IGNORED

Garbage man setenced to 30 days in jail for what?

Guest LadyC

the judge says the employee is responsible for starting the truck. most likely the employee starts the truck at whatever time his boss tells him to so that he doesn't lose his job. the bigwigs in the company need to be the ones doing jail time. jailing the employees will not solve the problem because there will always be someone else needing the paycheck.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

That is possible, but not necessarily reality.  In our city, the owners are rarely on site when trash collection is started.. That may not be the standard everywhere.....   I might just send them both to jail.....   but then again the city attorney would have to bring charges against both.....    still I have had to tell Xerox that there were certain things I would not do, and they didn't fire me over it.   If they require you to break the law and you are fired over saying no, they leave themselves open for legal action against them.

Guest LadyC

That is possible, but not necessarily reality.  In our city, the owners are rarely on site when trash collection is started.. That may not be the standard everywhere.....   I might just send them both to jail.....   but then again the city attorney would have to bring charges against both.....    still I have had to tell Xerox that there were certain things I would not do, and they didn't fire me over it.   If they require you to break the law and you are fired over saying no, they leave themselves open for legal action against them.

it should be that way, yes. but for some reason, there are a lot of people out there that will just do as they're told out of fear of losing their paycheck. i mentioned my husband is a truck driver a few times. when we lived in vegas. there was one employer he used to work for that would run them illegally all the time, and require them to cheat the log books. finally they got fed up and said 'no more'. they still made the runs, but they logged them accurately. when their boss got audited by corporate and discovered all the illegal runs the guys were making, the boss got called to the carpet. and then he pulled the carpet down on my husband and the other guys.

all three of them were suspended without pay until they turned in doctored logs dating back four months. i made him lock up the originals in our safe. i figured if anything ever happened to him from lack of sleep while driving, i'd own that company.

i'd like to say that was one company and it's the exception rather than the rule, but that would be untrue. 

oh, and while i'm thinking of it... all it would take is for drivers, garbage truck operators, whatever, to record their boss's instructions or have something to document them being ordered to start early. of course the bosses aren't going to be there when the drivers start work. they don't have to be there! that doesn't mean they aren't responsible and can't be held accountable. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't know the circumstances of this particular incident....   or if the owner even knew, or if the guy told the Judge that he might loose his  job if he didn't start early......   and that's the problem of getting specific about this incident....    I'm just giving the judge the benefit of the doubt for he is the one having to deal with the problem.

If people really don't like it then they should change the law.

Guest LadyC

I don't know the circumstances of this particular incident....   or if the owner even knew, or if the guy told the Judge that he might loose his  job if he didn't start early......   and that's the problem of getting specific about this incident....    I'm just giving the judge the benefit of the doubt for he is the one having to deal with the problem.

If people really don't like it then they should change the law.

i do understand. but in the article it said that this was only THIS guy's first offense, and that in the past, fines did not stop the problem of garbage truck drivers starting early. so this is apparently an on-going problem. i don't know if they've fined the company or the drivers in the past, but my guess is the company. i know many companies that run drivers illegally are willing to take the risk of an occasional fine. it's just figured into their operating expenses. so i do understand you giving the benefit of the doubt. but i'd be willing to bet my last dollar that they are doing what their boss demands.

personally i just don't understand the mentality of so many men who refuse to stand up to their bosses and just say no. no job is worth breaking the law for IMO.