• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

http://uk.businessinsider.com/obama-people-committed-terrible-deeds-in-the-name-of-christ-2015-2?r=US

President Barack Obama wants Christians to know Islam is not the only religion that has inspired violence and terror.

"Unless we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," Obama said Wednesday. "And in our home country, slavery, and Jim Crow, all too often was justified in the name of Christ."

Obama made the comments while giving a major speech on religion at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C. Citing Islamic, Jewish, and Christian scripture, Obama touted his own faith.

"This prayer tradition has brought us together, giving us the opportunity to come together in humility before the Almighty and to be reminded of what it is that we share as children of God," he said. "And certainly for me this is always a chance to reflect on my own faith journey. No matter the challenge He has been there for all of us. He certainly strengthened me through the power of his spirit."

Obama went on to condemn violent jihadists who are "betraying" Islam. He specifically called out the Islamic State group that has "carried out unspeakable acts of barbarism" in the Middle East and the militants who recently massacred the employees of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

"This is not unique to one group or one religion," Obama cautioned. "There is a tendency in us, a sinful tendency, that can pervert and distort our faith. And in today's world when hate groups have their own Twitter accounts and bigotry can fester in hidden places in cyberspace, it can be even harder to combat such intolerance. But God compels us to try."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

I did read that...:(

What can we say? I don't belong here anymore...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  257
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1959

What part of what he said was false?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

It's Obama's words that are suspicious.

He mentions terrible things that Christians have done in the past but fails to mention that their behaviour was not justified by scripture.

Yet at the same time he claims that terrorists are "betraying Islam" but conveniently ignores the fact these jihadists are following their scripture to the letter.

In one single speech he is confusing the issue and using misleading statements to make it sound as if all religions are the same, deliberately lingering on negative behaviour by Christians and at the same time is attempting to whitewash Islam.

If I didn't know any better I would claim that Obama is ignorant of both beliefs. My suspicions however, tell me that he is not.

Guest shiloh357

Obama tries to draw an equivalence between Islam which has always been spread by the sword and the Crusades which were a response to Muslim violence against Christian pilgrims in route to the Holy Land.  The Crusades were in response to Muslim aggression.  The Crusades were not an attempt to spread Christianity.

I don't defend the Crusades because unlike Islam, those who were violent in the name of Jesus were not followers of Christ.  Many of the membes of Crusader armies were convicts who were recruited to fight for the Pope. 

The Crusades are one of the most misunderstood aspects of Church history.   The crusades were limited in time and scope, but Islam is bent upon world domination and sees itself in an eternal struggle against the rest of the nonMuslim world.  Islam has historically been a blood thirsty religion in accordance with the Koran.    The violence of the Crusaders and the inquisitions were a departure from Scipture.    But Islamic violencd like what we see with ISIS is in accordance with the Koran and is the true face of Islam.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

Equating the two religions is the same as comparing the actions of Jesus and Muhamed and saying they are morally the same.  Not only is this blasphemous, it's repugnant and idiotic.

Christ was sinless, perfect in every way, He had to be, it was the only way we could all be redeemed for our sins.

Muhamed was not.  He was a killer, fornicator, liar, and a thief.  He and his generals/disciples spread his message by the sword.

Jesus and His disciples spread their message through peace and love.

Now, because people took on the name of Christ about a thousand years after His death and used His name to justify violence, doesn't mean Christianity is flawed, only its followers.  Which we all must admit before we can even become Christians.

You can't say that about the muslims, however.  Ever since muhamed trampled the earth he and his followers have been butchering, raping, pillaging and robbing anyone that wasn't a muhammedin.

No Christian can, in good conscience, compare Christ to Muhamed, but that's what is occurring when they are being apologists for islam and critics of Christianity.

True Christians try to be more like Christ, and true muslims try to be more like muhamed. How can the two be morally equivalent?

You cannot scapegoat Christianity for the Crusades unless you are willing to say that Christ advocated it.  Muhamed did advocate violence and brutality against his enemies. 

The Crusades were not an act of genocide, that progressives would have us believe.  It was a reaction to the unprovoked aggression of the muhammedin against the West.

Look how far North the muhammedin made it before the West began driving them back.

Guest Teditis

It's Obama's words that are suspicious.

He mentions terrible things that Christians have done in the past but fails to mention that their behaviour was not justified by scripture.

Yet at the same time he claims that terrorists are "betraying Islam" but conveniently ignores the fact these jihadists are following their scripture to the letter.

In one single speech he is confusing the issue and using misleading statements to make it sound as if all religions are the same, deliberately lingering on negative behaviour by Christians and at the same time is attempting to whitewash Islam.

If I didn't know any better I would claim that Obama is ignorant of both beliefs. My suspicions however, tell me that he is not.

Excellent point(s)... thanks for highlighting these things.

Justin:

Do you find Christians today to be less flawed and more like Jesus than those 1000 years ago?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

I am not one to judge the Christian Church, SA.  According to the Gospel, if you think about lying to someone you are a liar, so actions alone don't prove we are flawed, but our thoughts and feelings too.

Everyone is a sinner, no man is more righteous than any other, we all fall short.  The world is just as barbaric as it was a thousand years ago.  The US has not been immune to the barbarity.  Look at all the wars and lives lost since the US was created.

Murderers are still murdering, mothers still sacrificing their children to the fire, fornicators are still fornicating, liars are still lying, thieves are still stealing, pagans are still pagans.

Moral relativism is a fantasy created by wicked people who do not want to live righteously.

Islam and all other pagan religions are evil, and all of the followers of those religions are evil because they all worship something other than the One and only.  1st Commandment.

Christians are evil too, because we are sinners, but by the Grace of Jesus Christ He has forgiven us of our sins.  We must call on Him acknowledge Him for who He is and what He did and ask forgiveness for our sins.

Justin:

I could not agree more with your post!