more in terms of works of art and literature that inspire

At least famous scientists did something that contributed to mankind's knowledge of the world and potentially raise living standards. Reversing the degree of praising (and pay) from the above categories would do much good for society in my opinion, at least it would encourage more people to pursue ideas that benefit mankind instead of focus on how well someone's body perform an activity.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

I agree with UDX here, anything we can do to get kids interested in math and/or science is a good thing.

I would much rather praise Francis Collins or John Tukey than I would Kobe or Tom Brady

anything we can do to get kids interested in math and/or science is a good thing....

:thumbsup:

With Truth

Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth. John 17:17 (New Living Translation)

And In Great Love

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (New International Version)

Anything We Can Do

Always be joyful.

Never stop praying.

Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

Do not stifle the Holy Spirit.

Do not scoff at prophecies,

but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.

Stay away from every kind of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-22 (New Living Translation)

To Get Kids Interested In Their Creator

Then Jesus called for the children and said to the disciples, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children. Luke 18:16 (New Living Translation)

Is An Eternally Far Better Thing

And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it. Mark 8:34-35 (English Standard Version)

Than Bowing With Them

For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? For what can a man give in return for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” Mark 8:36-38 (English Standard Version)

To

Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, 1 Timothy 6:20 (New International Version)

Idols

Don't let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. Colossians 2:8 (New Living Translation)

endtrans